Skip to main content
Topic: Post Game Passion: AFL 2019 Rd 4: Carlton vs. Gold Coast (Read 34977 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Post Game Passion: AFL 2019 Rd 4: Carlton vs. Gold Coast

Reply #210
We try to drag everyone we play into ugly low scoring crap affairs and hope they kick less than us, which rarely happens.

We haven't been the main perpetrators of this tactic this season, and if it improves our chance of winning who cares!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #211
Dunno, does a lot right does Nick  that our blokes can't seem to do.     We need the blokes on our list who are supposedly better footballers than Holman to start showing that they are.

I reckon we've reached line in the sand time.   Time for these blokes to put up or F off.  Enough's enough.

18 disposals for two goals.  Wasnt in the ten for the day, and if not for a generous holding the ball decision (he simply let go of the footy whilst being tackled) he wouldn't have had more than a  goal.

Hes 22, and has averaged about 15 disposals across his career thus far.

It's like people pumping up Billy gowers for being a good finisher at the dogs. 

They are simply guys playing better than our guys are at the moment because they're more mature and playing in teams where they can play lesser roles better because they have more players around them firing than we do.

This is just over the top.
Murphy was ok to good, until the last kick which was pathetic.
He just cannot deliver when it counts.
Sure he linked up in some nice passages of play but by god he would want to.
Problem is he is our most experienced player, one of the highest paid, ex captain and he can’t ice the game.
Not only that he didn’t get close with some pathetic dribble kick with 6 players in front of him

Check his stats.  He was in the top handful of players on the ground statistically,  kicked it 24 times of his 29 disposals,  worked his dot off, and gained a whopping 700+ metres which puts him in the elite category, and had 5 score involvements with 13 pressure acts.

Yes he muffed his last kick.  We had lost the game by then.  Players have no idea how much time is left and let's not pretend he was close to goal.  He had no room to measure that kick from roughly 40 out with pressure around him, and he's a soft target (pardon the pun).  I was livid with his match against port.  I'll be the first to chastise Murphy when its warranted and yesterday it wasn't a fair criticism.

"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #212
Check his stats.  He was in the top handful of players on the ground statistically,  kicked it 24 times of his 29 disposals,  worked his dot off, and gained a whopping 700+ metres which puts him in the elite category, and had 5 score involvements with 13 pressure acts.

Yes he muffed his last kick.  We had lost the game by then.  Players have no idea how much time is left and let's not pretend he was close to goal.  He had no room to measure that kick from roughly 40 out with pressure around him, and he's a soft target (pardon the pun).  I was livid with his match against port.  I'll be the first to chastise Murphy when its warranted and yesterday it wasn't a fair criticism.

A valiant effort, from you and Murphy, but I suspect both are wasted! ;D
The Force Awakens!

Reply #213

This is what I hate about stats watchers. They re-write history to suit their narrative. Watch the game and see Murphy's lackluster tackling efforts and general commitment to the cause and then make a comment. Don't just look at his stats and say, gee he had 29 touches, a good day out in anyone's language.

I could get 29 touches if I ran around, freely with no tag mind you, and presented like he did getting those cheap kicks in the back line like he did. Then he'd provide a 10-15 metre kick to the wing and would select the easiest option, something that wouldn't necessarily generate anything of note for the team, but would definitely pad out his stat sheet. F##k me, watch the game not the stats!

His last kick was just the icing on the cake for a forgettable soft non-committal game like he normally provides, yet is lauded for. I just don't get it, what are you people seeing. Are you that disconnected from reality that you rely on stats to prove a players worth and contribution to a game?
Drugs are bad, mmmkay...

Reply #214
This is what I hate about stats watchers. They re-write history to suit their narrative. Watch the game and see Murphy's lackluster tackling efforts and general commitment to the cause and then make a comment. Don't just look at his stats and say, gee he had 29 touches, a good day out in anyone's language.

I could get 29 touches if I ran around, freely with no tag mind you, and presented like he did getting those cheap kicks in the back line like he did. Then he'd provide a 10-15 metre kick to the wing and would select the easiest option, something that wouldn't necessarily generate anything of note for the team, but would definitely pad out his stat sheet. F##k me, watch the game not the stats!

His last kick was just the icing on the cake for a forgettable soft non-committal game like he normally provides, yet is lauded for. I just don't get it, what are you people seeing. Are you that disconnected from reality that you rely on stats to prove a players worth and contribution to a game?

I thought Walsh's game far outdid Murphy's.

Got involved physically, even though he is only 18.
Tackled and chased and pressured the opposition.

Murphy was "ok", but he needs to ice the game in that situation as he doesn't provide any of the other stuff.
Tackling was pathetic, but apparently he has a pass from many on tackling, he shouldn't have to.

Oh but he had 29 possies so he's a star.

Who did he play on?
What was their impact on the game?

Reply #215
We haven't been the main perpetrators of this tactic this season, and if it improves our chance of winning who cares!

Well it isn't improving our chances because we never win.

2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #216
I do know that good teams save many goals on the goal line through being drilled and disciplined. Are these the sort of tactics which are low down on the whiteboard? Probably, when you have a list that reads:
1. Kick to the man leading towards you who is wearing the same colour jumper as you
2. When you kick the ball (see #1), make sure it travels in the air and fairly straight
3. Try and handball to a teammate in a better position than you
4. Try and handball so said teammate doesn’t have to bend down to pick up the ball
5. If there is a player wearing a different jumper than yours and he has the ball, tackle him
6. If someone wearing the same jumper as you is already tackling someone wearing a different jumper, don’t leave your man to help out
7. Remember to put your socks on BEFORE your boots. This last one is important - I can’t stress this enough
Keyboard warrior #24601

Reply #217
Pretty damn sure that the architects of our rebuild didn't see us winless after almost 20% of the 4th year, following a 2 win 3rd year.

A monumental cock-up finally rearing it's ugly head ( :))so to speak, don't you love metaphors!!!)????

BB throwing Bruce and Teague under the bus during his post-game media, cliche pregnant presentation was very poor form. If there's a problem with the connect between mids and forwards... deal with it in-house. Sounded a lot like, "Their fault, not mine, mummy and daddy."

Put Bruce, Teague and Bolton together in a room and tell them to get it sorted. How the fck did it get to this in the first place? You guys have been working together for yonks. How did this midfield/forward line 'disconnect' come to be? Who's accountable/responsible? Stop bleating to the media about it and do something about ...do, don't think, do!  ;)

Maybe BB should be spending more time with his assistants than bbq's etc with the players? Maybe 'falling in love' with the players... being their pal, has blurred important boundaries between senior coach and players, undermining authority/discipline, created groups within groups (which is poison to cohesion)?

Maybe BB should be spending way more time building strong, cohesive, accountable, authentic, respectful and even inspired relationships with his coaching and development colleagues (so consistent messages are communicated to the players... very, very good antidote to 'disconnectedness')?

Whichever way you cut it, this 'rebuild' is obviously not going as planned. Is it salvageable? Of course it is but the architects had better intervene, soon.
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #218
Pretty damn sure that the architects of our rebuild didn't see us winless after almost 20% of the 4th year, following a 2 win 3rd year.

A monumental cock-up finally rearing it's ugly head ( :))so to speak, don't you love metaphors!!!)????

BB throwing Bruce and Teague under the bus during his post-game media, cliche pregnant presentation was very poor form. If there's a problem with the connect between mids and forwards... deal with it in-house. Sounded a lot like, "Their fault, not mine, mummy and daddy."

Put Bruce, Teague and Bolton together in a room and tell them to get it sorted. How the fck did it get to this in the first place? You guys have been working together for yonks. How did this midfield/forward line 'disconnect' come to be? Who's accountable/responsible? Stop bleating to the media about it and do something about ...do, don't think, do!  ;)

Maybe BB should be spending more time with his assistants than bbq's etc with the players? Maybe 'falling in love' with the players... being their pal, has blurred important boundaries between senior coach and players, undermining authority/discipline, created groups within groups (which is poison to cohesion)?

Maybe BB should be spending way more time building strong, cohesive, accountable, authentic, respectful and even inspired relationships with his coaching and development colleagues (so consistent messages are communicated to the players... very, very good antidote to 'disconnectedness')?

Whichever way you cut it, this 'rebuild' is obviously not going as planned. Is it salvageable? Of course it is but the architects had better intervene, soon.

Far to harsh Baggers.

Surely the love fest is the way forward.

It will sort its self out in time.

Just give it another decade or two

Reply #219
Setters and Dow to the 2s.

The first to learn how to influence a game again, the latter to learn how to kick (again?).

LOB too.

Kennedy, SoJ and Gibbons into the guts.

Garlett into a small forward role.

Players TOLD to kick to the TALL blokes - not the small blokes - in the forward 50. Kind of surprised this message hadn't been imparted earlier in their careers!  ::) ::)

Perhaps the tall blokes can wear a special flouro badge!!

Get Willo back in ASAP, even if at Simmo's expense.

And big Matty K in ASAP. The smiling assassin.

Not cute dinky kicks - I think 9 out of every 10 screwed up spectacularly yesterday! (and all the mids were (trying to) do it bar Crippa)

Our young mids:

Zac Fisher                          11   9   20   3   0   0   0   4   1   1   83
12Sam Petrevski-Seton   6   12   18   2   0   0   1   7   0   0   73
13Will Setterfield          14   2   16   8   0   0   3   2   0   1   70
14Paddy Dow                   7   13   20   3   0   0   0   3   0   1   69

Lochie O'Brien                 10   0   10   6   0   0   1   3   0   0   57
19Michael Gibbons         12   4   16   3   0   1   4   1   0   3   49

Samo 7 tackles the rest pffft. Sam Walsh had 6....are the others simply not working hard enough, are they ball watching, but they need to change their ways...compare to King Crippa, 12 tackles - not bad for a slow bloke!!!

Patrick Cripps                 15   15   30   8   0   4   0   12   2   0   163
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #220
Setters and Dow to the 2s.

The first to learn how to influence a game again, the latter to learn how to kick (again?).

LOB too.

Kennedy, SoJ and Gibbons into the guts.

Garlett into a small forward role.

Players TOLD to kick to the TALL blokes - not the small blokes - in the forward 50. Kind of surprised this message hadn't been imparted earlier in their careers!  ::) ::)

Perhaps the tall blokes can wear a special flouro badge!!

Get Willo back in ASAP, even if at Simmo's expense.

And big Matty K in ASAP. The smiling assassin.

Not cute dinky kicks - I think 9 out of every 10 screwed up spectacularly yesterday! (and all the mids were (trying to) do it bar Crippa)

Our young mids:

Zac Fisher                          11   9   20   3   0   0   0   4   1   1   83
12Sam Petrevski-Seton   6   12   18   2   0   0   1   7   0   0   73
13Will Setterfield          14   2   16   8   0   0   3   2   0   1   70
14Paddy Dow                   7   13   20   3   0   0   0   3   0   1   69

Lochie O'Brien                 10   0   10   6   0   0   1   3   0   0   57
19Michael Gibbons         12   4   16   3   0   1   4   1   0   3   49

Samo 7 tackles the rest pffft. Sam Walsh had 6....are the others simply not working hard enough, are they ball watching, but they need to change their ways...compare to King Crippa, 12 tackles - not bad for a slow bloke!!!

Patrick Cripps                 15   15   30   8   0   4   0   12   2   0   163

Charlie Curnow needs a serious wake up call.
He should be running harder than Nick Reiwolt did.
Reading far too many articles about himself.

Reply #222
Doesn't look like the general frustration at the loss is in any danger of subsiding.  Neither should it.

Again, what is the tipping point before the club says "enough"?   Not that I trust the hierarchy either ... AT ALL ! 

At times, I think they just don't understand the culture and the massive support upon which they rely.  Far better men before you placed their faith in in you to maintain a standard for excellence, a hallmark of our history. 

Reply #223
Mollycoddling has to end now.  Get out the Weed n' Feed and find out how many of the green shoots are fair dinkum keepers.  Our players need to get angry and stop playing frightened football.  There were times in the last quarter where it looked like some of the team didn't want to get involved in case they stuffed up.

And as for delivery into the forward line, if our forwards did a bit more than stand there with one hand in the air like the Statue of Liberty (and moving about as fast), it might give the guys upfield a sense of where to kick it!!!!
This is now the longest premiership drought in the history of the Carlton Football Club - more evidence of climate change?

Reply #224
That sums it up Lods and it’s hard to see how Gold Coast has managed three wins  :o

I thought that we had the better tactics but the advantage we gleaned from that was negated by poor delivery and some rookie mistakes from our first and second year players (Walsh excluded).

Bolton’s next task must be to lock Cameron Bruce and David Teague in a room until they have a common understanding of how the midfield and forward line will work together.

I can understand Teague's absolute frustration as forwards coach. How do you coach to the $hit coming from up the ground.