Skip to main content
Topic: 2014 Australian Open  (Read 64280 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: 2014 Australian Open

Reply #45
Bruce is at his homoerotic best, drooling over Djokovic:  "He's just such a difficult man to penetrate ...  He's just so tight isn't he?"

Reply #46

Thats mind boggling Gozza.  Federer is a great, Nadal might be considered a great but has a fair way to go, and same with Djokovic who is also on his way to being a great, but Hewitt has played in one of the softest period of all around stars. 

Curious about this. What, in you opinion, makes a player great?  Rafa has won 13 grand slam titles, only Federer and Sampras are ahead of him.

He has a fair way to go? Rightio.

If you want to define greatness by results, then so be it, but for me, when you win 8 out of the last 9 French Open titles to make up the majority of that 13, and the one you lost happens to be to Roger Federer (Who you beat 4 out of the other 8 times in the final) then that speaks to the level of competition that exists in the world of Tennis.

Things have only gotten interesting over the last 3-4 years if you ask me, but thats just my opinion.  Aside from that, the competition has never been more lopsided which lessens the achievements of people currently dominating the tour.

"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #47
I heard he also hurt his right hand in the privacy of the locker room.

Maybe he was injured, but it seems he has a lot of such injuries!

LP's limited diagnosis, he is suffering from pea heart brought on by being a front running silver-spoon feed wanker!

Pathetic. You expect someone to play when injured as he obviously was just for your benefit. What have you ever done in your life where you can bag someone else.

Given  that i  expect y ou too boo every Carlton player  that comes off injured in 2014 and call  them weak otherwise you're a hypocrite.

Australians can be pathetic at times

For all those people who went too soon bagging Tomic, he had some scans today and they revealed a rather minor tear in his groin which is categorised as a Grade 1 tear, and the diagnosis advises that it is rested for 3 weeks.  For people in peak condition and athletes that are proffesionals, if they follow the right recovery process they might get back in 1 week.

Now I heard his post match press conference, and he was of the opinion that he was playing pretty well and he was dissapointed to pull out, but he had to.  His medicos advised that playing through it might have resulted in nothing but increased severity of the injury which might have seen him miss 3 - 4 months.

So, I think a few people should be eating their words.  I can tell you now, that as tough as footy players used to be, that would be more of a liability during a match than anything else, and you could only afford to carry a player with that sort of injury if the tagger is going to sit on them, rather than a teamate.

Paul Hewson

Reply #48

Thats mind boggling Gozza.  Federer is a great, Nadal might be considered a great but has a fair way to go, and same with Djokovic who is also on his way to being a great, but Hewitt has played in one of the softest period of all around stars. 

Curious about this. What, in you opinion, makes a player great?  Rafa has won 13 grand slam titles, only Federer and Sampras are ahead of him.

If you want to define greatness by results, then so be it, but for me, when you win 8 out of the last 9 French Open titles to make up the majority of that 13, and the one you lost happens to be to Roger Federer (Who you beat 4 out of the other 8 times in the final) then that speaks to the level of competition that exists in the world of Tennis.

Things have only gotten interesting over the last 3-4 years if you ask me, but thats just my opinion.  Aside from that, the competition has never been more lopsided which lessens the achievements of people currently dominating the tour.

Yet he's one of only 7 players in the history of the game to win all four slams. Even Sampras couldn't do that...and he won half of his slams at Wimbledon. It's OK to say he's a great though, I'm sure?

Reply #49
What's this RPM rubbish stat ch 7 has introduced. Let me tell you exactly how many RPMs these players achieve.. zero. What's wrong with measuring the racquet head speed or the ball speed which is actually meaningful.

Reply #50
Bruce is at his homoerotic best, drooling over Djokovic:  "He's just such a difficult man to penetrate ...  He's just so tight isn't he?"

Need some gel for this man maybe. I haven't heard Bruce call him delicious yet, or special for that matter.
This digital world is too much for us insects to understand.

Reply #51
Got to disagree with you there, IOT. RPMs are a good measure of top spin on a serve and on a groundstroke.  That's the secret to Nadal's dominance over Federer - he can spank the ball but he can also get it to climb high on his backhand.  Check out Tennis coaching sites and you'll see it isn't a silly TV gimmick. 

Reply #52
Oh, it's the ball's spin rather than the speed the player is swinging their racquet , I see.  :-[

Reply #53
Got to disagree with you there, IOT. RPMs are a good measure of top spin on a serve and on a groundstroke.  That's the secret to Nadal's dominance over Federer - he can spank the ball but he can also get it to climb high on his backhand.  Check out Tennis coaching sites and you'll see it isn't a silly TV gimmick.

Like with the kicker second serves to allow the ball to rise near shoulder height which is a difficult return. It would help if they explained what they were talking about rather than us resorting to Google all the time. ;D

Don't stress IOT. Never judge you here buddy. ;)
This digital world is too much for us insects to understand.

Reply #54
I heard he also hurt his right hand in the privacy of the locker room.

Maybe he was injured, but it seems he has a lot of such injuries!

LP's limited diagnosis, he is suffering from pea heart brought on by being a front running silver-spoon feed wanker!

Pathetic. You expect someone to play when injured as he obviously was just for your benefit. What have you ever done in your life where you can bag someone else.

Given  that i  expect y ou too boo every Carlton player  that comes off injured in 2014 and call  them weak otherwise you're a hypocrite.

Australians can be pathetic at times
Tomic is a wanker, I can't watch him play he is full of excuses. He makes diving soccer players look like UFC competitors!

Today after his presser he has been widely lambasted by senior tennis officials, current as well as past greats, all who think the whole press conference was an unbelievable charade. Quite a few stated an opinion Tomic continues to play tennis like a talented junior making childish excuses when things are not perfect for him, and failing to make the transition in work ethic and thinking that he needs to move into senior tennis. He gabbled on at the presser like a guilty child trying to explain their way out of the naughty corner.

Laj, trying to extend my criticism of Tomic to AFL players is far more extreme than my comments about Tomic!

Australia should get behind the likes of Dellacqua and Kyrgios and cut Tomic loose as a blood sucking lost cause!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #55

Yet he's one of only 7 players in the history of the game to win all four slams. Even Sampras couldn't do that...and he won half of his slams at Wimbledon. It's OK to say he's a great though, I'm sure?

Stop arguing semantics.  If its unclear to you, I think the term great is bandied about too readily these days.

Tennis of the nineties was a bit different.  Lots of players for both men and women were all at the top of their games and Tennis was much more cat and mouse than it was today.  Going into every tournament you were looking at any of roughly 6-8 players that could realistically win and that was true for men and women.

Now its one of Djokovic, Nadal, Federer is dropping off, and Murray is up and coming.  The rest are generally making up numbers.  One might make it interesting occasionally but usually thats a rarity.

Do I consider Sampras a great...  No.  A tennis great (given the dominance is more about timing than anything else).  For me a Tennis great should be someone who has won all four majors in a year.  Otherwise you end up with too many Greats.

Happy now?

Paul Hewson

Reply #56
Not sure how you can say the 90s was full of players at the top of tgeir game when you had one trick ponies like Ivanisavic (sp?) sitting at the pointy end of the top 10 for almost a decade. The big jump in technology and big players also resulted in what was largely regarded as the most boring decade of men's tennis.

Nadal is clearly the best clay courter of all time and Fed is the most rounded player. Add the 30 grand slams they share and they are both greats, quality of the competition is probably about the same.

Reply #57

Stop arguing semantics.  If its unclear to you, I think the term great is bandied about too readily these days.

Tennis of the nineties was a bit different.  Lots of players for both men and women were all at the top of their games and Tennis was much more cat and mouse than it was today.  Going into every tournament you were looking at any of roughly 6-8 players that could realistically win and that was true for men and women.

Now its one of Djokovic, Nadal, Federer is dropping off, and Murray is up and coming.  The rest are generally making up numbers.  One might make it interesting occasionally but usually thats a rarity.

Do I consider Sampras a great...  No.  A tennis great (given the dominance is more about timing than anything else).  For me a Tennis great should be someone who has won all four majors in a year.  Otherwise you end up with too many Greats.

Happy now?

Everything you know wrong.  ;D

Just pissing around thry.  ;D

Reply #58
Not sure how you can say the 90s was full of players at the top of tgeir game when you had one trick ponies like Ivanisavic (sp?) sitting at the pointy end of the top 10 for almost a decade. The big jump in technology and big players also resulted in what was largely regarded as the most boring decade of men's tennis.

Nadal is clearly the best clay courter of all time and Fed is the most rounded player. Add the 30 grand slams they share and they are both greats, quality of the competition is probably about the same.

Its all a matter of opinion.  Today players are about speed and power hitting the ball flat.  Back then slice, volley, lob.  All shots that were executed much more precisly than they are today.  Same is true of pretty much every sport.  Footy was better back then.  Soccer was better back then.  Basketball was better back then.  Every sport has become ballistic and has lost the finesse.

Bjorn Borg was the greatest clay courter of all time.  No technology, no sports scientists.  Perhaps my perspective is wrong and these guys might be the greats you say they are which is why they have no competition but maybe just maybe not.  We can't know for sure and thats the beauty of a forum.

Paul Hewson

Reply #59
Watching 41 year old Pat Rafter serve at 200 kilometres an hour in his doubles game, when speed was generally not his forte makes me think that im on the money regarding how good current players are. 

Paul Hewson