Skip to main content
Topic: List Changes 2018 (Read 80986 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: List Changes 2018

Reply #195
Losing (well,  greatly reduced effectiveness)  Astbury destroyed their defensive structure so prance couldn't play purely as a loose intercept tall.

Their midfield was swamped,  a fit Dusty wouldn't have made any difference and Cotchin didn't pick up the slack.

Comprehensively beaten IMO.

a fit Dusty wouldn't have made any difference ......

The bloke could hardly run and barely kick..... you have got to be kidding!  ::) ::)
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #196
Collingwood could have done with one vs WC..once Kennedy and Darling exerted their influence it was game over....
Melbourne have recognized their weakness having skinny kids down back and recruited May...

Its not about winning premierships at the minute either...we need to win games, having a undersized defense wont help....

Yet, I don't think that's what cost them.

Their mids stopped getting first use, and once Grundy was negated, they were out of the game.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #197
Yet, I don't think that's what cost them.

Their mids stopped getting first use, and once Grundy was negated, they were out of the game.
That is the key to Collingwood: negating Grundy.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #198
So where does that leave the one ruckmen strategy?
The Force Awakens!

Reply #199
So where does that leave the one ruckmen strategy?

Apparently it's been abandoned LP  :)
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #200
The Drafts have been run and won. Our list is more or less fixed until this time next year. So, how did we go?

Update #10   24/11/2018 Last Update for 2018
Senior List:
SOS continues to demonstrate just how much better he is at this caper than our previous List Managers/ Recruiters. His bold machinations earned up an extra pick in the strongest draft for years.

2018 List:   40 players Present AFL Maximum

Confirmed Delistings:
[1]   Aaron Mullett – contract not renewed
[2]   Cam O’Shea – contract not renewed.
[3]    Matthew Wright - he retired and is now heading to Adelaide as an assistant coach.
[4]   Ciaran Byrne – our biggest loss, in my humble opinion. Nichevo.  :-[  :-[
[5]   Sam Kerridge – Captain Coach of White Hills.
[6]   Nick Graham – Delisted
[7]   Jed Lamb –Didn't make the rookie list
[8]   Sam Rowe – delisted after 99 games. The biggest surprise.

8 changes to the senior list.

Confirmed Additions:
4 deals finalized, in one of the busiest trade periods ever.
[1]   Alex Fasolo:   Confirmed FA
[2]   Mitch McGovern:   Confirmed trade with Adelaide
[3]   Will Setterfield:   Confirmed trade with GWS.
[4]   Nic Newman:   Trade confirmed just yesterday, near 2000 hours.

National Draft Selections:
[1]   Sam Walsh – pick #1 and deserved to be so. had statistically the best U18 year in history.
[2]   Liam Stocker – Pick #19. The winner of the Morrish medal.
[3]   Finbar O'Dwyer – The roughy of the draft. Pick #66 and a school mate of Ben Silvagni.
[4]   Ben Silvagni – pick #70. F/S Big weight on his shoulders.

With 8 guys gone from the senior list, we picked up 8 players, 6 of whom will probably play early in 2019.

Rookie List:
Rookie players are able to play senior footy pretty much straight away, and conditions continue to change. However, the rookie list will remain in 2019.

Confirmed Departures:
[1]   Matt Shaw – not offered a new contract
[2]   Jesse Glass-McCasker – not offered a new contract
[3]   Alex Silvagni – Retired. I haven't heard anything of his intentions for 2019 yet.

Confirmed Additions:
[1]   Hugh Goddard – In to replace Rowe. Something of a surprise.
[2]   Tom Bugg – Defensive forward?

We have 1 rookie space left if we decide to recruit someone mid-season.

How Le Bois survived is something I do not comprehend. But that is another tale.

Cat B Rookies:
Confirmed Departures:
[1]   Cillian McDaid Retired and will not be returning from Ireland.

Confirmed Additions:
[1]   Matthew Owies – 21 year old former basketballer with excellent pace.

Collingwood signed 2 Cat B rookies, both from Ireland. I didn't think this was allowed. As such I don't like it at all. We can sign more players as Cat B rookies, especially as we have no Irishman at the moment in that spot.
I do know that we were looking at some of the Irish guys, but I have no idea how we went. I am assuming no more Cat B rookies unless some good news appears soon.

Conclusions:
We have made 12 list changes again this year. That is quite amazing. However, many other clubs have done the same or more this year. We have 11 inclusions at this point, with 1 rookie spot available for the mid-year draft.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #201
The Drafts have been run and won. Our list is more or less fixed until this time next year. So, how did we go?

Update #10   24/11/2018 Last Update for 2018
Senior List:
SOS continues to demonstrate just how much better he is at this caper than our previous List Managers/ Recruiters. His bold machinations earned up an extra pick in the strongest draft for years.

2018 List:   40 players Present AFL Maximum

Confirmed Delistings:
[1]   Aaron Mullett – contract not renewed
[2]   Cam O’Shea – contract not renewed.
[3]    Matthew Wright - he retired and is now heading to Adelaide as an assistant coach.
[4]   Ciaran Byrne – our biggest loss, in my humble opinion. Nichevo.  :-[  :-[
[5]   Sam Kerridge – Captain Coach of White Hills.
[6]   Nick Graham – Delisted
[7]   Jed Lamb –Didn't make the rookie list
[8]   Sam Rowe – delisted after 99 games. The biggest surprise.

8 changes to the senior list.

Confirmed Additions:
4 deals finalized, in one of the busiest trade periods ever.
[1]   Alex Fasolo:   Confirmed FA
[2]   Mitch McGovern:   Confirmed trade with Adelaide
[3]   Will Setterfield:   Confirmed trade with GWS.
[4]   Nic Newman:   Trade confirmed just yesterday, near 2000 hours.

National Draft Selections:
[1]   Sam Walsh – pick #1 and deserved to be so. had statistically the best U18 year in history.
[2]   Liam Stocker – Pick #19. The winner of the Morrish medal.
[3]   Finbar O'Dwyer – The roughy of the draft. Pick #66 and a school mate of Ben Silvagni.
[4]   Ben Silvagni – pick #70. F/S Big weight on his shoulders.

With 8 guys gone from the senior list, we picked up 8 players, 6 of whom will probably play early in 2019.

Rookie List:
Rookie players are able to play senior footy pretty much straight away, and conditions continue to change. However, the rookie list will remain in 2019.

Confirmed Departures:
[1]   Matt Shaw – not offered a new contract
[2]   Jesse Glass-McCasker – not offered a new contract
[3]   Alex Silvagni – Retired. I haven't heard anything of his intentions for 2019 yet.

Confirmed Additions:
[1]   Hugh Goddard – In to replace Rowe. Something of a surprise.
[2]   Tom Bugg – Defensive forward?

We have 1 rookie space left if we decide to recruit someone mid-season.

How Le Bois survived is something I do not comprehend. But that is another tale.

Cat B Rookies:
Confirmed Departures:
[1]   Cillian McDaid Retired and will not be returning from Ireland.

Confirmed Additions:
[1]   Matthew Owies – 21 year old former basketballer with excellent pace.

Collingwood signed 2 Cat B rookies, both from Ireland. I didn't think this was allowed. As such I don't like it at all. We can sign more players as Cat B rookies, especially as we have no Irishman at the moment in that spot.
I do know that we were looking at some of the Irish guys, but I have no idea how we went. I am assuming no more Cat B rookies unless some good news appears soon.

Conclusions:
We have made 12 list changes again this year. That is quite amazing. However, many other clubs have done the same or more this year. We have 11 inclusions at this point, with 1 rookie spot available for the mid-year draft.

Its amazing.  I seem to recall sos stating that we'd make less changes this year yet somehow we went just as hard as before. 
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #202
Its amazing.  I seem to recall sos stating that we'd make less changes this year yet somehow we went just as hard as before.
Indeed. And a number of other clubs mocking us for making that many changes. However, we are not the most changes at all!
Maybe this is the changing face of footy, or merely the reaction to a strong draft cohort ...
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #203
Indeed. And a number of other clubs mocking us for making that many changes. However, we are not the most changes at all!
Maybe this is the changing face of footy, or merely the reaction to a strong draft cohort ...

When you are on the bottom this is what happens, we added a fair amount of readymade players.....only BSOS, finbar and Owies are development types.
Even Walsh and Stocker are ready to go type kids....
The club wants results next season hence Walls was also added all be it in a supposed volunteer role......

Reply #204
Great summary Crash. With respect to all of the players that have departed, I don't think any of them were ever going to play in a Carlton Premiership. A major list improvement.Well done SOS 

Reply #205
Another truly outstanding effort Crash.
Most appreciated. I'd shout you one if I could ????☕????????????

Yes, surprisingly another 25% turnover. Although most of those we expected, and knew their departures would signal the turning tides.
Coming together is the beginning.
Keeping together is progress.
Working together is success.
Henry Ford.

Reply #206
@ Crash
Re 12 list changes, I would think 3 (Silvagni retirement, Byrne and McDaid going home) were very unexpected. Bolts I think mentioned during the year, I think, that they were looking at single digit list changes, these 3 forced a few extras.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #207
@ Crash
Re 12 list changes, I would think 3 (Silvagni retirement, Byrne and McDaid going home) were very unexpected. Bolts I think mentioned during the year, I think, that they were looking at single digit list changes, these 3 forced a few extras.

Matty Wright was probably another unexpected departure and I suspect that O’Shea and Shaw were thought to be longer term options when they were signed up.

I guess that the prospect of better performing replacements signalled an earlier end to the careers of Rowe, Graham and Laqmb too.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #208
Wright took the Crows deal to coach as there was nothing on offer from us...he was looking after his young family and needed the security....

Reply #209
Wright took the Crows deal to coach as there was nothing on offer from us...he was looking after his young family and needed the security....

Wright made it quite clear that he wanted to go home to Adelaide because they are expecting their first child and his wife wanted to be with family.  His insistence on one year contracts indicated that the ‘go home factor’ was at play.