Skip to main content
Topic: Post Game Passion: AFL 2019 Rd 6: Carlton vs. Hawthorn (Read 46848 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Post Game Passion: AFL 2019 Rd 6: Carlton vs. Hawthorn

Reply #15
Well he’s yet to prove that he can be a successful game day coach. His record so far is frankly abysmal.

That's it....
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #16
No excuse for the loss, other than a shocker of a coach.

Other than Simmo, we had all the others available in the third quarter.

The last quarter put a lie to the fact that without the three players who weren't available we couldn't win.

As I said in the in game thread. I watched the last quarter of Port and North and North killed Port.

If they play like that against us, we won't win.

That's crazy. You have Docherty, Walls, Bolton, Teague, Barker, various analysts, statisticians etc., all watching the game, and you don't think that between that cast of thousands, one of them might see what the experts on here can see ? Do you think, maybe, just maybe, that whatever changes are made or not made, there may be some reasoning behind it ? That they may know a little more about the state of play than you or me ?

But no, by all means, sack the coach.

Reply #17
Well he’s yet to prove that he can be a successful game day coach. His record so far is frankly abysmal.

Let’s cut him some slack.
He needs another 3 years after beating a terrible Bulldogs outfit.
How dare we make the coach accountable

Reply #18

Yes, his record is lousy, but there's reasons for that IMO, as I've suggested previously. 

Reply #19
Feckin' unacceptable. Same old, same old.

This game clearly highlighted to me the lack of quality leadership we have - and I'm not talking about leading by example (e.g. Cripps). Hawthorn clearly have a core group who marshal different aspects of the game depending on the circumstance. That, and a better coach.

We really have to do better with kickouts.  The dinky kick to the pocket is so old school but it could also be symptomatic that we don't have the kicking skills to do better.  It simply telegraphs the fact to our opponent that we're timid and lack confidence.  In contrast, in that 3rd quarter, they hit someone on the chest on the 50 metre line and then took it coast to coast.

No Kreuzer, no Carlton. Silvagni good in the first half, rancid in the second.

Also, if I was to criticise one of the field umpires I would be labelled sexist, misogynistic, and chauvinistic. So I won't.
Keyboard warrior #24601

Reply #20
...and here we start creating an alternate version of history.

Someone in the in-game said at the start of the 3rd that we are now trying to put the clamps on Omeara.

Everytime the opposition get a run on, a team moves to slow the game down and break momentum. Every side.

We couldn't get our hands on the ball as easily as we did in the first half.

Talk about stating the bleeding obvious.

No one went near O'Meara - or anyone else for that matter.

The midfield went MIA - big time. Blokes like Dow, SPS, Fisher believing their own press...

Curnow should have been in there on O'Meara....

And don't even start on why the f... LOB gets picked after weeks of nothing.

JSOS awol. Well they all went AWOL sadly.
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #21
Appears evident that there are issues with the coaching..that and the fact we need a mature ruck. Kreuzer God Bless him doesn’t get a run and will never me consistently available. We need cover for him now.

Some players really lowered their colours. I won’t mention them by name. Others have. Retirement and trade will sort those two out. Softness and lack of intellect and speed of thought are sadly not something you can resolve with Coaching. Kennedy and Williamson , come on down.

My biggest disappointment in that game was the Coaching. As Mantis said, as soon as we don’t take the game on, we lose. Why, when we are 30+ on front, do we decide to change things up to that god aweful style. It doesn’t work. Either he isn’t listening to his assistants or something else is going on.

Onwards to North Melbourne. Let’s see how the Coaches perform in game next week.
Keep the Faith

Reply #22
No excuse for the loss, other than a shocker of a coach.

Other than Simmo, we had all the others available in the third quarter.

The last quarter put a lie to the fact that without the three players who weren't available we couldn't win.

As I said in the in game thread. I watched the last quarter of Port and North and North killed Port.

If they play like that against us, we won't win.

Agree with this

Plowman’s inidividual mistakes in that game cost us at least 4 goals (possibly more) and we can’t win games with people doing that. It’s not a one off either and he needs to be dropped.

Reply #23
Feckin' unacceptable. Same old, same old.

This game clearly highlighted to me the lack of quality leadership we have - and I'm not talking about leading by example (e.g. Cripps). Hawthorn clearly have a core group who marshal different aspects of the game depending on the circumstance. That, and a better coach.

We really have to do better with kickouts.  The dinky kick to the pocket is so old school but it could also be symptomatic that we don't have the kicking skills to do better.  It simply telegraphs the fact to our opponent that we're timid and lack confidence.  In contrast, in that 3rd quarter, they hit someone on the chest on the 50 metre line and then took it coast to coast.

No Kreuzer, no Carlton. Silvagni good in the first half, rancid in the second.

Also, if I was to criticise one of the field umpires I would be labelled sexist, misogynistic, and chauvinistic. So I won't.

Why is Daisy ever kicking out? His kicking on a goood day is very so so...
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #24
Yes, his record is lousy, but there's reasons for that IMO, as I've suggested previously.

Because he's not that good. That sounds like the reason.

Reply #26
No, that's not it.

It's 4 wins from 38. We're now 1-5. 4th year into a rebuild I expect wins and a rise up the ladder. Couldn't give a crap about comparisons to last year, that's just spin. We've lost 3 games we should've won, Sydney, GC and Hawthorn.

Reply #27
You can slice it anyway you want Paul.

Whatever BB's message was at half time - it failed dismally.

The players - everyone of them - was comatose at the start of Q3.

They didn't run, they missed tackles, they took the wrong option and they moved the ball incredibly slowly.

Hooray.
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #28
It's 4 wins from 38. We're now 1-5. 4th year into a rebuild I expect wins and a rise up the ladder. Couldn't give a crap about comparisons to last year, that's just spin. We've lost 3 games we should've won, Sydney, GC and Hawthorn.

I know the stats. I know you think we have a fab list. I would qualify that by saying we have a fab DEVELOPING list. And yes, there is a difference, and yes the difference matters.

Reply #29
Bolton lost me in thaty 3rd quarter.

Were they told to slow it down and switch to a zone (which always brings them undone)....

And no one even trying to stop their most prolific ball getter - AGAIN.

It's groundhog day.

I'd find it hard to believe this was a directive, BUT ... how many of us had that sense of dread at half time?

You'd think that after almost 20 years of being everybody's whipping boys we'd have developed some "attitude" and a sense that it's payback time.

Yes, you know sides will swing the changes and mix it up to get back from 5 goals down so how about a little pre-emptive strike every now and then?
Keyboard warrior #24601