Skip to main content
Topic: Post Game Passion: AFL 2019 Rd 4: Carlton vs. Gold Coast (Read 34243 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Post Game Passion: AFL 2019 Rd 4: Carlton vs. Gold Coast

Reply #225
3AW sports editor says that CFC powerbrokers "and there are plenty of them" have given BB 4 to 8 weeks to show a dramatic improvement in the team or he is gone.

Interesting how much there is to that.

Reply #226
Ironic?

I've probably been Daisy's bandwagon #1 ticket holder since the day he was recruited....and reason being was because he would show the rest of our rabble how to go about it, continually.

It was never about how good of a player he was/is/will be, it was about effort, brains and work rate. He has been to the top of the tree and knows whats required to get there. We cannot say the same of any other player on the list.

We need more daisy types on the list, and we'll 'magically' improve.

Like, Like, Like!!!

Reply #227
This is what I hate about stats watchers. They re-write history to suit their narrative. Watch the game and see Murphy's lackluster tackling efforts and general commitment to the cause and then make a comment. Don't just look at his stats and say, gee he had 29 touches, a good day out in anyone's language.

I could get 29 touches if I ran around, freely with no tag mind you, and presented like he did getting those cheap kicks in the back line like he did. Then he'd provide a 10-15 metre kick to the wing and would select the easiest option, something that wouldn't necessarily generate anything of note for the team, but would definitely pad out his stat sheet. F##k me, watch the game not the stats!

His last kick was just the icing on the cake for a forgettable soft non-committal game like he normally provides, yet is lauded for. I just don't get it, what are you people seeing. Are you that disconnected from reality that you rely on stats to prove a players worth and contribution to a game?

Paul Roos praised Murphy's and ed curnow's workrate during the game yesterday.

Bloke has forgotten more about football than we'll ever know.

"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #228

Yet never coached one Swans player to emulate Murphy's style....

Reply #229

He's probably thinking he may be working more directly with them in the future.

Reply #230

indeed Lods!
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #232
3AW sports editor says that CFC powerbrokers "and there are plenty of them" have given BB 4 to 8 weeks to show a dramatic improvement in the team or he is gone.

Interesting how much there is to that.

Steve Silvagni + (the Judge x Mathieson) + Zac Dawson + Brad Lloyd - Brendan Bolton = Ross Lyon

EDIT : thanks to brother Elwood  :D

Reply #233

Maybe.

The afl app supports him.  Murphy put in 13 pressure acts, 700 metres gained and 29 disposals divided 52% in the defensive half and 48% in the attacking half.

72% disposal efficiency with only 5 handball and 5 score involvements.

Statistically our 2nd or 3rd best on ground, bested only by cripps, with Sam Walsh riding along for company who provided less metres gained but more score involvements.

Weitering and Jones round out our top 5 on the field.  The problems dont come from this end.  It's the 8 or 10 we get less than 3/4 worth of involvements from that are hurting us.

I'll call out Murphy when hes having a shocker.  He had 26 disposals against port and it was a nothing game with 20+ handballs.  Yesterday was his best game for quite some time.  He just isnt a game winner anymore and captain courageous kicking to Gibbons inside 50 should hang his head in shame.  We had barely entered inside 50 in the 4th quarter and a mistake like that ducks the life out of you.  He wasnt the lone ranger but I get the feeling they spent more time trying to give Gibbons a goal yesterday and it worked to cost us the game. 
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #235
He just isnt a game winner anymore and captain courageous kicking to Gibbons inside 50 should hang his head in shame.  We had barely entered inside 50 in the 4th quarter and a mistake like that ducks the life out of you.  He wasnt the lone ranger but I get the feeling they spent more time trying to give Gibbons a goal yesterday and it worked to cost us the game.

Yeah Cripps was terrible for that one mistake.

Walsh laid 6 tackles.
Murphy 12 years his senior was 2.

Now way was Murphy better than Cripps, Weitering, Jones or Walsh.

He should have kicked that goal.

Reply #236

Walsh laid 6 tackles.

You will never take a holistic view of what Murphy does, so discussing this with you is a waste of time. You and your associates cherry pick every negative, sometimes only a perceived negative, and amplify them to justify to a supposedly objective position, what is in fact seriously biased and full of barely disguised hatred and vitriol.

Reply #237
Very uninspiring speaker. Sounds either asleep, distracted, disinterested, I don't know what. Doesn't inspire much confidence tbh.

Very, very uninspiring - couldn't even answer the simple question re the forward set up (and 1 forward staying in the goal square at all times) with any clarity.

As if he had no real idea of the game plan!
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #238

Walsh laid 6 tackles.

He should have at least scored!
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #239
You will never take a holistic view of what Murphy does, so discussing this with you is a waste of time. You and your associates cherry pick every negative, sometimes only a perceived negative, and amplify them to justify to a supposedly objective position, what is in fact seriously biased and full of barely disguised hatred and vitriol.

The problem is I don't think you take a holistic view of what he doesn't do.

Why do others have to do the heavy lifting and Murphy is exonerated from it?

Why is it ok for an 18 year old to get his hands dirty, run both ways and apply defensive pressure, when the ex captain doesn't.

If you are going to judge Murphy, I am very happy to judge him on his overall game.
That is exactly where his game falls apart.

Hard running and 28 disposals is the least he should provide as there is SFA else