Skip to main content
Topic: FFA shooting itself in the foot AGAIN (Read 9612 times) previous topic - next topic

FFA shooting itself in the foot AGAIN

Hi Guys

This is me having a rant about the FFA and it's new expansion.

The decision to overlook the Oceania team of the century, and still most successful Australian Football club at the highest level in order to "set up shop" in Wyndham is akin to the AFL's glorious decision to setup the Gold Coast Suns.

At least the AFL didnt disregard a big club in that process.

Its all very anti Ethnic, even though Melbourne Victory have used the Scottish national anthem as their theme song, which says a little bit about the state of play of things in this nation. 

Instead of picking a club that was established, has junior and senior setup for both boys and girls of all ages, and has its own training facilities, and home ground ready to go, they have gone with a bid that aims to build its own stadium and establish a green field club.

I want my sport back.  Rant over. >:(
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Re: FFA shooting itself in the foot AGAIN

Reply #1
It's interesting Thry, I reckon the Western District bid was the outlier, but it's the one bid that brings new money.
The other bids seem to be about moving money around that is really money already in the system, no or less new money.

You also want to be suspicious of government involvement, it's no different to other clubs kiboshing Princes Park developments before launching their own. This link to Kardinia Park should be a bit of a tell, they've got an expensive AFL boutique venue paid for by the State that is empty 85% of the available time! Yet apparently Kardinia and the Dawks Dingling Folly(Located above the new train loop! ;) ) are better value than Carlton developing it's AFL, AFLW and VWFL and VFL headquarters.

Where will this new boutique stadium go, is it a coincidence some massive Asian investors are buying up land in the Western District? If some of those areas get re-zoned to build a stadium, I wouldn't want to be living out that way and driving to work 20 years from now. I'm pegging a location falls above the proposed rail loop! ;)

The punters in the SE must be spitting chips, it's growing 200% faster than the West, but the West isn't where Lindsay Fox built his airport, or where Andrews favors the new port. The opposition argument is that the locations are not justified due to a lack of demand, so make some seem to be the answer, an artificial island port for an artificial demand!

I don't know enough about the Sydney FFA bids to comment, but I bet there are links with other NRL venues as unused or owned!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #2
It's interesting Thry, I reckon the Western District bid was the outlier, but it's the one bid that brings new money.
The other bids seem to be about moving money around that is really money already in the system, no or less new money.

You also want to be suspicious of government involvement, it's no different to other clubs kiboshing Princes Park developments before launching their own. This link to Kardinia Park should be a bit of a tell, they've got an expensive AFL boutique venue paid for by the State that is empty 85% of the available time! Yet apparently Kardinia and the Dawks Dingling Folly(Located above the new train loop! ;) ) are better value than Carlton developing it's AFL, AFLW and VWFL and VFL headquarters.

Where will this new boutique stadium go, is it a coincidence some massive Asian investors are buying up land in the Western District? If some of those areas get re-zoned to build a stadium, I wouldn't want to be living out that way and driving to work 20 years from now. I'm pegging a location falls above the proposed rail loop! ;)

The punters in the SE must be spitting chips, it's growing 200% faster than the West, but the West isn't where Lindsay Fox built his airport, or where Andrews favors the new port. The opposition argument is that the locations are not justified due to a lack of demand, so make some seem to be the answer, an artificial island port for an artificial demand!

I don't know enough about the Sydney FFA bids to comment, but I bet there are links with other NRL venues as unused or owned!

I don't doubt it LP.

Its the same proposition.

They have gone for growth corridors.

Easiest way to get new fans in is to build in new growth areas.  Get the kids on board and the rest will take care of itself.

Its crap.

Paul Hewson

Reply #3
Soccer's biggest problem in this country are the group of suits sitting in an office in Sydney.

BTW, how the  ^%? can a private consortium build a stadium and the requisite infrastructure... government is involved somewhere.
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #4
Hi Guys

This is me having a rant about the FFA and it's new expansion.

The decision to overlook the Oceania team of the century, and still most successful Australian Football club at the highest level in order to "set up shop" in Wyndham is akin to the AFL's glorious decision to setup the Gold Coast Suns.

At least the AFL didnt disregard a big club in that process.

Its all very anti Ethnic, even though Melbourne Victory have used the Scottish national anthem as their theme song, which says a little bit about the state of play of things in this nation. 

Instead of picking a club that was established, has junior and senior setup for both boys and girls of all ages, and has its own training facilities, and home ground ready to go, they have gone with a bid that aims to build its own stadium and establish a green field club.

I want my sport back.  Rant over. >:(

Really they should have went with Dandenong, look at the map of Melbourne and where the population is.
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #5
Really they should have went with Dandenong, look at the map of Melbourne and where the population is.

FFA have a "Croatian Mafia" running the place.

Team 11 and the Wyndham consortium were both run by a couple of families linked to Melbourne Knights (Old Melbourne Croatia).

Its funny, some of the die hards I know wont jump ship, but they are simply picking growth corridors to setup expansion clubs.

They don't want old football.

Paul Hewson

Reply #6
South Melbourne should have been brought in instead of Heart/City who have no identity. I only go for them because I can't stand the Victory and their supporters chanting with pommy accents.
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #7
South Melbourne should have been brought in instead of Heart/City who have no identity. I only go for them because I can't stand the Victory and their supporters chanting with pommy accents.

Any particular one - there are many?
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #10
The Kylie minogue one.

:))
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #11
Victory supporters attacked the City keeper. Game called off.
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #12

A little more to it than that.

Supporters from both teams were going to stage a walkout in protest at Football Australia's decision to sell the next three grand finals to Sydney.  Supporters did that at Mariners and Newcastle games and Sydney FC supporters boycotted the Mariners game.

However, the protest at the Victory-City game didn't go according to plan with unruly behaviour from the start.  Reading between the lines, it seems that some folk used the protest as an opportunity to indulge in anti-social, unlawful and violent behaviour; "cruisin' for a bruisin'" as we used to say.

Popular sports in Australia are notable for remarkably good crowd behaviour.  Throwing flares, invading the pitch and assaulting/injuring players and officials is abhorrent and must be stamped out.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #13
so much for getting rid of the ethnics.  Everything old is new again.

Paul Hewson

Reply #14
Popular sports in Australia are notable for remarkably good crowd behaviour.  Throwing flares, invading the pitch and assaulting/injuring players and officials is abhorrent and must be stamped out.
Yep, that is bullcrap behaviour that has gone on too long.

Rubber bullets and tazers from now on, but only after a year or two playing without crowds to let them all cool off.

I'd also ban anyone U18 from attending games, to free up authorities to be a bit more authoritarian. I'm thinking dogs, truncheons, riot shields and the like from the good old days of the EPL!

I think either the States or the Feds should fine the FA, and I mean seriously fine them 7 or 8 figures to force them to lift their game! I write that because the problem isn't just caused by the fans, it's almost encouraged by the authorities. The bosses grin like idiots when someone asks them formally about flares or venue damage, they take it as a joke question.

The same spoilt brat fans going to or leaving games destroy station platforms, buses and trains, they cost the public more than the sport is earning locally.
The Force Awakens!