Skip to main content
Topic: Pre-Game 2021 AFL Rnd 1: Richmond vs Carlton. (Read 14756 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Pre-Game 2021 AFL Rnd 1: Richmond vs Carlton.

Reply #225
Martin
Betts
Williams
Curnow
TDK (I'd pick him over casboult)
Newman (the forgotten man) plays instead of Williamson.
McG would be picked if fit, possibly at the expense of Jack Silvagni
Marchbank if he ever gets fit should be worthy of a spot.
Throw in Kemp who looks the part standing next to Cripps, but is injured for the 2nd year running. He'd be playing ahead of LOB any day of the week.

You have a right to be disappointed and I have a right to be realistic and say I told you so.

Apart from Williams, Martin and Charlie the others are fringe players or blokes that when they play we pick crap out of them and then they are out and we really miss them. All teams have injuries it’s the main players that affect you. Imo we have 3 out tonight but far from a 2nds team line up.

Our time to make a significant move up the ladder is now. Not next year now.
I know as a fan you’re just pointing out who’s missing but I just don’t want to start another year like we are already accepting failure because we are not at full strength.

Finals teams win with adversity at times, they cause upsets. I expect us to be a finals team this year hence why Im lifting the bar.

Reply #226
The thing with him is that he will bust a gut to make his own luck, he aint a problem.
SoJ will also sacrifice for others, but I'm not sure it's Quid Pro Quo around our lot!

When Levi finally got out of "Me" mode, when he stopped attacking the footy for his own benefit and started running patterns that benefitted team mates, he became a much much better player. Levi benefitted and they benefitted.

I do not expect Big H to grow out of "Me" mode for another season or two at least.

Interestingly, I think McGovern gets a selection nod because he does this sacrificial part very very well, although fitness is limiting the repeat efforts. One of McGovern's problems has been that when he gets in an advantaged position Big H tends to move to the ball and drag in opponents to the contest rather than leave McGovern one out! ( Fev solved this problem with O'hAilpin by cleaning Setanta up, not one of Fev's finer moments! ) Levi use to drag opponents to the contest as well, he's learnt to draw them away!

The next part of the puzzle, is to stop the midfield mindlessly and repeatedly kicking it predictably to the same target over and over again, even if they can't hit a target it shouldn't be to the same target all the freaking time!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #227
Waiting for Moneybags and Marchbank to come good is like waiting for Godot.   Same could be said for tangible on field  improvement IMHO
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #228
Imo we have 3 out tonight but far from a 2nds team line up.
Well have to agree to disagree on that.

But I'll end with this,  since Charlie is out for  a lot of the year, next week if Martin is fit, and Williams back, you think 2 changes and we have our best 22 out there? (Exc. Charlie)

I guarantee you there will be more than 2 ins next week. (Assuming some others recover from their injuries in time)

Reply #229
Interesting this snippet from Footy Classified:

Ross and Lloyd talk game

Carlton defenders take note. It will be interesting to discuss post-match.

Reply #230

Finals teams win with adversity at times, they cause upsets. I expect us to be a finals team this year hence why Im lifting the bar.
Finals teams win when there is a system in place they believe in, know inside out, trust and execute it week in week out. IMO we aren't there yet, we are still either defining/finding that system or learning it. For that reason, and based on what I have seen, I reckon we are still middle of the road. Will win some and lose some.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #231
Interesting this snippet from Footy Classified:

Ross and Lloyd talk game

Carlton defenders take note. It will be interesting to discuss post-match.

Thanks for the link

Lyon far too often talks in clipped, idiosyncratic speech patterns IMO, and there are many times when it's hard to figure out the points he's trying to make. The best I could figure out is as follows :

1. Cripps might have to follow Cotchin's example and play a kick behind the ball, because he's not a great runner ?
2. Our defenders are same same and SPS is too soft, or maybe they're all soft, and shows a graph comparing years in the system between our defenders and the Tigers ? says we should not worry about system and become hard nuts like the 2000 Essendon defenders.
3. And the obligatory point about too many 5 goals lapses under Teague.

Reply #232
Slight change of topic.  Wondering who will 'run with' Dustin Martin. Dusty has the ability to take a game away in a burst of strong play. Could it be we give this role to someone from outside the square. eg. Fogarty has been described as hard nosed at the ball, he is strongly built and has a good tackle count.
cheers Ab

Reply #233
Slight change of topic.  Wondering who will 'run with' Dustin Martin. Dusty has the ability to take a game away in a burst of strong play. Could it be we give this role to someone from outside the square. eg. Fogarty has been described as hard nosed at the ball, he is strongly built and has a good tackle count.
cheers Ab
Maybe for a bit here or there, but giving/exposing this kid a full game on Dusty could wreck his confidence for the remainder of his career! The chances that the reverse will happen, that it will make him, are very slim.

For me Ed is the only choice, give him the same role he played on Ablett Jnr, stop Dusty and still offer some run and spread in attack. Guys like Dusty and Ablett Jnr tend to chase very very little, smart teams can hurt them going the other way!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #234
Nthmond happy to spread the news, are the AFL are going to let Cotchin play despite him exhibiting some illness like symptoms, they said it was just Gastro?

How many Nthmond Grannys or Grandpas in that crowd?

Cotchin the people person, spreading the love! ;)
The Force Awakens!

Reply #235
I have a very bad feeling about this game. I hope to hell it's misplaced. Very anxious.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #236
Cotchin officially out....even if the reporter doesn't know what day it is.

Reply #237
Maybe for a bit here or there, but giving/exposing this kid a full game on Dusty could wreck his confidence for the remainder of his career! The chances that the reverse will happen, that it will make him, are very slim.

For me Ed is the only choice, give him the same role he played on Ablett Jnr, stop Dusty and still offer some run and spread in attack. Guys like Dusty and Ablett Jnr tend to chase very very little, smart teams can hurt them going the other way!

I tend to agree. I think frankly Dusty is surplus to requirements tonight, and could have a fairly quiet night at the office if he so chooses.  I think they have us covered even if he was sidelined. Cotchin out makes things more interesting.

Reply #238
Cotchin officially out....even if the reporter doesn't know what day it is.
That will give us leg up, he is very important to them.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #239
That will give us leg up, he is very important to them.
Except he spent most of the afternoon with Cripps a couple of days back! :o
The Force Awakens!