Skip to main content
Topic: Pre game Banter: AFL 2020 Rd 14: Carlton vs Collingwood (Read 11595 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Pre game Banter: AFL 2020 Rd 14: Carlton vs Collingwood

Reply #30
Owies kicked another 3 goals in the ressies. At what point does he push Eddie out? I have always thought you have to reward effort and if the guy keeps consistently hitting the scoreboard he has to play.

Dow seems to have been good again and another who probably needs to be playing now.

History shows if you leave guys in the ressies who are performing well they leave and go to another club who will give them a go.
Agree on Owies ...I was impressed a couple of times saw him play for the NB's...leads well, can find space and a good kick for goal.
If it was anyone else but Eddie he would probably be given a game but Eddie even out of form isnt going to get dropped anytime soon IMO as he seems to have a positive effect on Martin and Gibbons as they all team nicely together.
Gibbons or Murphy you could maybe rest to give Owies a go but given finals are still a chance its unlikely.

Reply #31
Agree on Owies ...I was impressed a couple of times saw him play for the NB's...leads well, can find space and a good kick for goal.
If it was anyone else but Eddie he would probably be given a game but Eddie even out of form isnt going to get dropped anytime soon IMO as he seems to have a positive effect on Martin and Gibbons as they all team nicely together.
Gibbons or Murphy you could maybe rest to give Owies a go but given finals are still a chance its unlikely.

I’m not so sure that Eddie is out of form.  He hasn’t kicked goals but his forward pressure and ball use has set up plenty of scoring opportunities.

Owies seems to be developing into a very good small forward but, if he gets a game, it’s more likely to be at the expense of Fisher or Gibbons.

It is a healthy sign that we have a couple of players pushing for selection for several spots.  It’s also a healthy sign that we’re not rushing new players into the 22 but are allowing them to develop.  I don’t think that too many of our youngsters will be looking for spots elsewhere, particularly with reduced lists on the cards.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #32
need to stop there run from our fwd50,so it up to our fwds to prevent easy exit

Reply #33
I’m not so sure that Eddie is out of form.  He hasn’t kicked goals but his forward pressure and ball use has set up plenty of scoring opportunities.

Owies seems to be developing into a very good small forward but, if he gets a game, it’s more likely to be at the expense of Fisher or Gibbons.

It is a healthy sign that we have a couple of players pushing for selection for several spots.  It’s also a healthy sign that we’re not rushing new players into the 22 but are allowing them to develop.  I don’t think that too many of our youngsters will be looking for spots elsewhere, particularly with reduced lists on the cards.
I have been strong on Eddie retiring, has been teaming well with Martin, Gibbons but I think his time has come and we should celebrate his career and I would be happy to employ him as a skills coach and doing PR work for the club.
If we do secure a small forward of note I dont see how with reduced list sizes we can keep him on the list..

Reply #34
Hard to see Fisher going out....the one thing he does bring is real good leg speed....not something we're overly blessed with. And Murphy BOG on the weekend against GC...hard to see him going out. Cottrell might be the unlucky one if Kennedy is fit.

Definitely stick with the two ruckman. TDK is very athletic and can go forward....with him, Harry and Casboult, we can stretch them for sure if we can get plenty of ball like last weekend.

Reply #35
If not for the slippery pill last Friday Betts would have had about 5 or 6 shots at goal from inside F50, that's pretty good form for a small forward, the hardest part of the gig is finding space and he found plenty.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #36
Hard to see Fisher going out....the one thing he does bring is real good leg speed....not something we're overly blessed with. And Murphy BOG on the weekend against GC...hard to see him going out. Cottrell might be the unlucky one if Kennedy is fit.

Definitely stick with the two ruckman. TDK is very athletic and can go forward....with him, Harry and Casboult, we can stretch them for sure if we can get plenty of ball like last weekend.
Of all our players, TDK seems to be the one who is going to have a break out game sooner rather than later. And when he does, look out!!! He is coming along nicely but the time is near where he will, dominate centre bounces, clunk some marks, kick some goals and take a game by the scruff of the neck. Its coming, you can see it.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #37
Re TDK, as exciting a prospect as he is, I'm keeping my fingers crossed that he can just get through the rest of the year without injury. He just needs some continuity. Then build on the physique in the preseason and i'm sure the rest will come. Early days yet but he seems to be something special in the making.

Reply #38

Perfect opportunity will be for the Swans games from a 5 day break in the middle of the all that run of games that we have . Will give Eddie a rest and freshen up for the run home and finals if we make it.

Reply #39
Perfect opportunity will be for the Swans games from a 5 day break in the middle of the all that run of games that we have . Will give Eddie a rest and freshen up for the run home and finals if we make it.

Its a fair point, but re freshen up....They are almost certainly having a week off before finals....potentially 2 depending on the whole quarantine thing and which state its all being played in!

Reply #40
If not for the slippery pill last Friday Betts would have had about 5 or 6 shots at goal from inside F50, that's pretty good form for a small forward, the hardest part of the gig is finding space and he found plenty.
If not for the Tattslotto machine throwing out the wrong ping pong balls last Saturday night I could have had 5-6 numbers...😉
Marc Murphy as an older player didnt seem to have much trouble handling the ball....

Reply #41
If not for the Tattslotto machine throwing out the wrong ping pong balls last Saturday night I could have had 5-6 numbers...😉
Marc Murphy as an older player didnt seem to have much trouble handling the ball....
True, but you can't ignore that Betts had the ball in his arms on the full inside F50 multiple times, and in conditions that did not really suit him.

If there is a criticism it can't be that his good form isn't good enough, but that it not consistent. Even so it's hard to argue that he isn't bringing something to the team, and I say that as a very early critic of his recruitment.

Betts deserves credit where credit is due, he has been better than I expected!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #42
True, but you can't ignore that Betts had the ball in his arms on the full inside F50 multiple times, and in conditions that did not really suit him.

If there is a criticism it can't be that his good form isn't good enough, but that it not consistent. Even so it's hard to argue that he isn't bringing something to the team, and I say that as a very early critic of his recruitment.

Betts deserves credit where credit is due, he has been better than I expected!

If the conditions on Friday didn’t suit Eddie then just who did they suit ?

Friday Eddie looked like his reflexes had slipped and it surprised him, I don’t want to pension him off early but time waits for no man !
He hasn’t had much return for effort over the past few weeks, but started the season brilliantly.
He’ll play out the season before a judgement is made imho.
Let’s go BIG !

Reply #43
If the conditions on Friday didn’t suit Eddie then just who did they suit ?

Friday Eddie looked like his reflexes had slipped and it surprised him, I don’t want to pension him off early but time waits for no man !
He hasn’t had much return for effort over the past few weeks, but started the season brilliantly.
He’ll play out the season before a judgement is made imho.
He bamboozled a bunch of 20 year olds on the boundary line multiple times, and looked as agile as ever.

I feel dropping a few marks in greasy conditions isn't a reason to blame him for the world of unrelated sins, so I do not think too much can be read into it!

McKay has hands like a couple of bobcat buckets and twice the ball flew straight through barely hindered by his presence!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #44
Some of the negativity towards Eddie is a bit strange.  I reckon we have improved this year due a lot to the following:
- A stable back 6 led by Doc. Yes JW is having an outstanding year but don't underestimate Doc's impact from a structures and coaching point of view.
- Rucks giving a decent contest.
- Mids helping Cripps with some heavy lifting.
- Eddie marshalling the troops in the fwd line. You can see he is constantly directing them where to go, how to position themselves. At times it has looked shambolic but it is starting to really Gel and I reckon he has had abit to do with it.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time