Skip to main content
Topic: Rd 19: Carlton vs Freo: Post Match Pain Again (Read 37552 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Rd 19: Carlton vs Freo: Post Match Pain Again

Reply #90
Murphy is totally becoming the Captain we can be proud of - his effort last night was unbelievable, loved seeing the boys give it to that pest Crowley and Murph not staging for free kicks, being aggressive and getting his dues.

The umpiring was okay - the crowd really make a fuss when it's a 50/50 not called for Freo, and pretty much every single time, the next 50/50 was paid to them.  It would be hard for the umpires to switch off from that, but they do need to.

Thought it was GREAT that they kept paying against Crowley - if Lyon and the AFL thinks it's good viewing to have kids watching this hack harass the good players physically, they are very wrong.  Sends the wrong message to juniors IMO.

WTF was Waitey doing with that stupid side kick near the end, that went straight to freo?  Could've handballed over him, and the CFC player running in for goal  >:(  Still, will be extremely disappointed if Waite leaves.

Daisy - for what he's getting paid - should do more.  Yes, I'm impressed he follows the ball, doesn't stand and watch, but his composure isn't great for someone of his experience.  Should've marked that ball in D50 easily.  Someone of Wood's experience gets let off for stupid mistakes near end of quarters, ones with Daisy's experience should not.

Overall, loved watching the effort, especially Murph and of course Juddy.  Hope he plays on next year!

Reply #91
@MickeyO
On the subject of Juddy, IMO he's re-invigorated and looks very fresh and keen as mustard. I'd be very very surprised if he doesn't saddle up for at least another year as long as injuries don't come into play.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #92
I thought the free kick situation was about 50/50, I suppose having two WA commentators is untenable but I do understand the economics of the situation.

@ProfE. I gather the radio crowd probably made it sound far worse than it was, but the simple situation was that Freo had no run and Carlton were first to the ball for almost 3 quarters of the game.

If we hadn't wasted so many shots at goal we should have been at least 5 goals up sometime early in the 3 quarter.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #93
freo didnt play good ,2 men down, we played good yet we still lost.Cannot to wait for the season to end,and get rid of players of vfl standard .

Reply #94
This is the first time for a long time where Carlton has played four quarters of football two weeks in a row. We might at last be getting an endeavor culture in the team, where we always try rather than pick and choose when we go. If we can keep having a go over the last few weeks of the season, things might be at last on the improve. What we need to do is move from an endeavor culture to a winning culture.
I think that having a ruckman making a contest has helped us, I also think that Thomas is starting to make a significant impact on the team. He is another leader and an extravert, something we are lacking. If Gibbs, Murphy, Henderson Simpson and Thomas take become the on field leaders, then Judd will then be able to concentrate on being a magnificent footballer. Commentators keep saying we don't have young players coming through, but by my reckoning we have Menzel, Buckley, Graham, Johnson, Docherty, Cripps & Casboult.
Finally, Freo had close to their best side and they played at home, we were short Menzel, Buckley, Kreuzer, Robinson, Everett and Gartlett, who when fit and up and about, would probably be in our best side. If we can maintain the effort, recruit well and have a good pre-season. next year could be exciting.

Reply #95
Last nights game was classic Carlton since the Judd/Ratten/MM era

We have lost so many games by less than 3 goals over the years where we have had so many honorable losses.

That is, it seems to me now that close enough is good enough for Carlton - to me its unacceptable. We are still heading to the bottom of the ladder

This loss is just a reflection that the list has no good finishing players (goal kicks) and too many holes in defence as a start.

That said Judd is an absolute superstar, Gibbs now goes in hard and Murphy standing up for himself - all good signs, but still we are a long way off.

When the heat was on in the last I sense an inevitability now with this list that they cave in under pressure - skill errors, lack of composure and poise under pressure.

PS Would someone please do the analysis of games lost less than 18 points between 2008 to 2014?

PSS Do not point the finger at Wood - not his fault. I was concerned that no one encouraged him after the mistake and let him burn on the field....what was Jamison doing?

Reply #96
Last nights game was classic Carlton since the Judd/Ratten/MM era

We have lost so many games by less than 3 goals over the years where we have had so many honorable losses.

That is, it seems to me now that close enough is good enough for Carlton - to me its unacceptable. We are still heading to the bottom of the ladder

I don't think we will head to the bottom of the ladder, but your post has some significant merit.

I've played a number of sports to high levels and I've seen the type of behavior you detect in Carlton from many sports-people. It is like they have proved to themselves that they can compete at the highest level, against the best the sport has to offer, and they like participating at the high end. But at crunch time they are not prepared to do what they need to do to get across the line, to win the championship! That attitude makes a huge difference in the eventual outcome.

You can see a similar thing going on right now with Tiger Woods. He use to want to win every tournament that he played in, hit every shot perfect never make an error. Now Tiger's work ethic has gone, he is more worried about things that annoy him than doing the hard stuff that will improve or repair his game!

In AFL, it's the difference between a Hodge, Brown or Selwood and their output and attitude from game one, versus a player like Cotchin, Riewoldt or Pavlich. As they approach the end of their careers blokes like Cotchin, Riewoldt and Pavlich get super serious, but often it happens for them too late and the careers fritter away devoid of success!

Johnno Brown hated losing a single contest like there was no tomorrow, we have blokes who appear to give up like there is a "next time!"

Lets hope it's not too late for the likes of Gibbs and Murphy! ;)
The Force Awakens!

Reply #97
I can see why Mick was slow to bring McLean on because as soon as he did the tide turned. Like someone has already posted Curnow, Carrazzo, Ellard and McLean can't play in the same side.
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #98
Last night game was a respectable loss,BUT like richo said on sen FOOLS GOLD and i totally agree . 

Reply #99
Last night game was a respectable loss,BUT like richo said on sen FOOLS GOLD and i totally agree .

Agree with what?
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #100
I can see why Mick was slow to bring McLean on because as soon as he did the tide turned. Like someone has already posted Curnow, Carrazzo, Ellard and McLean can't play in the same side.

In fact I'd prefer if Carrazzo, Ellard, nor McLean played in any CFC side from now on. Curnow's OK - does a good job in a negating tagger/run with  role, but will not actually win games for us. Just helps to stop the opposition from winning.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #101

Agree with what?

That we shouldn't read too much into the result? Freo weren't traveling well so it's a fair point if you see us as a finals side.

Reply #102
Carlton lose to bottom sides = we are crap, our coach is crap.
Carlton are competitive with top sides = they played crap, our coach is still crap.

2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #103
Carlton are competitive with top sides = they played crap, our coach is still crap.

Bit paranoid there MBB. Not sure where the coach is mentioned or how what is being said goes against what you have been arguing - that our side is no good.

Reply #104

In fairness this was something aimed at the previous coach.  We always beat sides when they had an off day under Ratten according to the masses, and we won because the players were brilliant in spite of the coach back then.  When we failed to win, the coach was at fault then too.

At least its consistent.

At the end of the day, I cant speak historically, nor am I going to state that the coach was at fault nor the players.  All I can look at is that we squandered far too many opportunities to score, and snatched defeat from the Jaws of victory and it happened largely in the second quarter with our lack of scoreboard pressure.  We won that quarter all over the ground except on the scoreboard, and Freo were really struggling to get out and score, yet they managed to get forward at one point and pinch a goal, whilst we didnt register a major even though we had quite a few scoring shots.

I have learned one thing this season.  Even playing defensive football, we get scored against FAR too easily, and when we attack we dont score as often as we should.  Yes, the stats will point to our scoring efficiency, but that tells me about how we defend more often than we attack rather than anything else, and usually because we are being beaten.  Last night bucked the trend, and we still lost.  Shanked kicks being the major reason.

"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson