Skip to main content
Topic: 2017 Round 6: Pre game premonitions: Carlton vs Sydney (Read 37637 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: 2017 Round 6: Pre game premonitions: Carlton vs Sydney

Reply #15
Welcome to AFL son, its a brutal game. Why is it our kids all need a rest and kids from other sides just soldier on? They will rest older blokes to preserve their longevity (ie Daisy and Kruze) but the kids will be asked to dig deep and endure and I believe they will respond.
Amen
2024... Moir of the same to come

Reply #16
But that's just a guess...
I could guess some will make it and others won't...others that properly managed 'would' make it, because one size doesn't fit all and development is different for everyone.

Other sides have the advantage of support.
Compare Marc Murphy's early years and the support around him to someone like Joel Selwood's and the support around him.
Murphy cops a bit of criticism but I reckon we crucified him in his early years and it's a credit to him that he turned out the player he has.

Putting out a side like we did last night was dumb in my opinion.
I'm wondering what Bolton actually thought of the result .I suspect he was looking for a young side showing a lot of enthusiasm and effort. What he got was a debacle.

Agree Lods. You could say the same about Gibbs and Krooz as well. No leadership and no support in their early years.

Reply #17

Putting out a side like we did last night was dumb in my opinion.
I'm wondering what Bolton actually thought of the result .I suspect he was looking for a young side showing a lot of enthusiasm and effort. What he got was a debacle.

I agree. Playing 6 first year players in the team is not a great idea.

If we keep doing that we will continue to get thrashed. Why did we recruit players like Palmer and Smedts if we are not going to play them?
Play 3 of the new kids together and rotate them around a bit.
Weitering needs to go back to defence too. He doesn't look confident in the forward line. Plus the delivery to him is poor. We'll ruin him if we expect too much too soon.
Maybe try Marchbank forward or bring on Jones or Jaksch.

Getting thrashed week in week out is not good for the club either. If we are looking to get players from other clubs here we'll only get the dregs.
Good players wont want to come to a basket case club.
Sponsors and members will drop off too. Young kids too will switch to supporting the more successful clubs.

The winging has already started here and other forums.

From a personal side losing games doesn't worry me as long as it helps the development.
But it is worrying a lot of others.
I spent most of my money on Women and grog.
The rest I just wasted.

Reply #18
As others have said, simply too many young blokes on the park at once.....6 first years players someone said - and another batch of 2nd year players.

Smedts and Palmer should be in the 22 week in, week out and the young players rotated through with some sort of system.

Polson. Had he really been tearing it up in the 2s? Not from the reports I've read. Whereas Kerridge gets 40 possies and gets overlooked - what message does that send?

Even Boekhurst (on recent form) should have played before Polson....

All that aside, i can't fathom why we became some wary about moving the ball forward and taking the game on....our ball movement was simply abysmal - and that's not a function of youth.

Phillips looked unready and quite uncoordinated - not surprising given his lack of game time since returning from injury...
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #19
Cookie - why does Weitering and Cripps need a rest. Its only round 5!

Ive noticed ately as soon as one of our more senior players have a quiet game the word 'injured' or 'needs a rest' is instantly raised. Sometimes fit and healthy footballers don't play to their ability. Happens every week.

Weitering is a kid who had a poor game - Ball delivery to him was terrible so life was made very hard for a player with only one year under his belt.

As for Cripps I thought he was close to his best last night - especially when you consider we were without a decent ruckman and still managed over 35 mostly inside touches. He will never be that explosive type so regardless of his fitness level you wont see him tearing away from a contested situation - he is bloody good at his trade but he is a bit one dimensional so until we get mids in or kids developed to do the outside running I think his flaws will be highlighted more. He always looks stuffed - maybe cause he cops more inside contact then any other blues player.

I do agree that apart from Kreuzer any senior replacements in this week will not be in our long term plans but still I think Bolts will need to bring some more experience in this week -Swans are a very seasoned and tough outfit and Fisher/Polsen types just don't look to have the bodies at this early stage to go with them.

Shawny, Weitering was limping around and looked hardly ably to make ground at one stage last night - did not look anywhere near 100% to me.

Cripps only just scraped in for the first game and I don't think is anywhere near 100% yet either. He has to take a lot of heat on the front line of our engine room, especially without Kreuz there  - we will break him if we are not careful.

We could rest others but these two are extremely  valuable assets that we need to take care with and not let them get prematurely banged up - just my opinion.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #20
Big word on social media Gibbs has a suspected broken thumb and Murphy had a torn meniscus in his knee.

Murphy was a no show at a post match function.

Geez imagine fronting up next week against the Swans without those 2..... 

Reply #21
Welcome to AFL son, its a brutal game. Why is it our kids all need a rest and kids from other sides just soldier on? They will rest older blokes to preserve their longevity (ie Daisy and Kruze) but the kids will be asked to dig deep and endure and I believe they will respond.

As we are playing alot of kids, unlike other sides, so they are taking more responsibility. To give them a let up every so often means they are both fresher, able to play better footy and as well they get to round 23 in good shape rather than round 15. It's being proactive.

Reply #22
Social media saying Murphy seen in a knee brace and hobbling. 

Not good.

Reply #24
Social media saying Murphy seen in a knee brace and hobbling. 

Not good.
I could see it when he was running last night, he was favouring a leg badly and couldnt catch nor breakaway from anyone. He wasnt right for alot of the game.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #25
As others have said, simply too many young blokes on the park at once.....6 first years players someone said - and another batch of 2nd year players.

Smedts and Palmer should be in the 22 week in, week out and the young players rotated through with some sort of system.

Polson. Had he really been tearing it up in the 2s? Not from the reports I've read. Whereas Kerridge gets 40 possies and gets overlooked - what message does that send?

Even Boekhurst (on recent form) should have played before Polson....

All that aside, i can't fathom why we became some wary about moving the ball forward and taking the game on....our ball movement was simply abysmal - and that's not a function of youth.

Phillips looked unready and quite uncoordinated - not surprising given his lack of game time since returning from injury...

Agree...I'm all for playing kids and giving them preference but there has to be balance.....Smedts, Palmer, Kerridge, Jones, and Jaksch etc all have to play their part and fill some gaps...
Cripps and Weitering also need a chop out, we forget they are still kids allbeit mature ones.....

Reply #26
Agree...I'm all for playing kids and giving them preference but there has to be balance.....Smedts, Palmer, Kerridge, Jones, and Jaksch etc all have to play their part and fill some gaps...
Cripps and Weitering also need a chop out, we forget they are still kids allbeit mature ones.....

Good to give them all a run but we need a couple of bigger bodies to take the heat. It's was the practical example of the need to have experience about as you rebuild.

Reply #27
This is why some of us were saying don't go too youthful.

They end up being lambs to the slaughter.

Port hit hard last night.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #28
Silvagni for McCreadie: give him a rest and have another mature body on standby if Buddy gets off the lease. 
Jones for Weitering: give him a rest,  he's getting beaten up. Jones can be the ruck pinch hitter.
Cunningham for Murphy if unfit
Graham for Pickett: deserves a recall.

Reply #29
Silvagni for McCreadie: give him a rest and have another mature body on standby if Buddy gets off the lease. 
Jones for Weitering: give him a rest,  he's getting beaten up. Jones can be the ruck pinch hitter.
Cunningham for Murphy if unfit
Graham for Pickett: deserves a recall.

Silvagni would need promoting but its not a bad call...McCreadie looked a bit lost vs GC and Port..
Cuningham for Murphy seems fair enough..
I thought Smedts was better than most but Murphy and Pickett are not players he would replace in terms of being like for like......
Not convinced about Graham especially on the bigger grounds but he probably has consistent form in the NB's to justify being picked...
Jones for Weitering...maybe, but I dont see Bolton resting him..
Daisy will probably come back so that might stuff it up for Graham or Cuningham being recalled...