Skip to main content
Topic: Rd 19: Carlton vs Freo: Post Match Pain Again (Read 37537 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Rd 19: Carlton vs Freo: Post Match Pain Again

Reply #60
We are missing a quality small  forward.    If we had one last night,,, we win

Reply #61
We are missing a quality small  forward.    If we had one last night,,, we win

We have two. One was out with bone bruising. The other is doing who knows what in the NB's.
Why did the Carlton FC fall? So they could learn to pick themselves up.

Reply #62
Certainly there was plenty more on show last night to feel cheerful about. We may well have turned a corner and are now headed in the right direction. Good experience for the likes of Graham and Johnson and Wood again looked OK. All of them should be played for the remaining games.

The difference in the end was probably Fyfe with some late input from Ballantyne. Demonstrates the importance of quality talent and we need to bolster ours for next year.

Gutted by the loss of course but it's good to come on here and read the positivity that's being shown by most posters.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #63
I thought Wood was pretty good tonight considering who he was up against and its a shame that his errant rushed kick ended up giving them the winning goal. He shouldn't be held responsible for the loss, there was a myriad of other reasons for that.

x2...Wood was ok and I dont blame him for the loss.......Ellards blunders, Casboults rubber hands, etc were all factors

Fyfe murdered us and was assisted by Ballantyne who got off the leash.....

Touhy's defensive work has to be questioned......had 4 kicked on him by Thomas last week and another three this week including that brain dead 50 he gave away.

I felt the Dockers mids got on top in the last and we had nothing much to stop them....Judd was stuffed, Bell was useless on Fyfe, Gibbs found life tough vs the bigger bodied Mundy, Fyfe etc and only Murphy was handy...

Brock was a poor choice of sub when we needed run and carry......watched him plodding after one of the dockers player's and it was sad viewing...

Daisy used the ball well although he was cherry picking off half back but I guess malthouse tried to get him into the game and thats fair enough..

Docherty was handy...

Rowe didnt have a matchup unless Clarke played forward and that seem to throw us down back.....

Not a bad effort and while we lost I thought Graham showed he can play seniors and Waite continued on from last week and looked interested...

Reply #64
Echoing the comments others have already made.

Very good 4Q effort by the players + coaches. As other have said, silly errors and bad kicking for goal cost us. As already noted, we didn't look like headless chooks for a change. Most of the game, players were in the right place at the right time.

Bravo CFC.

Reply #65
Certainly there was plenty more on show last night to feel cheerful about. We may well have turned a corner and are now headed in the right direction. Good experience for the likes of Graham and Johnson and Wood again looked OK. All of them should be played for the remaining games.

The difference in the end was probably Fyfe with some late input from Ballantyne. Demonstrates the importance of quality talent and we need to bolster ours for next year.

Gutted by the loss of course but it's good to come on here and read the positivity that's being shown by most posters.

x2

I think that we have played better in the last two weeks than we have for the entire season.

It's like something has just switched on and they've decided that they are going to turn up and show a bit of mongrel, and throw some class in there too.
Why did the Carlton FC fall? So they could learn to pick themselves up.

Reply #66
You can not play three slows ie Curnow, Carrots and McLean in the same side.

Why does our MC choose a slow endurance runner as the sub, we do it over and over again and it doesn't work. McLean's best games are always four quarter efforts in which his continual motion runs an opponent into the ground. Had the large Freo bodies spent the first three quarters trying to move McLean off the ball instead of the lighter weights the last quarter would have been interesting and perhaps different.

We played Graham as sub for three or four games, the kids at best goes in 2nd gear for four quarters and tackles like a lunatic so we maek him sub!

McLean jogs up and down the ground almost continually and uses footy brains to out position opponents. McLean doesn't come on the ground and burn off anybody!

All this says to me, we don't understand the sub, it's another new trick our old coach has to learn for us to have a chance!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #67
Had to follow it on radio and from the way they were going on, Freo was crucified by the umps so I guess umpiring it is all a point of relative perspective.

MacLean as sub was plain stupid, but we don't have a lot of options at the moment.

Our talls were much less effective this week against real defenders.

Pleased that we gave an honest effort but lack of composure in the last 10 minutes was telling - plus they simply have more class.  Yet again poor kicking for goal when it counted.  We should have been well up at half and three quarter time as it was IMO.

The turning point was Touhy's stupid 50 - up until that point he had played well, and yes Ballantyne is a pest, but you just don't do stuff like that.  We lost control completely  when Docherty kicked OOB - I doubt we got a meaningful possession after that...  instead of a goal or trapped in our F50 it went forward until chance inevitably hurts you.  All this represents a lack of composure, which is probably an experience and in part skill thing.

I said after the game versus this mob last year that Veale was a gun and I stand by that.  Has quietly become a very solid player.
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #68
Freo are such a dirty negating team, so typical a Lyon team.

And it wasn't just Crowell and Ballentine either, it the whole team.

If I had of been playing for the Blues tonight the tribunal would be more than likely giving me the rest of the year off....  >:D

Irks me that in Lyons press conference he couldn't admit that they were fortunate to win. He talked like they beat us comfortably. We did make mistakes but they played far from their best.

I know murph received 6 frees from Crowley, but what about the 47 they didn't pay?  I know hendo got a couple of frees from that spud Dawson - but he should have broken fanning's record the way Dawson held, scragged and chopped his arms EVERY time he went near the footy (and each free he  gave away resulted in a performance from Dawson of "what, me?" That had to be seen to be believed), I don't know how juddy had it 20 times in the first half, when he was tackled before he had the footy at every contest - super human!

I hated monotone "it's all about the brand" Lyon at stkilda, and if possible he is worse at freo.  The way they play is just terrible for the game.  Bar fugue and hill, none of their players try to win an even contest. The scragging, pushing, holding had my blood boiling all night.  Just the little pushing blokes heads into the ground while getting up from a pack, and holding onto the footy for a sec longer after giving a way a free, cribbing the mark.  They must be really proud the way they play

The commentators (WAs own commetti and who? Zemplis ) actually talked about the frees in our favour, but it's not the point , they had the guts to pay one or two early, but couldn't bring themselves to keep paying them, especially late when it mattered.  AFL needs to do something. And not just look at the free count, it doesn't tell the whole story

BTW - basil, can you tell us that riveting story about freo's white jumper again??

Reply #69
Mil,  Dawson has been holding forwards by both arms since the day dot... but the umps are blind too it.  It has been a blight on the game for years.  I've been to games and heard him referred to as the "backpack" (it goes around both arms and over the shoulders...).
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #70
You can not play three slows ie Curnow, Carrots and McLean in the same side.

Why does our MC choose a slow endurance runner as the sub, we do it over and over again and it doesn't work. McLean's best games are always four quarter efforts in which his continual motion runs an opponent into the ground. Had the large Freo bodies spent the first three quarters trying to move McLean off the ball instead of the lighter weights the last quarter would have been interesting and perhaps different.

We played Graham as sub for three or four games, the kids at best goes in 2nd gear for four quarters and tackles like a lunatic so we maek him sub!

McLean jogs up and down the ground almost continually and uses footy brains to out position opponents. McLean doesn't come on the ground and burn off anybody!

All this says to me, we don't understand the sub, it's another new trick our old coach has to learn for us to have a chance!

I actually think Sugar is our best sub - about the only one (other than menzel) to have a real impact when brought on late

Reply #71
Freo are such a dirty negating team, so typical a Lyon team.

And it wasn't just Crowell and Ballentine either, it the whole team.

If I had of been playing for the Blues tonight the tribunal would be more than likely giving me the rest of the year off....  >:D

Irks me that in Lyons press conference he couldn't admit that they were fortunate to win. He talked like they beat us comfortably. We did make mistakes but they played far from their best.

I know murph received 6 frees from Crowley, but what about the 47 they didn't pay?  I know hendo got a couple of frees from that spud Dawson - but he should have broken fanning's record the way Dawson held, scragged and chopped his arms EVERY time he went near the footy (and each free he  gave away resulted in a performance from Dawson of "what, me?" That had to be seen to be believed), I don't know how juddy had it 20 times in the first half, when he was tackled before he had the footy at every contest - super human!

I hated monotone "it's all about the brand" Lyon at stkilda, and if possible he is worse at freo.  The way they play is just terrible for the game.  Bar fugue and hill, none of their players try to win an even contest. The scragging, pushing, holding had my blood boiling all night.  Just the little pushing blokes heads into the ground while getting up from a pack, and holding onto the footy for a sec longer after giving a way a free, cribbing the mark.  They must be really proud the way they play

The commentators (WAs own commetti and who? Zemplis ) actually talked about the frees in our favour, but it's not the point , they had the guts to pay one or two early, but couldn't bring themselves to keep paying them, especially late when it mattered.  AFL needs to do something. And not just look at the free count, it doesn't tell the whole story

BTW - basil, can you tell us that riveting story about freo's white jumper again??

Agree - well said.

Reply #72
Mil,  Dawson has been holding forwards by both arms since the day dot... but the umps are blind too it.  It has been a blight on the game for years.  I've been to games and heard him referred to as the "backpack" (it goes around both arms and over the shoulders...).

Backpack - classic.

Reply #73
re: Crowley....the game is getting tougher for him....umpies are allowing him to be hammered while free kicking his opponents for any slight hold/50/50 tackle etc. Thought we did a good job in blocking for Murphy and Crowley copped some treatment both on and off the ball....hard for his coach to complain given Crowley's tactics but I think you might hear Ross Lyon complaining if it continues as i thought Crowley wasnt a factor last night and was a passenger given his low possie count.

Reply #74
How many things did we cock up? Murphy to Yarran running into goal. Casboult's non marking, Ellard's kicking for goal. Docherty's OOB. Touhys 50. Carrazzo stopping instead of going for the ball. Bell disinterest in running with Fyfe, Woods kick. Change any one and we win.

No more talk from me about the negatives.

What I took from this game; a great effort given from the team.

First Murphy standing up to Crowley and saying no more, loved the elbow to the guts. >:D

Loved how the team belted Crowley every chance they got and basically let him know that if he wanted to give Murph cheap shots all night he was going to cop plenty back. Loved how when Murph was scragged there was two Carlton players in to help. That is how you build culture in a club.

Loved how Gibbs got a bit nasty and "fell" into Ballentynes head with his forearm.  >:D

Blaine Johnson looked good again with his tackling as did Graham.

Simmo was outstanding with his marking, I clapped several times watching the TV. For a man his size to go into harms way so often reminds me a fair bit of Ken Hunter.

Waite again showed his value, either to us as a player or as a compensation pick if he leaves via free agency.

Henderson showed why we must use him of half back, that run where he beat two Freo opponents by using the angles was just smart. At CHB he was doing that 3-4 times a game. Mick Hendo is a backman, leave him there. Rowe is serviceable at best but he's not the potential AA that Lachie could be.

We are 2-3 class players away from being a real threat. Daisy might become that next season as I've seen signs of him returning to his best. An injury free pre season and me may have the player we paid for.

Hated the result, loved the resolve.