Skip to main content
Topic: World Cup - 2019 (Read 23552 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: World Cup - 2019

Reply #90
Can't afford out of form batsmen. I'm thinking Handscomb and Wade are coming in for Maxwell and Khawaja. Maxwell is good but so unreliable and right now out of form. Likely to go out playing a dumb shot when we're in trouble.

Weren't Maxwell and Lyon our most economical bowlers against the Saffies on the last road like wicket we played on?

If I recall correctly, if Carey hadn't fumbled a stumping Maxwell would have had van der Dussen out for 7, instead he made 95 off 97 balls!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #91
Weren't Maxwell and Lyon our most economical bowlers against the Saffies on the last road like wicket we played on?

If I recall correctly, if Carey hadn't fumbled a stumping Maxwell would have had van der Dussen out for 7, instead he made 95 off 97 balls!

Yes, but he's making bugger all runs. He's the 6th bowler. I'd prefer to keep him if his batting was going ok as his bowling is very handy, but he's not making runs.

I'm hoping the reverse jinx will come into play here...haha.

Reply #92
Yes, but he's making bugger all runs. He's the 6th bowler. I'd prefer to keep him if his batting was going ok as his bowling is very handy, but he's not making runs.

I'm hoping the reverse jinx will come into play here...haha.

Yet for the tournament Stoinis is ranked lower than Maxwell in both Batting and Bowling, and he's nowhere near as valuable in the field!

http://stats.espncricinfo.com/ci/engine/records/averages/batting_bowling_by_team.html?id=12357;team=2;type=tournament

Reality versus perception!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #93
Yet for the tournament Stoinis is ranked lower than Maxwell in both Batting and Bowling, and he's nowhere near as valuable in the field!

http://stats.espncricinfo.com/ci/engine/records/averages/batting_bowling_by_team.html?id=12357;team=2;type=tournament

Reality versus perception!

Both have been crap with the bat, so can't have them both in the batting line up to start with. Stonis will pop up with wickets and bowl well in the last 10 overs. We'll go with a fast bowler before Maxwell's spin. He always been a better bowler. Stonis has 7 wickets from 7 matches to Maxwell's zero. That's the winner there. That is a reality.

Reply #94
Both have been crap with the bat, so can't have them both in the batting line up to start with. Stonis will pop up with wickets and bowl well in the last 10 overs. We'll go with a fast bowler before Maxwell's spin. He always been a better bowler. Stonis has 7 wickets from 7 matches to Maxwell's zero. That's the winner there. That is a reality.

The earlier posts you are discussing poor batting, yet you want to drop the guy who is going at twice the effective rate, is that consistent?

I think as a bat, bowl and field combination it's no contest, Maxwell is way ahead!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #95
The earlier posts you are discussing poor batting, yet you want to drop the guy who is going at twice the effective rate, is that consistent?

I think as a bat, bowl and field combination it's no contest, Maxwell is way ahead!

What are you talking about? You're the one who brought up his bowling and compared him to Stonis. Stoinis will always play ahead of Maxwell as an all rounder because of his bowling, which is superior. Maxwell is in the side mainly to bat with his bowling as a 6th option if needed. Maxwell is a better bat, and brilliant when on but is so good damn unreliable. So unreliable in fact that their ODI batting averages are Stoinis 35, Maxwell 32.44. Stoinis's bowling is better too. Any more to say?

Reply #96
What are you talking about? You're the one who brought up his bowling and compared him to Stonis. Stoinis will always play ahead of Maxwell as an all rounder because of his bowling, which is superior. Maxwell is in the side mainly to bat with his bowling as a 6th option if needed. Maxwell is a better bat, and brilliant when on but is so good damn unreliable. So unreliable in fact that their ODI batting averages are Stoinis 35, Maxwell 32.44. Stoinis's bowling is better too. Any more to say?

Well for example;

Can't keep playing blokes who aren't making runs. Wade, on the A Tour, was making good runs and striking at over 180, albeit not against the same opposition. He's been flying for 12 months and is just as likely to win you a match as Maxwell right now. Would be perfect match for the McCullums and Butlers right now.

Compared to Maxwell that would be Stoinis, yet you want us to drop the better batsmen for someone who is also a less durable / reliable bowler and at best an average fielder.

You are not being self consistent Laj!

If Stoinis breaks down after an over or two, Maxwell is exactly the type of player we need in the side!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #97
Well for example;

Compared to Maxwell that would be Stoinis, yet you want us to drop the better batsmen for someone who is also a less durable / reliable bowler and at best an average fielder.

You are not being self consistent Laj!

If Stoinis breaks down after an over or two, Maxwell is exactly the type of player we need in the side!

We're talking all rounders now. You brought the talk there and i'm running with it. Who has the the better ODI average batting and bowling average? That would be Stoinis. 

I'm being very consistent picking blokes on form. Neither are making runs. So can't have them both in the top 6, but Stoinis is a better bowler and we do need to pick an all rounder for a 5th bowling option. We can't pick 5 bowlers or hope that a batsman can roll down 10 overs. Not in the finals

Maxwell has more batting talent, Stoinis more bowling talent, but that batting talent is useless if you are not performing. You know that, I know that. It's that unreliable that his ODI batting average is worse than Stoinis. Maxwell is supposed for fit into the side for his batting alone, with his bowling an added bonus, Stoinis is there as the all rounder and bonefide 5th bowler so has to play. So if Maxwell, given he is there for his batting, isn't making runs then you bring someone in who is such as Wade, who is also capable of destroying a side very quickly and has been flying for 12 months. You can only wait so long for Maxwell to display his talent.

I'm not sure what part of that is so hard to understand.

Reply #98
Stoinis is a big injury risk - why take that risk and end up a player down?
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #99
We're talking all rounders now. You brought the talk there and i'm running with it. Who has the the better ODI average batting and bowling average? That would be Stoinis. 

I'm being very consistent picking blokes on form.

You are not being consistent at all, but you are being a bit of a Trump. Stoinis has worse form in this World Cup than Maxwell!

If Stoinis breaks down his bowling and fielding become worthless, worse than below average, it'll be like the last match were he became a traffic cone inside the circle because he couldn't throw or bowl! In the field Stoinis has a great arm, provided he isn't carrying a side strain!

Wade for Khawaja makes sense, but Handscomb in for Maxwell while keeping the injury risk out of form Stoinis doesn't! It doesn't seem to make sense no matter who we drop to allow us to retain Stoinis!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #100
India imploding.

4-30.
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #102
depends who you backed... ask Virat?

;) ;)
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #103
How things can change .... brittle batting by India

Reply #104
Beaten favorite, bookies will be happy.
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?