Skip to main content
Topic: 2017 Round 6: Pre game premonitions: Carlton vs Sydney (Read 38239 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: 2017 Round 6: Pre game premonitions: Carlton vs Sydney

Reply #90
He drops so many marks he almost grabs. And thats in the 2's. Yes that will come with experience but leave him in the 2's for now imo

Wasn't dropping many last week. He took 10.

Reply #91
McKay had 10km up by 3/4 time last week. Tank is no issue. Like to run and get up the ground.

It takes an hour or so to jog 10kms. Constant running to present as a target on multiple leads requires a big tank. This kid can be our version of Joe Daniher but he will need to be able to run to our defensive end to present an outlet target and then work forward to present as a attacking target. This will come with time. Stick him in now and all we have is a lightweight marking target up forward.

Reply #92
I hope he ends up a lot better than that other bloke.
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #93
I hope he ends up a lot better than that other bloke.
The other bloke played OK today, but it's hard to take him seriously with that moustache and horrible jumper.
The Ox is slow but I'm running out of patience.

Reply #94
I'm tipping Collingwood will be our next win, the game after this one.

Keep playing the kids, but give any sore or injured players a rest, the kids will get a real taste of what it is to play tough AFL footy against the Swannies.
Mens sana in corpore sano - A healthy mind in a healthy body.

Navy, it's not just a color, it's an attitude !!!

Reply #95
Smashing kids and wearing out senior players is a recipie for disaster.
You can fool some of the people some of the time.......................................

Reply #96
Wasn't dropping many last week. He took 10.

Watching the game it was clear he was up against a bunch of skinny defenders, his work rate was great but he must have dropped two for every mark he took. The NB Mids smashed Willi, he won't get that many opportunities at AFL level, and the hard running won't get him the space he needs for easier marks.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #97
It takes an hour or so to jog 10kms. Constant running to present as a target on multiple leads requires a big tank. This kid can be our version of Joe Daniher but he will need to be able to run to our defensive end to present an outlet target and then work forward to present as a attacking target. This will come with time. Stick him in now and all we have is a lightweight marking target up forward.

The bloke probably weighs in at near on 100kg.

Light weight?

I can't see any valid reason why he's not cherry ripe for senior selection.

Swans struggle for height down back too....
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #98
Smashing kids and wearing out senior players is a recipie for disaster.

This

Not to mention kids learn nothing from senior games where they don't get their hands on the footy.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #99
This

Not to mention kids learn nothing from senior games where they don't get their hands on the footy.
So why is it that many players dominate in the VFL and then fail, or leave alot to be desired, at AFL level?
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #100
So why is it that many players dominate in the VFL and then fail, or leave alot to be desired, at AFL level?

AFL is a step up that is clear, not everybody is going to make it which is self-evident.

Nobody is claiming they shouldn't be tried at AFL level, but those of us who are skeptical about our current strategy are basically arguing it has to be done in a manageable way. At the moment it appears chaotic.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #101
Does anyone give us any sort of chance in this one?

Maybe I'm delusional but I reckon this one might be closer then many think provided Kreuzer and Murphy both are fit and play.

We struggle against the quicker teams and on quicker grounds.  Swans are not quick and at the G, we seem to play our most consistent footy. Pushed them last time and with no Mitchell and out of form cant see why we wont this time.

Footy performances especially in young teams is a week by week proposition so ive moved on from last weeks dismal display - if we can play to the level we did against Melb we will push them.

For the young players and for supporters confidence sake, I don't want another blowout and I'm not expecting one.   

Reply #102
Watching the game it was clear he was up against a bunch of skinny defenders, his work rate was great but he must have dropped two for every mark he took. The NB Mids smashed Willi, he won't get that many opportunities at AFL level, and the hard running won't get him the space he needs for easier marks.

What, he dropped 20 marks?

They're a stand alone team and defending premiers, not a team full of skinny draftees.

Reply #103
This

Nothing wrong with giving him a couple of runs though. In his 2nd year and hasn't played yet so we're not exactly smashing him.

Reply #104
What, he dropped 20 marks?

They're a stand alone team and defending premiers, not a team full of skinny draftees.

Yes, he grounded a lot of ball but eh good news is he gets to the contest, a lot of contests. How many marking attempts did Casboult have at the weekend for his 5 marks, KPP AFL players rarely do better than 50%.

Williamstown are past premiers off the back of a dominant midfield Laj, not a dominant defense. Williamstown's defense is relatively lightweight compared to AFL defenders/forwards, their list and game plan is built around a running game, and you don't have to be a kid to be a lightweight.

Ayce Cordy is clearly their biggest / bulkiest body, and Meese rucked all day although he's smaller than Sam Rowe. They have about ten players over 190cm, but only four of those talls weigh more than 90kg and they are all ruckmen, many of Williamstown's talls are closer to 85kg than 90kg.

For this reason that game was not a good measure of McKay, but we should be very very pleased with his aerobic capacity and work rate.

The bloke who is not getting enough media/blogger credit for last weekend is Jones. His stats were ordinary, but his 2nd efforts effectively nullified Willamstown's midfield and brought the likes of Graham, Boekhorst and Kerridge into the game. I'd love to see him roaming the F50 with that sort of effort, as long as the likes of Pickett, SPS, Murphy and Wright get busy crumbing front and square.
The Force Awakens!