Skip to main content
Topic: Post Game Passion: AFL 2019 Rd 4: Carlton vs. Gold Coast (Read 34670 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Post Game Passion: AFL 2019 Rd 4: Carlton vs. Gold Coast

Reply #240
The problem is I don't think you take a holistic view of what he doesn't do.

Why do others have to do the heavy lifting and Murphy is exonerated from it?

Why is it ok for an 18 year old to get his hands dirty, run both ways and apply defensive pressure, when the ex captain doesn't.

If you are going to judge Murphy, I am very happy to judge him on his overall game.
That is exactly where his game falls apart.

Hard running and 28 disposals is the least he should provide as there is SFA else

You have an extremely narrow focus on crash n bash and tackling, as if that's all there is to football. Last time I checked, there's more to it than that.

Reply #241
Hard running and 28 disposals is the least he should provide as there is SFA else

You must think then that Craig Bradley was the ultimate spud, because he was even less physical than Murphy!

Personally, I think toughness has nothing to do with knuckles, and far more to do with dragging your ar5e out there over and over again despite living through years of being mindlessly stepped on!

I'm not sure I can say their are tougher types than the likes of Bradley, Murphy, Harvey, Riewoldt, McLeod, Kelly, etc., etc.. Guys who had opponents at first gasping for breath, then went again until they threw up!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #242
You have an extremely narrow focus on crash n bash and tackling, as if that's all there is to football. Last time I checked, there's more to it than that.

Not at all, that is simply what you think I mean.

I am saying there is a lot more to it than getting 28 kicks.

That is where Murphy starts and stops.

What else does he provide outside that?

Certainly no defensive pressure, no running defensively, no tackling.

Keep in mind, the modern game is more about defensive pressure and tackling than ever before.

Reply #243
Not at all, that is simply what you think I mean.

I am saying there is a lot more to it than getting 28 kicks.

That is where Murphy starts and stops.

What else does he provide outside that?

Certainly no defensive pressure, no running defensively, no tackling.

Keep in mind, the modern game is more about defensive pressure and tackling than ever before.

Murphy finished 2nd in the AFL fantasy points, behind Cripps and ahead of Walsh.

Reply #244
Steve Silvagni + (the Judge x Mathieson) + Zac Dawson - Brendan Bolton = Ross Lyon

Tend to agree......if there is a change I would expect Lyon to be approached, while I remain unconvinced on Bolton I remain convinced that Lyon
isnt the messiah either..

Paul...You can add Brad Lloyd to that equation too....

Reply #245
Tend to agree......if there is a change I would expect Lyon to be approached, while I remain unconvinced on Bolton I remain convinced that Lyon

Fixed EB. I agree. Following the R1 game, I thought Lyon had finally figured out why the field had goal posts. Turned out to be a mirage.

Reply #246
I do know that good teams save many goals on the goal line through being drilled and disciplined. Are these the sort of tactics which are low down on the whiteboard? Probably, when you have a list that reads:
1. Kick to the man leading towards you who is wearing the same colour jumper as you
2. When you kick the ball (see #1), make sure it travels in the air and fairly straight
3. Try and handball to a teammate in a better position than you
4. Try and handball so said teammate doesn’t have to bend down to pick up the ball
5. If there is a player wearing a different jumper than yours and he has the ball, tackle him
6. If someone wearing the same jumper as you is already tackling someone wearing a different jumper, don’t leave your man to help out
7. Remember to put your socks on BEFORE your boots. This last one is important - I can’t stress this enough
We do the exact opposite to every one of those week in week out, 3 in particular. Hence,0-4.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #247

Longmire. He's probably done as much as he can at Sydney. I'm not in favour of removing Bolton, but Horse would be the one I'd be interested in, were it to happen.

Reply #248
Fixed EB. I agree. Following the R1 game, I thought Lyon had finally figured out why the field had goal posts. Turned out to be a mirage.

Yep, we cant kick 100 points and I dont see how employing the most negative game plan coach in the comp is going to fix that.....

Reply #249
If you think some are over critical of Bolton....wait until you see what this place would do to Ross Lyon. ;D
He wouldn't even get a "honeymoon weekend" before the boots went in.

No chance he would be an acceptable alternative to the masses.
Unless of course he won a flag in his first year. ;)

Reply #250
If you think some are over critical of Bolton....wait until you see what this place would do to Ross Lyon.
He wouldn't even get a "honeymoon weekend" before the boots went in.

No chance he would be an acceptable alternative to the masses.
Unless of course he won a flag in his first year.

Any coach who gets us out of the bottom 4 will be a genius in the eyes of many supporters.
There is an old saying " a drowning man will cling onto a serpent"...think that applies to Lyon.

Reply #251
On Setterfield, when you consider how much footy he's missed, and how difficult it must be to look half decent in our team, I think he's tracking ok. Watching on the telly I've seen him do some good things.

Certainly a pass IMO.

Reply #252
Yep, we cant kick 100 points and I dont see how employing the most negative game plan coach in the comp is going to fix that.....

who cares about 100 points EB, i'll be happy with 50 if the other guys only score 46.
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #253
A better kick or two and we would be enjoying a win.

For what it is worth, the calls to make radical changes and things are failing need to heed the huge changes we have made as a club. The only things an executive (read head coach) can do to effect change is change budgets or people. We have a salary cap so the first is out. And on the second we have made massive changes. Any workplace that has had the percentage of staff turnover we gave had is going to find the going tough for a while.

The club is now settling its playing list. Our footy this year has been better. We arn't scoring much, but nor are most teams. We have been in games and have not been blown away.  I want to see a win, but I'm certain the coach and players want it the most.

Reply #254
A better kick or two and we would be enjoying a win.

For what it is worth, the calls to make radical changes and things are failing need to heed the huge changes we have made as a club. The only things an executive (read head coach) can do to effect change is change budgets or people. We have a salary cap so the first is out. And on the second we have made massive changes. Any workplace that has had the percentage of staff turnover we gave had is going to find the going tough for a while.

The club is now settling its playing list. Our footy this year has been better. We arn't scoring much, but nor are most teams. We have been in games and have not been blown away.  I want to see a win, but I'm certain the coach and players want it the most.

Yes, I agree, but that's too sensible for most. It's usually something like :

- knee jerk
- pitch forks
- media pressure
- sack coach