Skip to main content
Topic: Post Game Passion: AFL 2019 Rd 6: Carlton vs. Hawthorn (Read 47240 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Post Game Passion: AFL 2019 Rd 6: Carlton vs. Hawthorn

Reply #315
Thanks for filling me in on that.
Clearly you have a very good education and high IQ.

I don’t think you represent my beliefs on leadership at all.

I just don’t think someone who doesn’t perform the “one percenters” or team acts is ever going to be a strong leader. Joel Selwood is not a big guy but easily one of the best leaders in the AFL.

I accept the game can be brutal, it’s a pity you can’t.
You often remark that it is unnecessary but the history of recently successful teams suggest otherwise.
That doesn’t mean thuggery, just brutally physical games.

Leaders that can’t handle that always get exposed.

Don't patronise me. I've been reading your posts long enough. Whether I'm dumb as dogsh1t or Mensa material is irrelevant. Your position is easy enough to understand, and your quibbling about words is wholly unnecessary. You don't like Murphy as captain, you don't like him as a senior player, you don't like him in the leadership group, and you don't like him in the team. At the very least, blokes like MBB, who don't like him much either, at least give credit where it's due.

Not every player does every 1%, not every player is a ferocious tackler. You can go back in time and find plenty of examples in the media of players highlighted for pulling out of contact. Jeffy Garlett, Nick Davis etc. I've never heard anyone in the media calling Murphy soft, despite the fact that they supposedly hate us.

Selwood is a protected species, and has had strong team mates around him for decades.

Reply #316
The simple fact is ………… the future is very exciting for us but there will be some heartache along the way.

These young players will continue to improve individually & collectively and in the not too distant future it will all click and watch out, it will be sensational to watch.

Whilst these close losses are gut-wrenching right now, they are also character building of the highest order.

I've wanted the list to be totally gutted & rebuilt properly for many years now and the club has finally embarked on that path so it will take some time to really pay dividends but I can start to see how good we are going to be.

As for Bolton, he is the one to take us there, I am quite certain of that.
"The Other Teams Can Rot In Hell"

Reply #317
The simple fact is ………… the future is very exciting for us but there will be some heartache along the way.

These young players will continue to improve individually & collectively and in the not too distant future it will all click and watch out, it will be sensational to watch.

Whilst these close losses are gut-wrenching right now, they are also character building of the highest order.

I've wanted the list to be totally gutted & rebuilt properly for many years now and the club has finally embarked on that path so it will take some time to really pay dividends but I can start to see how good we are going to be.

Nice post Boss.

Reply #318

Was it you who always said that you had to build the spine first and the rest will follow? If so you were right and, btw, I appreciate and agree with your positive post.

Reply #319
Nice post Boss.

X2

:)
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #320
Nice post Boss.

Well said indeed
Coming together is the beginning.
Keeping together is progress.
Working together is success.
Henry Ford.

Reply #321
Nice post Boss.

Nice post Boss.

Damn good post LL. You,re right on the mark.
I spent most of my money on Women and grog.
The rest I just wasted.

Reply #322
Was it you who always said that you had to build the spine first and the rest will follow? If so you were right and, btw, I appreciate and agree with your positive post.

Yes, I have always strongly advocated (and I think Brother Elwood may have as well) getting the best big guys you can to form the spine and then fill in the rest of the roles as they become available.

Good big players never get any shorter late in tight matches when fatigue starts to kick in, it is the big key position players who win you the big matches. I'm sure there will be someone wanting to argue to the toss on that but history has shown multiple times that the theory is correct even if there has been an alternative bob up for a one-off success. 
"The Other Teams Can Rot In Hell"

Reply #323

It's a basic of football, you have to get the structures right before you can become consistent.

To focus our emphasis on mids or small defenders is quite mad, they are a dime a dozen and you can trade any one of dozens of mids or HBFs in during any trade period!

But top KPPs, you probably have to draft 10 to find 1 A grade type!

The low value of the HBFs in particular is exposed by the AFLCA votes, look at defender votes, the coaches do not rate them even if they appear to save you the game!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #324

But top KPPs, you probably have to draft 10 to find 1 A grade type!

A few years ago we were crying out for a Key Forward...it was a constant gripe on here.....now, we're in the best position this club has been for quality KPPs (both forward & back) that I can remember for a long time.

Something has been done right.

Life is pain....... anyone who says differently is selling something.

Reply #325
A few years ago we were crying out for a Key Forward...it was a constant gripe on here.....now, we're in the best position this club has been for quality KPPs (both forward & back) that I can remember for a long time.

Something has been done right.

Now Ruckmen.

Quality ruckmen are even rarer, most teams have at least one or two A Grade KPPs on the list, but there are less A-Grade rucks than there are teams!

We've one who is at the moment has to deal with an unreliable body.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #326
Now Ruckmen.

Quality ruckmen are even rarer, most teams have at least one or two A Grade KPPs on the list, but there are less A-Grade rucks than there are teams!

We've one who is at the moment has to deal with an unreliable body.

At one point we had 3 quality rucks when we had no other KPPs !

....but lets not drag over that scenario decision again.

Life is pain....... anyone who says differently is selling something.

Reply #327
Did Christian forget his own rules (the SPS incident)?

Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #328
It's was Carlton, they get to make up the rules as they go!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #329

Yes, I have always strongly advocated (and I think Brother Elwood may have as well) getting the best big guys you can to form the spine and then fill in the rest of the roles as they become available.

Good big players never get any shorter late in tight matches when fatigue starts to kick in, it is the big key position players who win you the big matches. I'm sure there will be someone wanting to argue to the toss on that but history has shown multiple times that the theory is correct even if there has been an alternative bob up for a one-off success.
Yep like you my evil lord I am old school and was an advocate of spine first and then fill in the gaps later, think we have achieved that after 20 years of mis-firing at the draft and we have a lot of those
gaps filled in as well...problem I see it is we need to close a few gaps in the coaching box and then the only way is up.