Skip to main content
Topic: Post Game Parlay: AFL 2019 Rd 3: Carlton vs Sydney (Read 35276 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Post Game Parlay: AFL 2019 Rd 3: Carlton vs Sydney

Reply #150
If you were coach yesterday, what would you have done different to win us the game?

If Barbs was coach we wouldn't be worse because that would be impossible.
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #151
If you were coach yesterday, what would you have done different to win us the game?
That’s the issue, there is nothing you can do on game day when the game plan that you train 4-5 a week is no good. It’s too complicated and convoluted.
Best example I can give you is our tackling. We tackle around the waist and don’t look to lock the hands. Other teams specifically tackle by grabbing on to the hands, hence they get more Holding the Ball calls in comparison to us.

Reply #152
 I went yesterday and it was deja vu, nothing much has changed from last year except that now Cripps and Walsh fly the flag whereas last year it was only Cripps.
It's a big ask for a kid in game three.
If we don't start winning semi regularly Bolton is finished, he's a good bloke and probably a good coach but it's just not working at the moment, maybe we need someone a bit more hard nosed and ruthless to instil some real desire and confidence into the players.
Reload for next week, hopefully minus Polson and Gibbons, but 0 and 4 will make it very tough on Bolton.
The only thing in this world worth more than a hill of beans is the Carlton Football Club.

Reply #153
Why must it be a "lack of ruthlessness", a "lack of toughness" that is always identified as the reason why teams fare poorly ? Surely by now this is a cliche devoid of any serious analysis ? A team loses more than they win, therefor they must require a tougher coach, a harder training schedule, more rants, more sprays, and this will lead to greater success ?

It is not a given, nor is it even known, that this is what is needed. Pagan, Malthouse, Eade and I''m sure other coaches have endured either entire careers or phases in their careers when this isn't the issue, and when such an approach has backfired.

Quite apart from this, how do we know exactly what Bolton says or does behind closed doors ?

Reply #154
Until he actually achieves a degree of success Bolton will always suffer in comparison to premiership and finals coaches.
Their strengths will always be used as his weaknesses
His highpoint is a handful of wins while Clarkson was sick one year.

He needs some victories as much as his players.

Reply #155
I don't know if you were at the game yesterday Paul but from where I was watching we looked soft, and that isn't a term I throw around often.
The buck stops with the senior coach mate, we either harden up and start winning a few games or he's finished.
The only thing in this world worth more than a hill of beans is the Carlton Football Club.

Reply #156
Abandon the zone and play tight football. Almost like it’s wet - no more leaving opposition players in space to run around us. Stay close and tackle so hard they bleed from from their butthole for a week after playing us.

Probably drop a spare man back at times to slow their ball movement down and initiate run from half back. We have to use the corridor more and stop trying to get a mark on a half back flank, pause, then kick long down the boundary line to contests with a big pack. Risk averse footy won’t work for 4 quarters.

Instead, run hard, link up with short kicks and hand passes to make their defensive structures change. Rotate players more too to support this. The few guys we have who do work hard look dead by the fourth quarter. Instead, everyone should look dead when the siren goes. We have some good runners and need to use them more in open space.

Have senior players protect the kids. They have to send a message when the opposition tries to rough up our younger players to put them off. No more bruise free footy from bigger guys like Cas and Plowman. If someone has the courage to stand in front of Cas, McKay or Gov in the future they should have to change their underwear at half time. Hell I’d even play Cas on Franklin in the first quarter just so he could crunch him in the first marking contest.

Get the captain to talk to the umpires about the holding off the ball and the nonsense calls against us. We got a raw deal yesterday and need to complain more.

Reply #157
Also, if I were coach I’d be working with management to have free beer day so we have a full house of vocal hard core Carlton supporters to help lift the team.

A big, hostile crowd against an interstate team in full voice could also help the umpires rethink their nonsense frees against us and see the holding against Cripps.

Reply #158
I don't know if you were at the game yesterday Paul but from where I was watching we looked soft, and that isn't a term I throw around often.
The buck stops with the senior coach mate, we either harden up and start winning a few games or he's finished.

He may well end up finished sooner than expected, but if so, I doubt his failure will have anything to do with toughness, or ruthlessness, or a lack thereof.

Those are default, typically reactionary positions, from a group of individuals (i.e supporters) who have little or no direct experience of the inner workings of a football club. 

Reply #159
He may well end up finished sooner than expected, but if so, I doubt his failure will have anything to do with toughness, or ruthlessness, or a lack thereof

I'm not talking about flogging blokes at training or tearing strips off them verbally, what we lacked yesterday was mental strength.
When the going got tough some of our players simply didn't handle it, they made poor decisions under pressure and made skill errors executing basic tasks which they could do with their eyes closed at training.
It's a lack of self belief as much as anything, which means that we become reactive and second guess ourselves.
Collectively we don't expect to win, and when it inevitably turns against us we can't find another way.
Call it what you will, but ultimately Bolton will have to take responsibility.

Reply #160
I'm not talking about flogging blokes at training or tearing strips off them verbally, what we lacked yesterday was mental strength.
When the going got tough some of our players simply didn't handle it, they made poor decisions under pressure and made skill errors executing basic tasks which they could do with their eyes closed at training.
It's a lack of self belief as much as anything, which means that we become reactive and second guess ourselves.
Collectively we don't expect to win, and when it inevitably turns against us we can't find another way.
Call it what you will, but ultimately Bolton will have to take responsibility.

Wasn't this mental weakness / lack of self belief also the case under Pagan, Ratten, Malthouse and now Bolton ? So sacking the coach should solve it ?

Reply #161

How quick we forget.

Do we need to bring back Pagans hall of shame to refresh your memory?

Reply #162
Wasn't this mental weakness / lack of self belief also the case under Pagan, Ratten, Malthouse and now Bolton ? So sacking the coach should solve it ?

Under Pagan it was simply a lack of cattle, Ratten had a much better list and achieved some moderate success, Malthouse was a bad appointment from day one and it was a matter of time.
We still have holes in our list and are still well short of the top teams,  but we should be steadily improving with the talent we've added over the last three or four years.
That's all that supporters want to see, and that's why performances like yesterday are so disappointing.

Reply #163
Under Pagan it was simply a lack of cattle, Ratten had a much better list and achieved some moderate success, Malthouse was a bad appointment from day one and it was a matter of time.
We still have holes in our list and are still well short of the top teams,  but we should be steadily improving with the talent we've added over the last three or four years.
That's all that supporters want to see, and that's why performances like yesterday are so disappointing.

Every year since Bolton took over, it's been 40%-50% new players that take the field - when you look at last season (for example), take into account the injury toll, losing Gibbs + Docherty........ Where exactly is this improvement supposed to come from ?

Reply #164
How quick we forget.

Do we need to bring back Pagans hall of shame to refresh your memory?

Bolton actually has a worse record than Pagan.
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!