Skip to main content
Topic: Pre game Banter: AFL 2020 Rd 14: Carlton vs Collingwood (Read 11815 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Pre game Banter: AFL 2020 Rd 14: Carlton vs Collingwood

Reply #60
I found this elsewhere.  Getting towards Outer Limits

Interesting facts:

The Blues have won six games and lost six games from 12 in total: but the stats extend far beyond that.

The Blues currently have a percentage of 100 per cent, having scored and conceded 756 points in 2020. The inaccuracy in front of goal on the weekend also means the Blues have kicked 108 goals and 108 behinds.

They’ve also won a game after the siren (Round 12), lost one after the siren (Round 7), won by a solitary point (Round 4), lost by a solitary point (Round 2), have won two games in a row twice and lost two games in a row twice.

Let’s knock off the Pies.

We will.

Pies have been ordinary against anyone decent.

Got smashed by the Dees and even whipped by the Dockers, in between soft wins against the Crows, Swans and North (last night).

Blues by 41.
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #61

We will.

Pies have been ordinary against anyone decent.

Got smashed by the Dees and even whipped by the Dockers, in between soft wins against the Crows, Swans and North (last night).

Blues by 41.
That is confidence.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #62
Who makes the team better?

Kennedy or Cottrell?

Do i need to give you the answer?  :D

(Pies aren't a quick side....certainly not minus Sidebottom, De Goey and Howe)

Kennedy is clearly the better player at present.....but in saying that, Cottrell is a better runner and more physical. Long term i think he will inherit the tagging role from Ed. Pies have a few talented midfielders i wouldn't mind trying to stop....

For team balance, i think we'd be better off playing both and dropping a ruck.....but nobody deserves to be dropped.

Reply #63
He bamboozled a bunch of 20 year olds on the boundary line multiple times, and looked as agile as ever.

I feel dropping a few marks in greasy conditions isn't a reason to blame him for the world of unrelated sins, so I do not think too much can be read into it!

McKay has hands like a couple of bobcat buckets and twice the ball flew straight through barely hindered by his presence!

I’m still none the wiser who (in your opinion) the conditions actually suited ?
Let’s go BIG !

Reply #64
Agreed LP...that McKay one from point blank range was almost laughable. I know there's blokes who are equally adept on either foot, some more than others, but to be so totally one sided these days is hard to fathom.
Shizen it was embarrassing, he could have thrown it onto his right foot and it would have rolled that far!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #65
Kennedy is clearly the better player at present.....but in saying that, Cottrell is a better runner and more physical. Long term i think he will inherit the tagging role from Ed. Pies have a few talented midfielders i wouldn't mind trying to stop....

For team balance, i think we'd be better off playing both and dropping a ruck.....but nobody deserves to be dropped.

I think Kennedy is quite physical in the way he plays. Watch him. Cottrell has that Mitch Robinson kamikaze look about him IMHO , which makes him look more physical than others. Whether its energy well spent lets see over time. Robbo has learnt to play smarter over the journey since he left us I think. He is still no good with a mike in his hand though!

Reply #66
I think Kennedy is quite physical in the way he plays. Watch him. Cottrell has that Mitch Robinson kamikaze look about him IMHO , which makes him look more physical than others. Whether its energy well spent lets see over time. Robbo has learnt to play smarter over the journey since he left us I think. He is still no good with a mike in his hand though!
Cottrell is a bit cheeky and doesnt mind a word much like Robbo, Kennedy is very stoic and traditional how he plays...like having both of them in the team. Big test for both this week, Pies have a good midfield even with some real star power out, reckon Tom Philips would be a good target for Cottrell to tag..

Reply #67
I hope, being by far our biggest game since 2013, we don't $hit the bed.

Reply #68
PLAYER   INJURY   ESTIMATED RETURN
 Dayne Beams    Mental health    Indefinite
 Jordan De Goey    Finger    3-5 weeks
 Jeremy Howe     Knee    3-5 weeks
 Will Kelly    Elbow    Season
 Brody Mihocek    Concussion    Test
 Isaac Quaynor     Shin    Test
 Ben Reid    Hamstring    2-3 weeks
 Steele Sidebottom    Personal    Indefinite
 Brayden Sier    Quad    3-4 weeks
 Adam Treloar    Hamstring     2-3 weeks
Updated: Tuesday, August 25

Early prognosis
Collingwood remains hopeful that both De Goey and Howe will return for the club's finals campaign, should it qualify. Its chances of doing that will be bolstered by the return of Mihocek from a concussion for Sunday's clash with Carlton. Quaynor could also recover from a nasty gashed shin, but Treloar and Reid are still at least a fortnight away. Sidebottom returns to Victoria this week for the birth of his child. - Riley Beveridge

Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #69
I hope, being by far our biggest game since 2013, we don't $hit the bed.
Jim..you can keep those clean clean sheets in the cupboard, Blues by 3-5 goals IMO....Pies have too many key players out
and cant see them kicking enough goals unless someone like Elliott has a day out.

Reply #70
Forecast is very good.

Sunday 30 August
Summary Min 13   Max 23

Partly cloudy.Chance of any rain: 5%

Brisbane area

Partly cloudy. Light winds.
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #71
Jim..you can keep those clean clean sheets in the cupboard, Blues by 3-5 goals IMO....Pies have too many key players out
and cant see them kicking enough goals unless someone like Elliott has a day out.

If we beat the Filth this week, I think I will more than likely shed a tear. If a few other results go our way, I may well have an aneurysm!!
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #72
I don't understand why there is so little respect for Carlton in the media. While our recent history has been poor, while any prognostication about our future should be tempered and other than the fact the media is full of Carlton haters, I don't understand why people aren't a bit more bullish about our prospects. We have a strong goal to goal line, a solid back line, depth in our rucks, a good midfield with depth, and a lot of variety in our forward half. Over 75% of our list is 25 years or younger, so there is plenty of growth there and we have had plenty of injuries, especially to some of our better players, yet we sit in striking distance of the finals. The narrative at the moment is that Carlton will probably beat Adelaide and Sydney, but lose to Collingwood, GWS and Brisbane and therefore miss out on the finals. This might be the outcome, but I believe winning all five games is just as likely an outcome.
Earlier this year I went to the Carlton-Collingwood practice match and I came away with the belief that we had a lot of depth and that Collingwood had very little. While the media always talk about the magpie horror run with injuries, the fact we haven't had Curnow, Kreuzer, Silvagni, Newman, and Marchbank all season, and there has been continuous injuries to McGovern, McKay, Cuningham, Kennedy, Dow and Fisher and still be on the improve seems to go unnoticed.
Collingwood is tracking how Carlton went 20 years ago. A surprise appearance in the 99 Grand Final, a disappointing exit in the Preliminary final the next year, and a nothing final series in 2001, then gloom and doom. Collingwood has a strong defence, a thin but good midfield, and a forward line that can only kick goals when the midfield is dominant. People look at the first quarter frenzy in the 2018 Grand Final and the last quarter frenzy in the 2019 Preliminary Final and say how dangerous their forward line is,  but what they don't talk about is the six quarters where they barely scored. Last year some clown in the media said that the Collingwood midfield was the best ever assembled in AFL history. I think we can all see how stupid that statement was. While Grundy is an excellent ruckman, he can be passive during the game and is often only involved in the parts of the game he is involved in like in last years preliminary final where he got most of the tap outs, but only had a presence in the last quarter. Collingwood's midfiled, consists of Pendlebury, Greenwood, Adams, Trelore and Sidebottom, but there is not a lot else. It was a bit like when we use to have Murphy, Gibbs, Curnow and Cripps, and not much else. One injury and we were in trouble. Now we have Murphy, Curnow, Cripps, Setterfield, Walsh, and Kennedy with Gibbons, Martin, Fisher, Newnes and others running through there. In the last two weeks, Curnow was best on the ground and then Murphy was best, and Cripps seems to be getting better each week. Early in the year, the media had a real set about putting down Walsh. Walsh, number one draft pick, won the rising star by the most votes ever, was somehow barely in the top ten of his year. Clearly getting 20 plus kick each week, taking mark of the year and kicking goals, means you are not much good if you play for Carlton.
The two times we have beaten Collingwood in recent years, our midfield has been on top of theirs. We will need to do this again. If we do this the Collingwood's forwards will struggle to score, however we need to make more of our opportunitites than we have done so over the past couple of weeks against Fremantle and Gold Coast, toher wise the Colling wood defence will keep them in the game and leave us open to one of Collingwood's forward frenzy where they kick multiple goals in a short period of time.
We really should win this one, but we got ahead of ourselves against Hawthorn, so it will probably be another white knuckle ride.

Reply #73
I'd beg to differ on the filth's defence.

Last week against North:

[25] Jack Crisp, 147 games, ok. 190cm, 90kg
[23] Jordan Roughead, 200cm, doesn't do much. last legs?
[44] Jack Madgen 27yo, 15 games, ex basketballer. 192cm, 98kg.
FB
[37] Brayden Maynard, solid player, 110 games. 189cm, 90kg.
[30] Darcy Moore, 203cm, will take Harry?
[9] John Noble 16 games. 180cm, 72kg,

Noble on Betts presumably? Who gets Martin?

No one is slippery enough, not even close, to go with Martin from that group. I'll guess they'll try Maynard.

Or Gibbo?

If we use H, Levi and TDK up forward - all three are very good marks. Who takes our 3rd tall? Madgen?

Good luck with that.

We had them last year at the G before a bit of composure and the rotten umpires intervened....they were flying then too.

This year, we've a better team on the park (inclusions like Jones, Martin, Doc, Pitto, TDK, Newnes, Betts and likely, Kennedy)

From their line up in 2019, they'll be missing Howe, JdeG, Treloar, Stephenson and Sidebottom but gain Adams.

So they're down two critical mids, their main driver off HB (and intercept marker) in Howe and de Goey.
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #74
We stand a decent chance.  The sniff of advancing further up the ladder would be a huge incentive.