Skip to main content
Topic: Pre game postulations: AFL 2021 Rd 4: Carlton vs Gold Coast on the Gold Coast (Read 6148 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Pre game postulations: AFL 2021 Rd 4: Carlton vs Gold Coast on the Gold Coast

Reply #30
Been saying that for years Tonyo.....Walsh/Weitering aside, there's not too many that have come on. McKay is only just starting to show us what he's capable of. Cunningham is another one who teases with an odd burst or good game here and there and then disappears just as quickly, or gets injured.

Re: Pre game postulations: AFL 2021 Rd 4: Carlton vs Gold Coast on the Gold Coast

Reply #31
True, albeit Season 3 was a total wipe off.  Prior to one pre-season game and the first three this year, he hasn't played competitive footy at any level for over 18 months.  We will know by the end of this season if he is a keeper.

I just hate the thought that someone like Clarkson or Buckley will turn him into a gun.

Simple fact is, CFC does still not know how to develop young players.  It's really irritating to see the young Swans, Bombers, Demons doing such great things in their first few games, while so many of our high draft picks (other than Walsh) scratch around for 2 or 3 years and inevitably end up getting delisted and playing for Port Melbourne or Williamstown.

You need a few pieces of the puzzle in place for this to happen. Historically, I assume the club didn't need to develop anything because they just went on a shopping spree and bought the best as required. The Hawks have what is colloquially known as the Hawthorn Apprenticeship. I think the Cats have similar. The kids come in and play in the 2's for a few years learning the craft and getting up to AFL standard. But you need a proper 2nd's team to do this, which we haven't had. You also need a proper 1st's team, which we unfortunately also haven't had. I think when SOS came in, he decided that the way forward was the GWS model, whereby you recruit a large number of kids as quickly as possible, and get them to grow together, which is a different approach. I guess, depending on your sense of timing, it's either a failure or a work in progress.

Oh well.

Reply #32
Witts is definitely out. Unfortunately, he's torn his ACL.

That should give us some advantage at stoppages. Although we need to show the same contested spirit because GC have a solid mf. They made WC accountable for much of the game.
Coming together is the beginning.
Keeping together is progress.
Working together is success.
Henry Ford.

Reply #33
We should win comfortably, no Witts is a huge bonus, he usually wins his position and impacts the game.
GC are also not overly tall down back and have other key players like Rowell and Day missing.
It might be more of a grind since they run a few taggers like Greenwood and Bowes who have had their moments on Cripps and they are playing on their home deck but I think if we are a serious team then we should account for them by 4-5 goals given their injuries and lack of size in important positions.
Its an important game to back up with a win given we have Port the following week who are going to have some fresh troops back and we dont want be 1-4 after 5 rounds...

Reply #34
Witts is definitely out. Unfortunately, he's torn his ACL.

That should give us some advantage at stoppages. Although we need to show the same contested spirit because GC have a solid mf. They made WC accountable for much if the game.

The guy (Burgess) who rucked once Witts went off is 191cm and 82kg.

Contrast Pitto at 202cm and 105kg.

Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #36
I thought Paddy was reasonable and put in on Sunday, even though he didn't get the ball much.  He could be (crosses fingers...) one of these 'slow burn' players who needs experience and consistent game time to elevate himself to the next level, but in the end becomes an absolute gem.  If we drop him every time he doesn't get 20 touches, it will be back to the start.  Given our midfield is a work in progress, I would prefer to see him have another 4-5 games at least - if he hasn't progressed by then, at least we will know.

Going back a ways, as a young kid, I can remember watching Bruce Doull play for his first three years and the general consensus among those sitting around me at the time was that he was a very average performer.  Then he moved from #4 to #11 (out of a sense of 'I'm not worthy') and the rest is history.  Maybe Paddy should cash in his #2 (which must weigh very heavily on his back) and find a non-descript number like #38..... 

As akid I wrote to the club complaining that Goold's number had been given to someone who hadn't earned it ... I think he probably did eventually.  Years later I had some professional dealings with Ragsy - a true gentleman. 

Reply #37
The guy (Burgess) who rucked once Witts went off is 191cm and 82kg.

Contrast Pitto at 202cm and 105kg.

They don't have a single fit ruckman so Pitto certainly has his chance to shine.

Reply #38
I've already pointed out how Pittonets ruck work is elite.

I pointed out how his game against Grundy was on a par, if not better, despite losing the hitouts by 30 (which translated to a handful only of hitouts to advantage....and less clearances by comparison)

Combined those 2 up against a 'ruck' from GC who doesn't know how to ruck and Pittonet could break an AFL record of hitouts to advantage!

Of course, if i was GC i would simply try and shark Pittonets tap and use their 'ruck' in a Grigg-style 4th midfield to negate clearances.

Reply #39
I've already pointed out how Pittonets ruck work is elite.

I pointed out how his game against Grundy was on a par, if not better, despite losing the hitouts by 30 (which translated to a handful only of hitouts to advantage....and less clearances by comparison)

Combined those 2 up against a 'ruck' from GC who doesn't know how to ruck and Pittonet could break an AFL record of hitouts to advantage!

Of course, if i was GC i would simply try and shark Pittonets tap and use their 'ruck' in a Grigg-style 4th midfield to negate clearances.
Think thats what they will do and use Burgess as another tall mid and try and get him to work Pittonet over by running him around.
King will probably do the ruck work forward....

Reply #40
Last chance for awhile for Dow I reckon then. We absolutely smashed Freo through the midfield and around the ground....our midfielders (Cripps, Walsh, Fogarty, Curnow etc) were prolific...except Dow. He just can't seem to get near it and still appears to lack some footy smarts at times.

I watched the replay and noticed a number of times team-mates handballed to Dow when he was absolutely covered.  Despite a few self errors I would like to see him given a few more games.

Reply #41
I said early last year that Pittonet would prove to be a good pickup.  The guy's even better than that.

And I reckon he likes wearing the navy blue.

Reply #42
Let’s enjoy the wining feeling whilst it last ,  future games may not be so winnable.

Reply #43
I watched the replay and noticed a number of times team-mates handballed to Dow when he was absolutely covered.  Despite a few self errors I would like to see him given a few more games.

The one important thing I noticed about Dow's game on Sunday was that he had a red hot go... and blokes who persist with that attitude can turn around their fortunes, let's give him the chance to do just that - but the clock is ticking.
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #44
The one important thing I noticed about Dow's game on Sunday was that he had a red hot go... and blokes who persist with that attitude can turn around their fortunes, let's give him the chance to do just that - but the clock is ticking.

Yet we chopped LOB who had similar numbers....

Surely you reward the guys in the 2s who are playing consistently well?

11 disposals, 3 tackles, 33 AFL fantasy points.....

We don't need to carry guys in the 1s who aren't performing. He should earn a spot like everyone else.

3 games and he appears to be going backwards.
Finals, then 4 in a row!