Skip to main content
Topic: Vertonghen's dive, why soccer is the world's most overated sport! (Read 24919 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Vertonghen's dive, why soccer is the world's most overated sport!

Reply #15
In the AFL that would constitute bringing the game in to disrepute.

I can't believe a game with a world body as powerful as it is could sit back and condone such behaviour on the world stage. If it does then that game is a farce.

You can see why the ACC made the bells and whistles show about corruption in sport, that dive is a prime example of what can happen!

I'd be checking the bank accounts of FIFA officials, spot bet anyone foul at the xx minute mark?

If global sport isn't getting hammered enough, Dank the new sports science executive for the IPL, like the IPLs reputation wasn't already bad enough! Yeah right, leave sport to the corporates, they won't steer it wrong!

Sooner or later someone must take a stand, I am happy for it to be the AFL, sport isn't run by Ayn Rand and it is not all about the success of individuals!

If soccer does not address this issue it can feck off I can't take it seriously anymore, it is an epidemic!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #16
Soccer players have been diving since long before I was born and they're still the number 1 sport in the world and by a long way.
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #17
Players get kicked all the time. Being kicked equates to a foul. If you don't go down you don't get paid said foul. The players have no choice.
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #18
Players get kicked all the time. Being kicked equates to a foul. If you don't go down you don't get paid said foul. The players have no choice.

You mean cheating is a choice?

Does EFC know this? ??? I have Hird they think it is just a consequence resulting from the actions of others!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #19
You're just rambling nonsense LP.

Boxing and UFC fans would laugh at Aussie rules players dropping to the turf from love taps.
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #20

You mean cheating is a choice?

It's not cheating I told you already, the foul is there more often than not. Would like to see you holding your ground with a 7 foot African built like a brick shthouse sliding in at a rate of knots. Playing soccer takes more balls than some would have you think. Those that would have you think that way obviously haven't played the game.
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #21
So true carrots, but this Vertonghen vision is simply deplorable and is the sort of cheating that only occurs rarely but when it does its a blight on the game.

FIFA should step in and take notice of stuff like this, and retrospectively suspend players who perform this action with no real possible clause.  Vertonghen initiated head contact, with the result being an unfair advantage.  Given video replays and the delay which normally occurs whilst the red carded player walks off the park, they should be given a minute to review the footage, and determine whether or not the red card was swan dive of this nature, and if so, reverse the decision.  That will make players think twice before milking a non existant assasination like the one Vertonghen pulled.

Im all for the trip that isnt seen without exaggerating the contact, but this sort of stuff is just crap.

"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #22
It's not cheating I told you already, the foul is there more often than not.

More often than not!

Like hurdling an opponents leg and rolling on the ground in agony, at least once a game.

Falling down and rolling a few dozen times almost right off the pitch after the slightest brush!

Tripping over your own feet and falling to the ground behind play holding your face.

Having a sub run on the ground and stop a goal!

Until they get fair dinkum about cases like this and ban players for years or life they are a joke, a massive joke that any sane person cannot take seriously! The trivial staging that is happening in AFL is under more scrutiny that the blatant lying that forms part of soccer.

Boxing and UFC fans would laugh at Aussie rules players dropping to the turf from love taps.

Yeah right there is a valid comparison, comparing any other sport to blood sports. Actually you are right, comparing UFC and AFL is probably as relative as AFL is to Soccer. And that is being kind to soccer, that Vertonghen event looks more like ballet or opera than sport.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #23

I m sure aussie rule players would laugh at boxing and efc ball skills too - hardly a comparison
All I remember is a caption I read sometime ago ... "soccer players pretend they're hurt, AFL players Pretend they're not"

Reply #24
It's not cheating I told you already, the foul is there more often than not.

More often than not!

Like hurdling an opponents leg and rolling on the ground in agony, at least once a game.

Falling down and rolling a few dozen times almost right off the pitch after the slightest brush!

Tripping over your own feet and falling to the ground behind play holding your face.

Until they get fair dinkum about cases like this and ban players for years or life they are a joke, a massive joke that any sane person cannot take seriously! The trivial staging that is happening in AFL is under more scrutiny that the blatant lying that forms part of soccer.

Yeah right there is a valid comparison, comparing any other sport to blood sports. Actually you are right, comparing UFC and AFL is probably as relative as AFL is to Soccer. And that is being kind to soccer, that Vertonghen event looks more like ballet or opera than sport.

Having a sub stop a goal???

Really?

Did that even happen?  Scattergun approach.

FWIW the AFL's credibility took a real hit over this drugs event and the whole competition looks like a complete farce particularly when you view the inequality in salary caps and flimsy excuses for it.

"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #25
More often than not!

ASADA says hi!

Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #26
I m sure aussie rule players would laugh at boxing and efc ball skills too - hardly a comparison

Well thanks for making my point.
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #27

Some Junior Aussie rules football leagues no longer keep score so they don't hurt the children's feelings.
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #28
Having a sub stop a goal???

Really?

Did that even happen?  Scattergun approach.

FWIW the AFL's credibility took a real hit over this drugs event and the whole competition looks like a complete farce particularly when you view the inequality in salary caps and flimsy excuses for it.

Are you really a soccer fan or are you just staging for the debate. How can you call yourself a soccer fan and not know about that story?

Drawing the drugs in sport debate into the soccer diving argument as some sort of justification, really?
And inequality in wages in AFL, compared to soccer, really?
Very long bow, a very long floppy bow!

Like I stated, you would have to be insane to justify this behavior in defending any code, irrespective of the sporting code it occurred in. Trying to do so is just irrational. Cheating as part of the game, we might as well have soccer matches decided by a game of Golden Balls (Liars at 5 paces!)
The Force Awakens!

Reply #29
Some Junior Aussie rules football leagues no longer keep score so they don't hurt the children's feelings.

All juniors codes do the same thing, actually in Australia it started in soccer back in the 90s when they did a great job of selling soccer to young mums as a safe alternative to that nasty wasty AFL or Rugby!
The Force Awakens!