Skip to main content
Topic: 2018 Rd 18: Pre Game Passion: Carlton vs Gold Coast (Read 13168 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: 2018 Rd 18: Pre Game Passion: Carlton vs Gold Coast

Reply #30
My sources in Adelaide regaled him as being a damn good team-orientated bloke.  Regarded as a core player at the NBs but injuries seem to have knocked down his mobility and thus his utility at senior level.  He is still doing what he should be doing - mentoring kid and rucks and offering back up to the senior side as appropriate - but expecting him to play 20 senior games a season is unrealistic.

He was also on a big long term contract when Port were handing out money like lollies see Hamish Hartlett...Port wanted him out for salary cap relief so they could get Rockliff, Motlop and Watts......

Reply #31
I think we need to work out if Kreuzer is going on next year.
If he is, moth ball him. Get some games in to Lobbe. He was ok on the weekend, and I would rather him than a half fit Kreuzer, who may leave us one down again.
Saw Big Kreuz at Carlton’s kids clinic not long ago and my observation was the the big fella was simply “tired”. He did and said all the right things but it just seemed that everything he did was laboured and came with a lot of effort. I fear his body might not be holding up as well as it used to. Maybe we need to look at a 16 game schedule for him next year where he can do his absolute best and also have time to recover.

Reply #32
It wouldn't surprise me one bit if he pulls the pin at end of season.
He looks spent physically.
Thats why I think give him a rest now, that way if he does go around again, we are not risking another injury and he gets time to recover from whatever is going on for him physically now.

Reply #33
Has given absolutely everything for the club,  heart and soul player.
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #34
Yep. He is one of those guys who you know won't leave anything out on the ground.

Reply #35
Saw Big Kreuz at Carlton’s kids clinic not long ago and my observation was the the big fella was simply “tired”. He did and said all the right things but it just seemed that everything he did was laboured and came with a lot of effort. I fear his body might not be holding up as well as it used to. Maybe we need to look at a 16 game schedule for him next year where he can do his absolute best and also have time to recover.
Injuries aside, he just needs to be managed now that he at the back end of his career. We have other ruckman on the list, play one on the odd occasion to give Kreuzer as rest for a week.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #36
Actually thought that Lobbe wasn't too bad last week against Hawthorn. Casboult did nothing. I'd be going with two ruckmen (Kruezer & Lobbe) and leave McKay at FF.....he doesn't look to have the strength or tank to play as an on-baller at this stage. Kruezer, Thomas & Byrne in for Casboult, Fisher and Shaw. And maybe Rowe in to replace Jones with someone else to go out. Shaw has shown absolutely nothing in his two games and doesn't look up to AFL standard for mine.

Reply #37
Actually thought that Lobbe wasn't too bad last week against Hawthorn. Casboult did nothing. I'd be going with two ruckmen (Kruezer & Lobbe) and leave McKay at FF.....he doesn't look to have the strength or tank to play as an on-baller at this stage. Kruezer, Thomas & Byrne in for Casboult, Fisher and Shaw. And maybe Rowe in to replace Jones with someone else to go out. Shaw has shown absolutely nothing in his two games and doesn't look up to AFL standard for mine.

Actually, Mckay has been doing well on ball the last two weeks. Mightn't do so well rucking but running around chasing kicks and marks, without a number of defenders around him is doing alot for his confidence and development. Happy to go with that rather than leaving him to rot in our forward line. Who'd want to stay there for a whole game....lol. Two rucks has always been a shocker for us. Kreuzer plays much better when he's on the ball most of the day. Mckay can play Levi's old role as the forward ruck. That way we can use another smaller type instead of an extra lumbering type. I'd just let Weitering and Marchbank play the key defensive roles. Let them have the responsibility now. Can only help them plus the defence will be better balanced.

Reply #38
Actually, Mckay has been doing well on ball the last two weeks. Mightn't do so well rucking but running around chasing kicks and marks, without a number of defenders around him is doing alot for his confidence and development. Happy to go with that rather than leaving him to rot in our forward line. Who'd want to stay there for a whole game....lol. Two rucks has always been a shocker for us. Kreuzer plays much better when he's on the ball most of the day. Mckay can play Levi's old role as the forward ruck. That way we can use another smaller type instead of an extra lumbering type. I'd just let Weitering and Marchbank play the key defensive roles. Let them have the responsibility now. Can only help them plus the defence will be better balanced.

Yep. x2
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #39

That's the way I would go Jim.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #40
In Byrne Thomas Lang Lamb Rowe
Out Casboult Jones Shaw Graham Fisher
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #41
 No surprises there,  still no Matty K.

We will miss Fish but some handy ins.

Reply #42
No surprises there,  still no Matty K.

We will miss Fish but some handy ins.

Team looks a bit better IMHO...pity GC have some decent ins as well... I remember Bowes collecting Weitering I think it was in the game played early in the year...I'd like us to return the favour...

Reply #43
Casboult out was a must....he had been worse than poor since coming back from injury.

Has he been told his days are numbered?
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #44
I believe so.   I thought he was contracted for 2019 though?