Skip to main content
Topic: 2013 Melbourne Cup win and lose in the one race. (Read 4660 times) previous topic - next topic

2013 Melbourne Cup win and lose in the one race.

Gai Watehouse has a winner with Fiorente today, but in the 1st 200m of the race many missed a horse drop off the pack. A French mare Verema. Broke a Fore cannon bone in the leg. Was basically put down while the crowds were cheering the winner across the line. That is just how the racing industry works. Out come the big green shield around the horse and before you know it, its all over. Business decisions. RIP.
This digital world is too much for us insects to understand.

Re: 2013 Melbourne Cup win and lose in the one race.

Reply #1
Gai Watehouse has a winner with Fiorente today, but in the 1st 200m of the race many missed a horse drop off the pack. A French mare Verema. Broke a Fore cannon bone in the leg. Was basically put down while the crowds were cheering the winner across the line. That is just how the racing industry works. Out come the big green shield around the horse and before you know it, its all over. Business decisions. RIP.

Mants....yep its a business.. a dirty and corrupt one where the animals welfare means little..very sad seeing that horse break down and destroyed but not as bad as that Canadian trekker who ate his German Shepherd after the animal had bravely defended his owner from a wild bear who had eaten all their food.
Being an owner of a German Shep myself I could never think of betraying her in such a manner and anyone who has one knows what a wonderful loyal friend they are and that news article really upset me and my family and cruelty to animals makes my blood boil..

Reply #2
Mants....yep its a business.. a dirty and corrupt one where the animals welfare means little..very sad seeing that horse break down and destroyed but not as bad as that Canadian trekker who ate his German Shepherd after the animal had bravely defended his owner from a wild bear who had eaten all their food.
Being an owner of a German Shep myself I could never think of betraying her in such a manner and anyone who has one knows what a wonderful loyal friend they are and that news article really upset me and my family and cruelty to animals makes my blood boil..

Dirty & corrupt, would agree a little there, but on average, race horses are treated better than a good percentage of pets

Reply #3
'The Flying Doormat' has his first race start in a Geelong maiden today. By King of roses out of D'Amico. Great sense of humour there. Part-owned by an 'A.Lee'. Good luck to Andy and the Princess Park syndicate.  A win (or at least a top 4 finish) would be a good omen for the club.

Reply #4
How did the Doormat go?

Some great associations with the name, pedigree and connections!
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #5
Ran third $3.60 the place.
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #6
Beat me to it Carrots.....I only listened to the call on the radio....The flying doormat (saddlecloth #11) had to be attended to by the vet pre-race (may have reared going into barriers?) although was eventually cleared to run. He settled towards the rear, worked forward, unleashed a burst at the 300m...hit the lead and appeared home but was swamped over the last 80m.. Hung on for 3rd place. Good effort. Paid $3.60 for the place.