Skip to main content
Topic: 2014 Australian Open  (Read 64219 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: 2014 Australian Open

Reply #15

................ I used to feel the same way about Hewitt many years ago but he has gained much respect over the years through battling on in an era of tennis greats. .......

So before he won anything you hated him as he was an arrogant such and such, but as he started winning and then was humbled by better players you respected him  :-\

I'm happy to give Tomic a break he's talented and just needs to find his place in the game.  In time many players turn it around. Novak is another example, he was a prat when he first came on the scene, now he's the "Joker" and much admired.

IN my lifetime , every now and then true great champions come along and for me they are Borg & Federer.  These guys respect the game firstly and the enjoy the marketing benefits second.
Excuses year 1, blame year 2, contract extention year 3........

Reply #16
Because he's an arrogant tool. What's he done exactly to warrant such arrogance? Fark all. Contrast with Ash Barty who has been well grounded and down to earth the whole time. Tomic's a bad sport. Sportsmanship goes a long way in this caper....even the great Pat Rafter had had a run in with him....sh1tty attitude caused him to be dropped from the Davis cup last year.

I've never been a fan of Nadal but credit where its due...has the runs on the board to earn respect from the community and I hope he smashes Spoilt brat in straight sets. 

And don't come that racist crap with me....has nothing to do with it. I used to feel the same way about Hewitt many years ago but he has gained much respect over the years through battling on in an era of tennis greats. The racist card is a cheap way out and if that's at the forefront of anyone's mind when critisizing a sportsman then they need their head read.

x3.....

x4

Reply #17
I used to feel the same way about Hewitt many years ago but he has gained much respect over the years through battling on in an era of tennis greats.

Hewitt is still a tool in my eyes.  I can never applaud anyone who fist pumps and yells come on after an opponents unforced error.

Hewitt battling on in an era of Tennis Greats??

Thats mind boggling Gozza.  Federer is a great, Nadal might be considered a great but has a fair way to go, and same with Djokovic who is also on his way to being a great, but Hewitt has played in one of the softest period of all around stars.  Marat Safin was one of the stronger guys on tour when Hewitt was at his best, and he is a solid Scott Camporeale at best, whilst the others are in the Jezza category.  Worlds apart.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #18
I used to feel the same way about Hewitt many years ago but he has gained much respect over the years through battling on in an era of tennis greats.

Hewitt is still a tool in my eyes.  I can never applaud anyone who fist pumps and yells come on after an opponents unforced error.

Thats mind boggling Gozza.  Federer is a great, Nadal might be considered a great but has a fair way to go, and same with Djokovic who is also on his way to being a great, but Hewitt has played in one of the softest period of all around stars.  Marat Safin was one of the stronger guys on tour when Hewitt was at his best, and he is a solid Scott Camporeale at best, whilst the others are in the Jezza category.  Worlds apart.

I've never liked Hewitt. I gave him the benefit of the doubt when he was young, thinking he'd grow out of it. He never has. The remark he made to the chair umpire at the US Open years ago about the black linesman was the final straw for me. Tool.

Tomic, he's also a tool imo and it has nothing to do with race. He has a real air of entitlement about him which I don't like. His on court demeanour also leaves a lot to be desired. Maybe it's just the way he is, laconic, but he doesn't always appear to put everything into a match, especially when the chips are down. He is young though so let's see if he can grow up which Hewitt never did.

Reply #19

Federer is not just a great, but said by many to be the greatest of all time. That's unfortunate for anyone to be playing against in their era. Greatest ever in the history of the sport. And when he was right up at his best, which man was often there to give him strife in Grand Slams? Nadal. For a period of a few years there Federer and Nadal had a duopoly on Grand Slam titles. Add in Djokovic, and Roddick too and there was some real challenges for Hewitt. Yet he has stood the test of time and continued to battle on through the years. 

This is the third decade where Hewitt is competing in Grand Slam events. Granted he was (or as some might think, still is) a tool, but geez, he deserves praise for staying around so long and continuing to fight on given world no.1 in his career, Wimbledon title, US Open, were years ago. Has 29 career titles too...not to be sneezed at. Think he's a good Aussie battler, and I hope I'm talking about Tomic the same way in 10 or so years, but time will tell.

Reply #20
On a better note, I look forward to seeing Pat Rafter back in action in doubles. Will be partnered with Hewitt. Hope they play the yankee Bryan brothers.  ;D

Reply #21
Slightly off topic, but I just read Andre Agassi's book 'Open', which has been out a few years. Didn't really warm to the guy BUT it is an excellent read.

Reply #22
Slightly off topic, but I just read Andre Agassi's book 'Open', which has been out a few years. Didn't really warm to the guy BUT it is an excellent read.

Have wanted to read that for a while. Pity Borders is no longer going...I'd plant me arse in one of their air-conditioned shops tomorrow and read it.  ;D

Reply #23
Venus Williams out, but it looks like there will be no upsets in the first round. There are still plenty of games to prove me wrong. ;)
This digital world is too much for us insects to understand.

Reply #24

Federer is not just a great, but said by many to be the greatest of all time. That's unfortunate for anyone to be playing against in their era. Greatest ever in the history of the sport. And when he was right up at his best, which man was often there to give him strife in Grand Slams? Nadal. For a period of a few years there Federer and Nadal had a duopoly on Grand Slam titles. Add in Djokovic, and Roddick too and there was some real challenges for Hewitt. Yet he has stood the test of time and continued to battle on through the years. 

This is the third decade where Hewitt is competing in Grand Slam events. Granted he was (or as some might think, still is) a tool, but geez, he deserves praise for staying around so long and continuing to fight on given world no.1 in his career, Wimbledon title, US Open, were years ago. Has 29 career titles too...not to be sneezed at. Think he's a good Aussie battler, and I hope I'm talking about Tomic the same way in 10 or so years, but time will tell.
federer didnt win his first grand slam title till 2004.  Hewitt won his first of only two in 2001 in the USA and then Wimbledon in 2002.  Roddick won one US open in 2003.  Thats how good he was.  Federer is a great temnis player but even he benefitted from a soft competition for half his career.  Tennis had lots of competition in the 90's and shortly after Sampras retired was bereft of dominant players.  The competition was non existant for Federer until Djokovic arrived.

As for the petulant Hewitt, the thing i remember most about him were the excuses he rolled out whenever he lost at home.  He would blame the injuries, or the surface at Rod Laver, the equipment and never creditted his opponent.  The worst sportsmanship i have ever seen.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #26
When does Nadal play mister spoilt rotten?

Reply #27
When does Nadal play mister spoilt rotten?

7pm tonight.

Ash Barty looks like she has something to work with, very good ground strokes. Will need to improve her serve but she's only 17.

Reply #28
Beauty.  ;D

Also, Barty gave it a good crack last night. I like the look of her, think she'll have a good career.
Be interesting to see how Bernie goes tonight...

Reply #29
Beauty.  ;D

Also, Barty gave it a good crack last night. I like the look of her, think she'll have a good career.
Be interesting to see how Bernie goes tonight...

Out in straight sets hopefully.