Skip to main content
Topic: Judd apparently has hand up for finals (Read 16415 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Judd apparently has hand up for finals

Reply #30
A couple of the main reasons we lost that game .....

We can all bleat on about changes that should have been made, in game strategy etc but very simply we lost because we didn't KICK STRAIGHT.

Q1 - 9 POINTS (3 GOALS)
Q3 - 8 POINTS (4 GOALS)
Q4 - 4 POINTS (0 GOALS)

On a dry, pretty windless night that is simply inexcusable for an elite professional football team.

Absolutely agree FB. Whatever anyone says about how we played and what we and didn't do, and who did this and didn't do that, the bottom line was that we were creating plenty of inside 50s and goal-scoring opportunities. That game should have been in our keeping by 3/4 time - EASILY! That's why it was so sickening. EOS.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #31
True but still disappointing we only managed to create 4 chances in the entire last quarter when the scum put their foot down.
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #32
Absolutely agree FB. Whatever anyone says about how we played and what we and didn't do, and who did this and didn't do that, the bottom line was that we were creating plenty of inside 50s and goal-scoring opportunities.

I absolutely agree @Cookie, but I also see the connection between all those inside F50s and the failing talls.

In many cases the entries were pretty swift and long kicking, some over the back of the EFC defense, yet Casboult didn't hit the scoreboard at all and Hendo only kicked 1:2=8

For me that is not a forward line you that you can use to justify risking a 30 year like Judd returning from a medial ligament. That forward line is going nowhere in the finals. Look at the four matches leading up to Saturday, scores against EFC 143, 133, 120, 115 and then Carlton 76. It says quite a lot!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #33
Absolutely agree FB. Whatever anyone says about how we played and what we and didn't do, and who did this and didn't do that, the bottom line was that we were creating plenty of inside 50s and goal-scoring opportunities.

I absolutely agree @Cookie, but I also see the connection between all those inside F50s and the failing talls.

In many cases the entries were pretty swift and long kicking, some over the back of the EFC defense, yet Casboult didn't hit the scoreboard at all and Hendo only kicked 1:2=8

For me that is not a forward line you that you can use to justify risking a 30 year like Judd returning from a medial ligament. That forward line is going nowhere in the finals. Look at the four matches leading up to Saturday, scores against EFC 143, 133, 120, 115 and then Carlton 76. It says quite a lot!

But if 9.22 was 18.13 (for example) - voila 121 points!
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #34
@FB77
Voila indeed mate - simple really eh?
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #35

True, but how many of those 22 behinds were from blokes having pot shots from distance or ridiculous angles. And you can add to that a few OOBs as well, not just 22 behinds, some came from Hendo or Meat leading deep into a pocket, FFS Betts and other smalls can do that!

For me that is a symptom of a side that has lost all faith in the ability of tall forwards to take a mark or bring the ball to ground.

Even from my spud league playing days, the biggest demoralizing thing that could happen was to fight your guts out at midfield stoppages only to watch your tall forward fail to compete and the ball sail back over your head. You at least wanted it locked in, or brought to ground if no mark was possible. But watching EFC punch the ball directly to a team mate like a training drill, or having various 3rd men drop across the pack unopposed, is just demoralising.

If your only gig is busting packs and clunking marks you better do it so regularly it becomes monotonous!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #36
Meat would've hit the scoreboard if Robbo didnt try and take MOTY in the goal square  ::)
Why did the Carlton FC fall? So they could learn to pick themselves up.

Reply #37
Meat would've hit the scoreboard if Robbo didnt try and take MOTY in the goal square  ::)

Robbo was even more brain dead than usual last Saturday.
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #38

True, but how many of those 22 behinds were from blokes having pot shots from distance or ridiculous angles. 

I remember Betts, Gibbs and Yarran missing a few sodas for starters. That's just in the last quarter.
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #39

True, but how many of those 22 behinds were from blokes having pot shots from distance or ridiculous angles. 

I remember Betts, Gibbs and Yarran missing a few sodas for starters. That's just in the last quarter.

No question about that, but when the scoreboard already says 9-18 the disease has well and truly set in.

There would not be a club in the country to reject the number of deep forward opportunities we presented on Saturday, and there wouldn't be a club that accepted the result yet we have posters here saying they were "good!"

And as a functional forward line possibly entering finals, that is NBG, and a bloke like Judd entering possibly his last season is not worth the risk during a final series we have little chance to progress in.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #40
a bloke like Judd entering possibly his last season is not worth the risk during a final series we have little chance to progress in.

If Judd can get on the park he's going to play - even at 25%. He's too driven and the club will allow it IMO.

Reply #41
Additionally, Judd may look at things and say he's most likely giving it up next year and there is a chance things could go backwards and we miss finals again. This might be his last shot, 80k at the MCG ...

Given all that, we'll almost certainly lose against PA.

Reply #42
If Judd can get on the park he's going to play - even at 25%. He's too driven and the club will allow it IMO.

I am not so sure, we have a couple of long term injury concerns that to me means risking a bloke for a good percentage of next season, or pre-season, might not make sense for one maybe two finals matches at best.

Sure they think they can win, and they are driven, but in reality they are not in the hunt for 2013.

Add to that Scotland is likely to retire, Carrazzo is injury plagued and Simpson and McLean will be another year older. We are quickly losing the old wiser heads, do we really want Judd doing a full medial ligament and missing possibly his last pre-season or some of the 2014 season proper?

We love him for putting his hand up, put some perspective please!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #43

True, but how many of those 22 behinds were from blokes having pot shots from distance or ridiculous angles. And you can add to that a few OOBs as well, not just 22 behinds, some came from Hendo or Meat leading deep into a pocket, FFS Betts and other smalls can do that!

For me that is a symptom of a side that has lost all faith in the ability of tall forwards to take a mark or bring the ball to ground.

Even from my spud league playing days, the biggest demoralizing thing that could happen was to fight your guts out at midfield stoppages only to watch your tall forward fail to compete and the ball sail back over your head. You at least wanted it locked in, or brought to ground if no mark was possible. But watching EFC punch the ball directly to a team mate like a training drill, or having various 3rd men drop across the pack unopposed, is just demoralising.

If your only gig is busting packs and clunking marks you better do it so regularly it becomes monotonous!

So Leading, re-leading, and then leading again, just to have the ball kicked to you when you are two on one is a walk in the park is it?

Dead set taking the proverbial you are, and no wonder our side is in trouble.

No wonder they converted so poorly when its such hard work to get the ball from half back to the half forward line.  I saw Lachie run from wing to wing and back again with the ball not even getting into his vicinity in the second quarter and up around the 50 metre line.

"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #44
For every double or triple lead there was a fast break from the midfield, wing or kick out that went in quickly and came back out just as quickly.

We are too soft on what is happening in our F50, we have accepted mediocrity too long.

Early in the season we made a specific emphasis of keeping the ball in, we looked competitive despite a series of narrow losses but the games was good to watch and we looked to be progressing. As the season has dragged on we have become less and less effective, we have looked lethargic and disinterested and like we are going back to our old ways.

It is not our mids or HBs that are the primarily problem. In fact if not for players like Scotland, Tuohy, Walker and Simpson we would be getting reamed week in week out!

And I am full of praise for Hendo, but he was on his Pat Malone on Saturday night as a tall. EFC know Meat is worthless marking on the wing, they let him do it in the first game and he did it again this game. He had no respect from them and no presence inside F50, and he won't get any from other top clubs. Add to that Warnock as our primary ruck at 206cm is ferking worthless outside of the center circle. Judd is not worth the risk for one weak attempt at finals for that bunch.
The Force Awakens!