Skip to main content
Topic: Pre-Game 2021 AFL Rnd 1: Richmond vs Carlton. (Read 14764 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Pre-Game 2021 AFL Rnd 1: Richmond vs Carlton.

Reply #210
I look at the team we're putting onto the park and I realize just how much of a VFL side this is. Richmond will be unbackable favourite.
There are a couple of guys whose selection is ... questionable. I wouldn't have selected LOB, hopefully he can prove me wrong.

Seriously you rate this line up as a VFL side? My god we are well and truly stuffed if losing 4 players turns us into a VFL side. Most teams can select 3-4 players that are missing due to injuries. 

Blue glasses off we have max 4 of our starting 18 missing.

1) Williams In out best 18.
2) Martin. In our best 18.
3) Dekoning (a kid developing nicely but Pit is a fine replacement) 
4) Charlie (Good luck if we are pinning our hopes on this guy - heaps of potential but hardly played in the last 2 years anyway)

That leaves only McGovern and Betts who some will list but Betts is in his final year so no good relying on him and the other guy has done SFA for us in 3 years. Neither are locks in our starting 18.

Enough excuses. Time to stand up.

Reply #211
Enough excuses. Time to stand up.
@shawny
If that is your line in the sand week, against the team going for a 3-peat, while we have a weakened team, you will more than likely be sorely disappointed.

I had to laugh last night, Channel Cheats and Channel Dots both reporting Carlton "at full strength", what wankers! ;D
The Force Awakens!

Reply #212
We are playing against the team that had won 3 out of the last 4 flags. We havnt beaten them in who knows how long.
We are an improving side,  but are still just improving.
One of our newest recruits is suspended. Williams
2 of our recruits from the year before are not playing Betts and martin
Over half our forward line is out injured, the other half is carrying injuries.
The opposition will be at full strength as far as I can tell.

Why is it people are positive about our chances?

You expect calm and reason,  there it is.
That didn't mean the whole year is a write off, but bet your house on the tigers this week.
The only way we win is if they lose. If they turn up, we shouldn't bother.

They are selected so they are fit to play. That means then that Richmond also has Lynch and Prestia as playing injured. What about the AA defender in Houli? Every supporter can find excuses if they look hard enough.

Im over hearing all the talk every post season then the minute we have anything go against us we revert back to a losing mentality.  I'm over the excuses.

All the hype said we are on the up and ready to play finals. Time to prove it to us long suffering supporters and to the media who rightly so are over all the talk too.

Anything less then a very close game tonight is a massive disappointment IMO.  

Reply #213
@shawny
If that is your line in the sand week, against the team going for a 3-peat, while we have a weakened team, you will more than likely be sorely disappointed.

I had to laugh last night, Channel Cheats and Channel Dots both reporting Carlton "at full strength", what wankers! ;D

I didn't say it a line in the sand game but over the excuses.

What about playing Pies the next week. Have any excuses ready for that one? We lost to them last year when they literally had a B team in. Remember that.

Then we have the Dockers Port and Brisbane all in the first 6 weeks. Do we start stock pilling the excuses to be 1 -5 after 6 rounds.

Nope im not. I want to see the massive improvement we have waited 5 years for. The time is now to show it. If you are waiting for a fully fit no injuries and all in form list before seeing how we are tracking then best to lock yourself in for another bottom 4 finish cause thats going to be outcome.  

Reply #214
I didn't say it a line in the sand game but over the excuses.

What about playing Pies the next week. Have any excuses ready for that one? We lost to them last year when they literally had a B team in. Remember that.

Then we have the Dockers Port and Brisbane all in the first 6 weeks. Do we start stock pilling the excuses to be 1 -5 after 6 rounds.

Nope im not. I want to see the massive improvement we have waited 5 years for. The time is now to show it. If you are waiting for a fully fit no injuries and all in form list before seeing how we are tracking then best to lock yourself in for another bottom 4 finish cause thats going to be outcome. 
We've got most of our KPFs with either zero pre-season games or just one or two quarters while carrying an injury.

I'm afraid when I read those "enough is enough" style comments, it brings back horrible memories of the events that led our club to Pagan and Malthouse, setting us back about a decade each time! ;)
The Force Awakens!

Reply #215
We are playing against the team that had won 3 out of the last 4 flags. We havnt beaten them in who knows how long.
We are an improving side,  but are still just improving.
One of our newest recruits is suspended. Williams
2 of our recruits from the year before are not playing Betts and martin
Over half our forward line is out injured, the other half is carrying injuries.
The opposition will be at full strength as far as I can tell.

Why is it people are positive about our chances?

You expect calm and reason,  there it is.
That didn't mean the whole year is a write off, but bet your house on the tigers this week.
The only way we win is if they lose. If they turn up, we shouldn't bother.
No argument from me, wasnt having a crack by the way.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #216
They are selected so they are fit to play. That means then that Richmond also has Lynch and Prestia as playing injured. What about the AA defender in Houli? Every supporter can find excuses if they look hard enough.

Im over hearing all the talk every post season then the minute we have anything go against us we revert back to a losing mentality.  I'm over the excuses.

All the hype said we are on the up and ready to play finals. Time to prove it to us long suffering supporters and to the media who rightly so are over all the talk too.

Anything less then a very close game tonight is a massive disappointment IMO.  

Martin
Betts
Williams
Curnow
TDK (I'd pick him over casboult)
Newman (the forgotten man) plays instead of Williamson.
McG would be picked if fit, possibly at the expense of Jack Silvagni
Marchbank if he ever gets fit should be worthy of a spot.
Throw in Kemp who looks the part standing next to Cripps, but is injured for the 2nd year running. He'd be playing ahead of LOB any day of the week.

You have a right to be disappointed and I have a right to be realistic and say I told you so.

Reply #217
No argument from me, wasnt having a crack by the way.
I know you weren't.

That little spiel was to those who demand a close game from us.
I can demand my dogs flies, and he might try his hardest to do that, but it's beyond his capabilities!

Reply #218
Hopefully SoJ gets enough supply to have a fair crack!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #219
Dont know how McGovern gets to be an automatic, cant get and stay fit, let alone get a kick. Think Jack has him well and truly covered at this stage and the onus is on McGovern to earn a spot with form and fitness.
Ditto for Marchbank.....he just doesnt walk back in either IMO and also has to earn a spot, things have changed and we no longer have to pick players regardless of reputation, if you cant stay on the park and deliver then you earn your place like the rest of the plebs on the list.
Marchbank needs his own personal sub he has been that dodgy with injury, Only A graders like Cripps, Weitering, Walsh etc get automatic status....

Reply #220
Dont know how McGovern gets to be an automatic, cant get and stay fit, let alone get a kick. Think Jack has him well and truly covered at this stage and the onus is on McGovern to earn a spot with form and fitness.
Ditto for Marchbank.....he just doesnt walk back in either IMO and also has to earn a spot, things have changed and we no longer have to pick players regardless of reputation, if you cant stay on the park and deliver then you earn your place like the rest of the plebs on the list. Only A graders like Cripps, Weitering, Walsh etc get automatic status....
I never said anything about automatic selection,  gotta earn it, but on ability, I reckon they would.

But if they are not fit, the decision is made for you... which was the point... is a backup side against a fully fit (minus 1) side that dominated the game,  and us, for years now

Reply #221
Hopefully SoJ gets enough supply to have a fair crack!
The thing with him is that he will bust a gut to make his own luck, he aint a problem.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th

Reply #222
Ditto for Marchbank.....he just doesnt walk back in either IMO and also has to earn a spot, things have changed and we no longer have to pick players regardless of reputation, if you cant stay on the park and deliver then you earn your place like the rest of the plebs on the list.
Marchbank needs his own personal sub he has been that dodgy with injury, Only A graders like Cripps, Weitering, Walsh etc get automatic status....
Pfft, Marchbank should just retire, take up a non contact sport. He has been a list clogger for us, nothing more.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th

Reply #223

100% agree. Marchbank and McGovern are fighting for their next contract yet alone certain walk up starts. Both are ripped into when their performance is not to the standard of their potential yet  they end up an excuse when they are out. Same for Newman he is amongst a group of players vying for the same position.  He plays a so so game and fans want him replaced. Then is out and we really miss him.  :-X 

Reply #224
Keep the faith guys. We knocked off the pussies at GMHBA last year without a snowflakes chance of winning.
Yes, Cat's may have been off a bit, but we did play out of our skin for 3 and a bit quarters and would've have been unlucky (again) should we have lost.
Miracles DO happen. Tonight could be that game.
Didn't have as good a side back then either. Think Martin and Betts were the only noticeable absentees?
Keep the faith.