Skip to main content
Topic: Vertonghen's dive, why soccer is the world's most overated sport! (Read 24930 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Vertonghen's dive, why soccer is the world's most overated sport!

Reply #30
Some Junior Aussie rules football leagues no longer keep score so they don't hurt the children's feelings.

All juniors codes do the same thing, actually in Australia it started in soccer back in the 90s when they did a great job of selling soccer to young mums as a safe alternative to that nasty wasty AFL or Rugby!

I wish they did it during the 00s in the AFL!

Reply #31
Drawing the drugs in sport debate into the soccer diving argument as some sort of justification, really?

You think staging is worse than taking performance enhancing drugs in a contact sport?
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #32
You think staging is worse than taking performance enhancing drugs in a contact sport?

No, do you think they are even similar enough to include in discussion on diving for fouls in soccer, other than both are potentially a criminal corruption of a result?

I am not even sure why PI2C mentioned ASADA in the first place it is irrelevant to the discussion. I assume he thinks the lack of AFL players being banned by ASADA justifies soccer authorities allowing players caught staging on video to get off free!

I have another analogy for you;
AFL is to Soccer like UFC is to WWF!

The Force Awakens!

Reply #33
LP, you're suggesting the sport is tainted by the diving, i'm suggesting the AFL is even further tainted by the use of PEDs. Not hard to figure out and the relevance is well and truly there.
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #34
Soccer doesn't have sides tanking to finish last.
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #35
LP, you're suggesting the sport is tainted by the diving, i'm suggesting the AFL is even further tainted by the use of PEDs. Not hard to figure out and the relevance is well and truly there.

I still don't get it.

Are you saying PEDs are not in soccer, is that your point?

Or are you saying the diving in soccer is trivial compared to PEDs.

But I see them both as cheating, so I am not sure why you discuss PEDs in AFL as a counter argument for the diving that occurs in soccer!

Hmm are you sure about that, sides have never lost a game to get into the right side of a world cup draw?
The Force Awakens!

Reply #36
Can't agree with the topic. Love my soccer as much as my footy and I think if AFL was played at the scale soccer is then there would be more to complain about.

Reply #37
Can't believe anyone could defend diving in soccer. It's like Selwood ducking his head (disgraceful) and the EFC drug scandal (unforgivable). We acknowledge the flaws in our game and attempt to overcome them. Diving in soccer makes the game unwatchable to fringe viewers who are yet to commit to the game.
IN WADA WE TRUST

Reply #38
Hmm are you sure about that, sides have never lost a game to get into the right side of a world cup draw?

Yes I'm sure sides don't tank to finish last. Finish last in the leagues and your relegated, last in the cup groups and you're eliminated.
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #39
In the sporting world today we saw the very antithesis of Vertonghen.

Ryan Harris.

Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #40
In the sporting world today we saw the very antithesis of Vertonghen.

Ryan Harris.

Hear, hear!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #41
Can't believe anyone could defend diving in soccer. It's like Selwood ducking his head (disgraceful) and the EFC drug scandal (unforgivable). We acknowledge the flaws in our game and attempt to overcome them. Diving in soccer makes the game unwatchable to fringe viewers who are yet to commit to the game.

Selwood ducks his head far more regularly than diving occurs in soccer.

We are not defending diving in soccer.  Its akin to all the things that fall into the category of "playing for a free kick" in either code.

Its part of both codes, and in fact all codes.  You draw the contact and then ensure that contact is noticed.  The end.

Some of it is borderline ridiculous which is a once in a blue moon proposition and that can occur in either code, and I can think of a couple of incidents off the top of my head.  One is Jack Darling going down from a Marcus Davies push to draw a double goal, another is a double goal against Essendon a few years ago, in which Davey got in someone's face, after a goal, was given a little shove, and he went down like someone just shot him, resulting in a goal.  That is ticky touchwood stuff, but the rules are clear.

One thing you will rarely see in soccer is a stuff up of such proportions in massive games like an elimination final.  (in context, this was the difference between winning and losing given the final margin was 3 points and this is the Darling incident I just mentioned).

In any case, you cant condemn a code based on something that doesnt make up a major part of the game.  That would be like turning away from footy based on the contact below the knees rule.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #42

Selwood ducks his head far more regularly than diving occurs in soccer.

We are not defending diving in soccer.  Its akin to all the things that fall into the category of "playing for a free kick" in either code.

Its part of both codes, and in fact all codes.  You draw the contact and then ensure that contact is noticed.  The end.

Some of it is borderline ridiculous which is a once in a blue moon proposition and that can occur in either code, and I can think of a couple of incidents off the top of my head.  One is Jack Darling going down from a Marcus Davies push to draw a double goal, another is a double goal against Essendon a few years ago, in which Davey got in someone's face, after a goal, was given a little shove, and he went down like someone just shot him, resulting in a goal.  That is ticky touchwood stuff, but the rules are clear.

One thing you will rarely see in soccer is a stuff up of such proportions in massive games like an elimination final.  (in context, this was the difference between winning and losing given the final margin was 3 points and this is the Darling incident I just mentioned).

In any case, you cant condemn a code based on something that doesnt make up a major part of the game.  That would be like turning away from footy based on the contact below the knees rule.

You make perfect sense. You could also include numerous examples based on Hayden Ballantyne as well.

Reply #43

Hasn't the AFL brought in rules following those incidents that players found diving without contact can be brought before the tribunal under the bringing the game in to disrepute rule, will soccer do the same?

I have no problem accepting the breadth of sports that it occurs in, I have a real problem when authorities of a sport ignore it, and I have a problem when fans of a sport worship the offenders like being deceptive or being a liar is a "skill" worth defending!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #44
Hasn't the AFL brought in rules following those incidents that players found diving without contact can be brought before the tribunal under the bringing the game in to disrepute rule, will soccer do the same?

Since they brought in those rules, who has been charged?

A lot of soccer clubs fine their players for doing this for example Tony Pulis manager of Crystal Palace just fined his winger Jerome Thomas for falling over in the box with no contact.
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!