Skip to main content
Topic: AFLW - Contract Dispute (Read 8915 times) previous topic - next topic

AFLW - Contract Dispute

Rumors surfacing that Vescio is one of or the ring leader of a group of AFLW players allegedly pursuing legal advice over the terms and conditions for future AFLW seasons.

At least that is apparently how a couple of the footy media organisations want it publicly represented.

I'll leave it to you to guess which media organisations and who they employ! ::)

On a more serious note, I have to laugh when I read these AFL / AFLW pay disputes. The media and player associations carry on like they are so far removed from the next level that they may as well be supernatural extraterrestrials wearing red underwear from Krypton.

But I can tell you without fear or favour, you could wipe 750+ names from the AFL playing lists and within 12 months of full-time AFL coaching you'd barely notice them missing. The ones with opportunity are not that much better to the ones who just fail to make a list, and the perception of competitiveness is all player relative!
The Force Awakens!

Re: AFLW - Contract Dispute

Reply #1
Got no issues with the ladies kicking up a fuss about their pay. They are a semi-professional league at best currently, with next to no certainty in their lives.
How many games are they playing this year?
When is the first game?
When is the last game?
When do they have to travel?

Some people need to put leave in 12 months in advance from their jobs.
The AFL need to sort their $hit out and either pay them a handsome wage so they don't need to structure their lives around an uncertain AFLW season, or give them some more certainty a long way out.....ideally both.

As for Vescio or anyone being outspoken on the matter and who is reporting what.....WGAF.

Reply #2
I listened to the “break away” AFLW players’ lawyer on the wireless today.  She was very cagey about how many players she was representing so it’s hard to know whether it’s 5 or >50.  Either way, it’s not really clear how their log of claims differs from those players who are happy to be represented by the AFLPA.

The lawyer did say that her clients wanted a longer season and more certainty about fixturing.  It’s understandable that players want certainty so that they can juggle other commitments with the AFLW season.

It is a joke that AFLW players don’t yet know when their pre-season training is meant to start.  After such a promising start, the AFL seems to have dragged the AFLW down to mediocrity as far as industrial relations goes.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #3
I listened to the “break away” AFLW players’ lawyer on the wireless today.  She was very cagey about how many players she was representing so it’s hard to know whether it’s 5 or >50.  Either way, it’s not really clear how their log of claims differs from those players who are happy to be represented by the AFLPA.

The lawyer did say that her clients wanted a longer season and more certainty about fixturing.  It’s understandable that players want certainty so that they can juggle other commitments with the AFLW season.

It is a joke that AFLW players don’t yet know when their pre-season training is meant to start.  After such a promising start, the AFL seems to have dragged the AFLW down to mediocrity as far as industrial relations goes.

They went through all this last year, and if they don't take a stand, they will probably have to go through it all again next year.

Kudos to them for forcing the AFL to start taking them seriously.

Reply #4
I understand that the deadline for voting on the AFLW CBA was 1700 yesterday.  Daisy Pearce was quoted as saying that she hoped everyone voted in favour and that’s not going to happen.  However, it seems likely that the dissenters will be left out in the cold. 

I don’t know enough about the concerns but I hope the AFL can address them to the satisfaction of all.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #5
I understand that the deadline for voting on the AFLW CBA was 1700 yesterday.  Daisy Pearce was quoted as saying that she hoped everyone voted in favour and that’s not going to happen.  However, it seems likely that the dissenters will be left out in the cold. 

I don’t know enough about the concerns but I hope the AFL can address them to the satisfaction of all.

It only needs 75% of the vote in favour for it to go through, so if all of the above is true and it doesn't go through, then there is a significant amount of girls who are unhappy.

Reply #6
Gee the AFL media are going to town on Darcy, almost unanimously across the board they have pretty much made her the face of the AFLW pay dispute!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #7
What are Patrick Dangerfield's thoughts on this?
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #8
At least 30% of the AFLW voted against the CBA.

It seems that the players weren’t allowed to see the CBA but could only access a summary.  No wonder it wasn’t approved ... and what on earth is the AFLPA up to?

Reply #10
It seems that the players weren’t allowed to see the CBA but could only access a summary.  No wonder it wasn’t approved ... and what on earth is the AFLPA up to?

According to Paul Marsh of the AFLPA, there isn’t a CBA document as such.  All they have are notes of the negotiating points  ::)

How on earth are the AFLW players able to make an informed choice on their CBA if the CBA doesn’t exist?  Or is Marsh telling porkies?

Reply #11
My personal opinion.

We discussed this a couple of seasons back, there were clear signs that factions within the AFLW and the AFLPA were putting the $ cart before the horse. They want big dollars now, despite not really generating any income for the sport, at the moment they are a cost and part-timers.

This whole philosophical debate, the idea full-time professionalism has to come before the women's game can be profitable is bogus. Bring the sport at a high level, looking and playing professionally, and the dollars follow, not the other way around.

Unfortunately as I see it, what the AFLW girls need to accept is that those that come after them will benefit from their efforts while they may not. For those currently involved, it's both good and bad time, because they will be foundation members and legends, but they won't profit. I suppose it's no different to Bobby Skilton looking at Buddy Franklin!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #12
From what I gather, the group of players aren't going against the AFL, they are going against the AFLPA for not representing them properly.  Breaking away from the AFLPA or setting up a AFLWPA was seen as an unwanted option.

Reply #13
From what I gather, the group of players aren't going against the AFL, they are going against the AFLPA for not representing them properly.

Was Danger was too busy filming a new episode of carpool karaoke, or perhaps too busy advising the MRP on how to suspend Carlton players?
The Force Awakens!

Reply #14
At least 30% of the AFLW voted against the CBA.

The AFLPA has its hands tied a little bit.

AFLW doesnt net anywhere near the money required to truly look after the girls best interests in the same way they do the mens (which is to do with many different things including post football payments etc).

They go into bat for the girls too hard, and they risk having to rob Peter (the AFL Men) to pay Paula (the AFL women) and that is in itself a conflict of interest.

I dont see how they can hope to fight for the womens rights at the expense of the mens (which is not a hard choice if you follow business principles, of protecting the bigger generator of money like any other business).

Fundamentally the girls game needs to grow, and whilst I support them fighting for their rights, they need to be mindful that you cannot build Rome in a day.

Once the money starts to flow properly for AFL W for now, they are fighting for the future rights of the competition at the expense of today.  Having no settlement suits no one and simply cuts off their nose to spite their face in the long term, but I see why an individual would be that way inclined.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson