Skip to main content
Topic: 2017 Rd 8: After Game Analysis: Carlton vs St Kilda (Read 27739 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: 2017 Rd 8: After Game Analysis: Carlton vs St Kilda

Reply #15
Midfield got swamped by numbers in the end, and other than 2-3 more mids for the rotation we need a CHF target badly.  Very very badly.

We don't have the forward line to kick a winning score based on 35 or so F5o entries, so kudos to the defensive efforts to keep us within striking distance for most of the game.

Really worried about Weiters long term, we're killing him playing him up forward when he is so obviously hurting.

Would mind him going back to replace White. White's generally been reasonable this year but you can't play them all.

Bring in two of McKay, Jaksch, Kerr, Jones to play the key positions and leave Levi to focus on rucking with Kreuzer.

Reply #16
Seems to me we need a key forward - McKay, Jones or Jaksch need to come in

Weiters to replace White to add some polish and class to an already unbelievable good defence.

personally : out Fisher, White - in: Cunners, Jones/McKay

Reply #17
Not sure why the focus on Fisher? Cripps screwed up, White a big blunder, ditto Daisy.

Then there's the multitude of blatant, deliberate throw the Sainte got away with....almost bizarre.
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #18
Seems to me we need a key forward - McKay, Jones or Jaksch need to come in

Weiters to replace White to add some polish and class to an already unbelievable good defence.

personally : out Fisher, White - in: Cunners, Jones/McKay

Bring in two key forwards and let Casboult just ruck. He and Kreuzer are getting plenty of it around the ground this year, even if Levi did have a shocker today. They are a good combo.

Reply #19
I must admit in that first quarter i was a little worried that it was going to be a blowout. But to the boys credit they fought back into the game and at one stage we even had the lead for a couple minutes.

Lets face it, we didn't have our best day on the park, Doc and Charlie I thought were terrific though. In the past we would have been smashed by 10 goals. Personally, what speaks volumes for me is that even though we didn't have a great day, we only went down by 19 points. We didn't lose any confidence with our game plan and our lads are much better for the experience. I cant remember anytime that they dropped their heads and gave up.

With our development and list management it wont be long before we pass the Aints. Our list shows growth every week and I'm lovin it.

M.

SOS - "I hated losing"

Reply #20
We did okay considering we struggled to get it inside 50.   We were smashed in the middle.

we did do ok today considering... I meant overall this year we can't score....... on average we kick 11 goals a game... it's not enough.

Da Di Da Di Dar..Da Di Da Di Dar..Da Di Da Di Da Di Darrr ...Darrr Darr.. We are the NAVY BLUES !!

Reply #21
I must admit in that first quarter i was a little worried that it was going to be a blowout. But to the boys credit they fought back into the game and at one stage we even had the lead for a couple minutes.

Lets face it, we didn't have our best day on the park, Doc and Charlie I thought were terrific though. In the past we would have been smashed by 10 goals. Personally, what speaks volumes for me is that even though we didn't have a great day, we only went down by 19 points. We didn't lose any confidence with our game plan and our lads are much better for the experience. I cant remember anytime that they dropped their heads and gave up.

With our development and list management it wont be long before we pass the Aints. Our list shows growth every week and I'm lovin it.

M.

Very accurate summary. Was at the game just needed more polish at certain stages but can't be critical.

Not happy with losing but love he direction the club is going.

So much to look forward to.

Reply #22
Bring in two key forwards and let Casboult just ruck. He and Kreuzer are getting plenty of it around the ground this year, even if Levi did have a shocker today. They are a good combo.

plenty did not much today....
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #23
SOJ works very hard. Runs his arse off.

Reply #24
we did do ok today considering... I meant overall this year we can't score....... on average we kick 11 goals a game... it's not enough.

We'll get more goals from Silvagni and Curnow as they improve but we badly lack a genuine key forward and one or two goal sneaks, Weitering is a very good footballer but he's not a natural forward.
We need to draft for one or buy one ready made, there's no certainty that McKay will measure up and Casboult, Jones and Jaksch aren't going to cut it if we want to go deep into the finals.
The only thing in this world worth more than a hill of beans is the Carlton Football Club.

Reply #25
plenty did not much today....

Kreuzer did, Levi had his worst game of the year. But generally through the season thus far they both have done well around the ground, especially Kreuzer.

Reply #26
We'll get more goals from Silvagni and Curnow as they improve but we badly lack a genuine key forward and one or two goal sneaks, Weitering is a very good footballer but he's not a natural forward.
We need to draft for one or buy one ready made, there's no certainty that McKay will measure up and Casboult, Jones and Jaksch aren't going to cut it if we want to go deep into the finals.

Reckon McKay and Kerr will have, at least IMHO, very good careers for us. I'm not against having them both in next week. Both have been terrific in the VFL.

Casboult and Jones have different roles these days, neither as true key forwards. Jones could easily come in and play Levi's role in the ruck, take marks and get touches around the ground, as well as bash some bodies. Casboult's had a good year, bar today, and won't be pushed out, but he wouldn't want a few bad ones though.

Reply #27
Saints have been playing some of the hottest football in the competition recently so to take it up to them and lead through the last qtr shows we have progressed.

Some blunders in front of goals and well as some baffling umpiring stopped the game being a cliff hanger late.
I dont think their brand will get them very far in September.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #28

Wonder what out first pick this year is going to be as there are good young forwards in this years draft. I think this team needs one ready to go now 21-25 years old no idea who is available and who would be happy to play for us. McKay is a talent his skills are good can take a good mark but needs kilos on his body to go into beast mode he needs games even for "education".