Skip to main content
Topic: Post Game Passion: AFL 2019 Rd 4: Carlton vs. Gold Coast (Read 34977 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Post Game Passion: AFL 2019 Rd 4: Carlton vs. Gold Coast

Reply #195
Witts smashes Walsh in a marking contest and Cripps flys the flag.   Do any of the other 22 blokes have any stones? Dies that have to do everything?

Pathetic.

Prof, Flying the flag has never been one of our strong points for a few years now. Cripps is doing everything he can and you have to wonder how long he can keep it up?

Reply #196
Prof, Flying the flag has never been one of our strong points for a few years now. Cripps is doing everything he can and you have to wonder how long he can keep it up?

Find a few hard nuts - ASAP. Even if he's not a great footballer...
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #197
Holman, he has stones.   Wasn't he on our list,  oh,  that's right,  SoS cut him.
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #199
Holman, he has stones.   Wasn't he on our list,  oh,  that's right,  SoS cut him.
I'm convinced that he asked to leave.  We might have not seen the last couple of years coming but the exodus of our blokes engineering exit strategies points to the players knowing what was coming and choosing to go rather than ride out a rebuild. 

Not that he's any good anyway.  I'm not worried that we dont have him.  You can count the number of players who left carlton and have been as good or better on one hand or less and weve turned over 60 players in the last few years.

For everyone paying out on Murphy he was good today.  Hes just not as good as we needed him to be.  Ed curnow cost us more.  But they both did a mountain of work.

We are going to be stuck in honorable loss mode for the foreseeable future.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #200
First game at Carrara…totally unimpressed with the parking situation, with an old-timer like myself forced to walk miles when there were empty car spaces all around in permit areas. Muggins should have checked the pre-park.

I found it really interesting for a first time Gold Coast experience to note that of the ‘uniformed’ brigade (those in club colours) it was about a 50/50 split. No doubt a few made the journey up, but I suspect there was a fair bit of local support for Carlton as well… We may be sick but we’re not dead yet!

I’m afraid my contribution will be limited. Sitting in a forward pocket with my poor eyesight (I don’t know why I watch live anymore) only half the game was visible…so I saw our forwards 1st and 3rd and our defenders 2nd and 4th and on most occasions the play was anywhere but close by.

Firstly, I have to say I was as impressed by our defence as I was distressed at our forward line. Some of Jones’s efforts to get back and spoil were fantastic. There were a few mistakes with the backline, but there’s a real sense of combination back there. Weitering continues to have a good season and Newman has slotted in quite nicely. Apparently, there’s some knock on his kicking but what I saw of him today was pretty good. Daisy also very good.

The forwards…well there’s really nothing to discuss. There’s no structure, no system. Yes, some (a lot) of the delivery was poor but I saw very few of them presenting. The folks around me were livid we kept kicking to Gibbons but other options just weren’t there. The big men seemed to want to spend a lot of time further downfield. Harry had little influence and Charlie seems to be far from his form of previous seasons. I hardly noticed McGovern…I think all his goals were at the other end.

The thing is though, the Gold Coast forward setup was equally as dismal…and once again maybe that’s a credit to our defence. I guess the point is we saw a contest between two very average sides.

It’s a game we probably should have won, and I reckon we may not be too far off fluking one…but that’s only going to be meaningful if we can turn that win into a run of good performances.

Reply #201
Is it too soon to look for positives??

Jones and Weitering are looking more solid every week, Newman is working hard and is settling more each week, Daisy is deserving of his spot. Williamson and Docherty would compliment is all nicely, but we’ll only see one this year. Stoker is being groomed and obviously has potential. (He had a number of suitors)

Our forward line is a shambles, but has talent. McGovern, McKay and Curnow need to work out how to play together and maximize the entries. Silvagni is building up good form in the NBs, many believe Cunningham is ready to step up. Fasolo needs a decent block in the 2s to get him back in form. If our current forward coach can’t fix the mess, find someone who can.

Onball, besides Cripps, we need experience and muscle and unfortunately that comes with time. SPS is getting more involved and can find his way through traffic, Setterfield is a handful of games into his career, Fisher needs composure more often but has the attitude, Dow does 75% of things well but again lacks composure. Let’s see Lang and Kennedy once Russell has them primed and ready to go. Hopefully at least one will make a contribution moving forward. Gibbons? Refer Kane Lambert, it takes time to adjust. If Kruezer can stay on the park, that makes the midfield walk that bit taller.  De Koning will make it and be exciting.... and Walsh is a gun.

Problems
O’Brien
Simpson
Casboult
E Curnow
Lobbe

Going home with 4 pts today, wallpaper over current cracks or not, would have been a significant tonic but it was not to be.

Get Kruezer back in and get some soul back in the team 

Reply #202
Sorry Thryleon, disagree.   Holman would walk into our side.   Can tag because he runs both ways (something our blokes won't do),   kicked two goals today that really hurt,  has grunt and attitude.   I'd prefer him to the so called "silk" we have drafted,  none of whom show any grit: "silk" like Dow that can't find a target or a hard working ball butcher like Ed. 

Reply #203
Is it too soon to look for positives??

Jones and Weitering are looking more solid every week, Newman is working hard and is settling more each week, Daisy is deserving of his spot. Williamson and Docherty would compliment is all nicely, but we’ll only see one this year. Stoker is being groomed and obviously has potential. (He had a number of suitors)

Our forward line is a shambles, but has talent. McGovern, McKay and Curnow need to work out how to play together and maximize the entries. Silvagni is building up good form in the NBs, many believe Cunningham is ready to step up. Fasolo needs a decent block in the 2s to get him. If our current forward coach can’t fix the mess, find someone who can.

Onball, besides Cripps, we need experience and muscle and unfortunately that comes with time. SPS is getting more involved and can find his way through traffic, Setterfield is a handful of games into his career, Fisher needs composure more often but has the attitude, Dow does 75% of things well but again lacks composure. Let’s see Lang and Kennedy once Russell has them primed and ready to go. Hopefully at least one will make a contribution moving forward. Gibbons? Refer Kane Lambert, it takes time to adjust. If Kruezer can stay on the park, that makes the midfield walk that bit taller.  De Koning will make it and be exciting.... and Walsh is a gun.

Problems
O’Brien
Simpson
Casboult
E Curnow
Lobbe

Going home with 4 pts today, wallpaper over current cracks or not, would have been a significant tonic but it was not to be.

Get Kruezer back in and get some soul back in the team

Good post!

Gibbons is being played out of position, ditto Ed C. Stupid stuff.

Lachie O'Brien? Mistake to take him at #10 -doubt he'll make it.
Simmo - mother time is calling.
Levi - presented as a forward better than the other three (discounting the Gov's short cameo). Delivery Inside F50 was deplorable. He's goneski you'd think year's end...
Curnow - he's a stopper or nothing. Sorry Ed. (and wtf is the problem with Charlie?)
Lobbe - well past his best (noting Witts is a very big unit)
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #204
Sorry Thryleon, disagree.   Holman would walk into our side.   Can tag because he runs both ways (something our blokes won't do),   kicked two goals today that really hurt,  has grunt and attitude.   I'd prefer him to the so called "silk" we have drafted,  none of whom show any grit: "silk" like Dow that can't find a target or a hard working ball butcher like Ed.

Hes a pretty poor footballer though.

Check out his career stats.

We need better than Holman.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #205
Dunno, does a lot right does Nick  that our blokes can't seem to do.     We need the blokes on our list who are supposedly better footballers than Holman to start showing that they are.

I reckon we've reached line in the sand time.   Time for these blokes to put up or F off.  Enough's enough.

Reply #206
For everyone paying out on Murphy he was good today.  Hes just not as good as we needed him to be.  Ed curnow cost us more.  But they both did a mountain of work.

This is just over the top.
Murphy was ok to good, until the last kick which was pathetic.
He just cannot deliver when it counts.
Sure he linked up in some nice passages of play but by god he would want to.
Problem is he is our most experienced player, one of the highest paid, ex captain and he can’t ice the game.
Not only that he didn’t get close with some pathetic dribble kick with 6 players in front of him

Reply #207
I reckon we've reached line in the sand time.   Time for these blokes to put up or F off.  Enough's enough.
Absolutely agree with this.

Some of these players really need to take this team by the scruff - and no, not talking Cripps, the man is absolutely everywhere, for goodness sake, it was him that smothered a kick in GC's F50 in the last to save a goal - whilst 3 others including Dow stood back watching!  This is the basic basic stuff, and yet we're still relying on only him to do these little things consistently!  Not GOOD ENOUGH!

Line in sand this game - who wants to build up with this team? Who wants to win games! Who wants it so much they'll hurl at the end of the game because they've given their absolutely everything? that's what we need! This team is there for the taking, come on boys, take it!

Reply #208
The thing is though, the Gold Coast forward setup was equally as dismal…and once again maybe that’s a credit to our defence. I guess the point is we saw a contest between two very average sides..

That sums it up Lods and it’s hard to see how Gold Coast has managed three wins  :o

I thought that we had the better tactics but the advantage we gleaned from that was negated by poor delivery and some rookie mistakes from our first and second year players (Walsh excluded).

Bolton’s next task must be to lock Cameron Bruce and David Teague in a room until they have a common understanding of how the midfield and forward line will work together.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #209
That sums it up Lods and it’s hard to see how Gold Coast has managed three wins  :o

I thought that we had the better tactics but the advantage we gleaned from that was negated by poor delivery and some rookie mistakes from our first and second year players (Walsh excluded).

We try to drag everyone we play into ugly low scoring crap affairs and hope they kick less than us, which rarely happens.

2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!