Skip to main content
Topic: Rd 17 : Pre Game polite and refined discourse - Blues v Eagles (Read 27107 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Rd 17 : Pre Game polite and refined discourse - Blues v Eagles

Reply #105
Betts wanted to go home and Adelaide paid him handsomely to do so, he won't be playing when we are competitive again so it was no long term loss.
Thomas was a good recruit but we probably paid overs in dollar terms, he was suspect with injury at the time and I doubt that any other club would have paid what we did, at least we didn't trade anything of value for him I guess.
The critical mistake was losing Jacobs, but our management of the time preferred both Warnock and Hampson to him so his wanting out shouldn't have come as any surprise.
We've made some shocking list management decisions over the journey, which combined with our woeful recruiting has left us where we are today.
Our story in one very accurate sentence.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #106
We didn't "probably" pay overs for Daisy - we definitely did. His output has been nowhere near what we'd hoped. I'll be watching very closely to see what the club does with him once his contract ends.

EDIT : we don't have the depth to take risks on injury prone players.

Reply #107
We didn't "probably" pay overs for Daisy - we definitely did. His output has been nowhere near what we'd hoped. I'll be watching very closely to see what the club does with him once his contract ends.
I would think even Daisy would agree that the coin he was signed to (and I repeat, what I have been told is its not what is reported in the media) will not be repeated in his next contract if they offer him one. I will be more interested to see what Daisy does come contract time. How committed is he to Carlton? Will he take a significant hair cut to remain part of the group or will he shop himself around for $$$? Will he join his mate Heaffy at GWS for $$$? It will be very interesting.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th

Reply #108
I would think even Daisy would agree that the coin he was signed to (and I repeat, what I have been told is its not what is reported in the media) will not be repeated in his next contract if they offer him one. I will be more interested to see what Daisy does come contract time. How committed is he to Carlton? Will he take a significant hair cut to remain part of the group or will he shop himself around for $$$? Will he join his mate Heaffy at GWS for $$$? It will be very interesting.

I've said it before - I have no issue with Daisy per se, but his future is basically making up the numbers. If we do offer him another contract, it will surely be on a year by year basis, and on a much reduced wage. I can't see any other club being interested, except as a depth player.

Reply #109
I've said it before - I have no issue with Daisy per se, but his future is basically making up the numbers. If we do offer him another contract, it will surely be on a year by year basis, and on a much reduced wage. I can't see any other club being interested, except as a depth player.
Agree
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th

Reply #110

I agree but isn't there a thread on "what were they thinking when they signed Daisy?"

It looks like it is going to be a good day for the footy and I'm revising the number of layers I will wear  :)
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #111
The MCG is magnificent in the sunshine.  The usual swirling breeze is evident but it should be good day for footy.

It's a pity there aren't more people here.

The hovercraft has just made an appearance.  I want one!
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #112
Joe Biden is on the ground, accompanied by some scary dudes  :)

Reply #113

EDIT : we don't have the depth to take risks on injury prone players.

Signing Thomas wasn't a mistake in itself, the dollars were but we've made far worse mistakes in recent times.
As I said earlier, losing Jacobs was a far bigger error and I could list at least half a dozen others over the last four or five years, in Daisy's case at least it only comes down to money.
How is pick 7 for Jaksch, Whiley and Boekhorst looking?
The only thing in this world worth more than a hill of beans is the Carlton Football Club.

Reply #114
Joe Biden is on the ground, accompanied by some scary dudes  :)
Murph presented him with a no 9 Blues jumper.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th

Reply #115
Maybe we could recruit a couple from the Secret Service  8)