Skip to main content
Topic: Rd 1 Carlton vs Richmond Post Game Prognostications (Read 48351 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Rd 1 Carlton vs Richmond Post Game Prognostications

Reply #90
Casboult is the best we've got but while that remains the case we won't be playing finals.
Do any Carlton supporters honestly believe he'd get a game in a top four team?

A top 4 team would get his kicking sorted once and for all, and he'd be a great addition.

Reply #91
Casboult is the best we've got but while that remains the case we won't be playing finals.

On tonight's performance ABSOLUTELY.

You can't judge a game only on shots at goal.

Reply #92

Yes.  With the possible exception of Sydney, he'd be a walk up start in any team.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #93
Cripps and Murphy will be be much better for the run. Cripps is just awesome. The player who can have 2 tagging him but still get the clearance.

At one point in the 1st or 2nd he was wresting with 4 Richmond players at once - took no crap, no backward steps, ended up with a ripped jersey. Oh, and did I mention his ball usage ?

He is just awesome.

Reply #94
Buckley was poor offensively tonight but only a fool would write him off on one game.
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #95

Freo wanted him Bad in the offseason. Would be lining up FF on Saturday for them.

Probably for the Hawks too
"We are a club in a hurry"

#united #reset

Reply #96
I enjoyed the game.  Tonight's game was a lot more exciting than a lot of the footy last year.  The ball was moving a lot more and congestion wasn't such an issue.

Weitering is obviously going to be a star.  Amazing composure for a 1st gamer.  Great to see Kreuzer back to his best.  Hope his foot problems are a thing of the past, touch wood.  Our centresquare mids are as good as any.  How good can Cripps get?  Kerridge has proved that the trade for Menzel will end up in our favour.  Boekhurst is coming on now he's used to the pace of AFL footy.  Fair chance he'll end up better than Laverde.  Wright and Lamb were promising.

I had my money on Carlton at the +27.5 point line, so The season is off to a good start.

Reply #97
Buckley was poor offensively tonight but only a fool would write him off on one game.

Those still clinging to ghosts of coaches past?
"We are a club in a hurry"

#united #reset

Reply #98
How refreshing is it to have a coach who is articulate, on message and deals with the media politely but with authority?
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #99
on the one hand I'm a little gutted, the game was there to be won, but too many silly errors and bad misses for goal.

But on the other I'm pretty damn happy, it is nice to actually feel some passion again after pretty much just going through the motions the last couple of years.

Reply #100
ok, so I'm never happy to lose, but I saw SOMETHING tonight. Green shoots? Damn right. Full marks for endeavour and intensity - was always going to drop off towards the end against a more seasoned opponent.  Some fantastic slick ball movement. Definitely a semblance of a game plan emerging.

Just a couple of errors and lapses in judgement which we're all used to and frustrated by. White's two clangers in 2 passages of play. Kerridge's shanked kick which robbed us of a certain goal and earned one for them on the rebound.  I have confidence that Bolts will limit these frustrations but he won't eliminate them completely and that's what's going to continue to cost us in these close ones.
Keyboard warrior #24601

Reply #101
How refreshing is it to have a coach who is articulate, on message and deals with the media politely but with authority?

Amen
2024... Moir of the same to come

Reply #102
Some observations after watching the game at the aka at tonight:
1. The Carlton crowd found their voice for the first time in ages in the third quarter and it was beautiful. Walker's 1 arm mark got a huge roar in particular. Shame we were silenced soon after.
2. We have some big structural problems in our set up. Our defenders especially guard the spaces too much and give their opponents far too much room to move. Jamison, Rowe and Weitering got caught out too easily if Richmond could move the ball quickly and all three (but especially Rowe) go too far up the ground.
3. Th forwards suffer similar problems with nobody there when needed. We also went way too short at times. We looked more threatening when Casboult, Everitt and Phillips were forward. Given we had a small forward line though you would think they'd be better at crumbing the loose ball but there were far too many occasions were it just trickled to a Richmond player behind a pack.
4. We looked so much better when we moved the ball through the middle of the ground.
5. We seemed to rotate our tall players far more than Richmond who rotated their mids instead. Casboult, Kreuzer and Everitt seemed to go off a lot more than Riewoldt and Vickery. Might explain why their kids seems fresher in the final term.
6. Cripps was an unstoppable beast at the stoppages until he tired in the final term. Boeky ran hard for 3 quarters and looked good too, until he also slowed up in the fourth. Covered a lot of ground until then though. Simpsons fought hard but too often he somehow got left manning up on Riewoldt or Vickery. My only real negative report on a player was for Tuohy - I really don't think he can keep playing in the backline as he has no defensive game.

And finally, Hampson's goal kicking was even worse than Casboult. Let's hope the big fella can get it together again becaus his marking looked good.

Reply #103
Csboult has had this kicking problem for the majority of his career, I do not know of any bone-fide key forward who would go for the checkside from 30m out in such a tight match and cock it up so badly as well.

This shows to me that he just has no confidence in his kicking abilities plus he cannot follow the simple instructions given to him by Sav Rocca last year.

Overall, we have a huge beast with incredible marking skills who cannot kick to save himself or the team when the game is on the line.

He's now 26yo and the question has to be asked, how much longer do you persist with him ?? We were approached regarding a trade a year or two back and we should of taken it with open arms. With games like tonight, his overall trade value will have dropped significantly.

Gee, Jones & Casboult in the key forward posts, makes me want to come up with an invention that adds 5-6 years experience to Harry McKay now.

Oh well, we have some serious deficiencies on the list that will be addressed over time, just have to "stick fat" with the players we have in 2016 and then review it all at the end of the season.
"The Other Teams Can Rot In Hell"

Reply #104
Casboult played a fantastic game. If you can't see that you weren't watching. Such an important role in the team.

Missed some shots he'd like to have kicked but kicked 24 - 12 last year. He'll come good. Don't panic.