Skip to main content
Topic: 2017 Rd 8: After Game Analysis: Carlton vs St Kilda (Read 27740 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: 2017 Rd 8: After Game Analysis: Carlton vs St Kilda

Reply #30
Wonder what out first pick this year is going to be as there are good young forwards in this years draft.

I hope we don't just draft one for the sake of it whether they're any good or not, like we did with McCarthy, Mitchell and Watson among others.
If we get a high pick and one's available well and good but if not we might need to trade for one, Footscray paid top dollar for Boyd but it's turned out to be good value for them.
The only thing in this world worth more than a hill of beans is the Carlton Football Club.

Reply #31
Was at the ground. We owned them for patches and vice versa. The last 15 mins we were overrun by their mid field depth. Good signs.

1. Not sure why saints fans were Boo in murphy, he obviously got involved in the fight but didn't see amwhat happened? Is he in trouble?

2. Daisy was solid, actually looks to be gaining confidence

3. Casboult bad as noted before

4. Charlie. Wow this kid will be one hell of a player. Has all of the tools

5. Little SOS started well but got tired, faded badly imo

6. Kruezer and Murphy excellent as was doc and simmo. Gibbs was 'ok' but kicked that nice goal

7. Weiters. I'm not sure why people are worried. 2nd year KPP, moving nicely and taking marks. Gets a little lost in traffic

8. Love seeing Cripps move forward. Love it. Will happen more and more when our midfield develops depth

9. Asos. Immense (for you GIC) ????

10. Kids ok. Graham good options by foot, samo composed and fisher probs needs to get more of it and develop a right! Marchy played on Riewoldt most of the game who gave him an education, but he wasn't disgraced.

Overall very pleased, clearly we are developing well and so much to like about our future

Reply #32
Wonder what out first pick this year is going to be as there are good young forwards in this years draft. I think this team needs one ready to go now 21-25 years old no idea who is available and who would be happy to play for us. McKay is a talent his skills are good can take a good mark but needs kilos on his body to go into beast mode he needs games even for "education".

We still need to strengthen our midfield first. We've drafted key forwards, both who are doing very well in the VFL. Jaksch continues to perform well in the VFL and surely needs a go soon too, especially given his marking strength.

Reply #33
Was at the ground. We owned them for patches and vice versa. The last 15 mins we were overrun by their mid field depth. Good signs.

1. Not sure why saints fans were Boo in murphy, he obviously got involved in the fight but didn't see amwhat happened? Is he in trouble?

2. Daisy was solid, actually looks to be gaining confidence

3. Casboult bad as noted before

4. Charlie. Wow this kid will be one hell of a player. Has all of the tools

5. Little SOS started well but got tired, faded badly imo

6. Kruezer and Murphy excellent as was doc and simmo. Gibbs was 'ok' but kicked that nice goal

7. Weiters. I'm not sure why people are worried. 2nd year KPP, moving nicely and taking marks. Gets a little lost in traffic

8. Love seeing Cripps move forward. Love it. Will happen more and more when our midfield develops depth

10. Kids ok. Graham good options by foot, samo composed and fisher probs needs to get more of it and develop a right! Marchy played on Riewoldt most of the game who gave him an education, but he wasn't disgraced.

Overall very pleased, clearly we are developing well and so much to like about our future

On that last bit you're right on. We hold last qtr leads against Melbourne and St.Kilda and we're in the 8, so, yes, there's plenty to like about the future.

Reply #34
Thanks for that summary Jeffy38!

Also don't understand why some are concerned about Weiters - I think the days of running players into the ground to be competitive are gone.  We have surely learnt from that mistake.

Reply #35
SOJ works very hard. Runs his arse off.
At one stage, he was deep in our defensive 50 spoiling/defending then he sprinted to the other end where he marked and goaled. Works hard.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #36
I hate losing... I HATE LOSING!
But I don't mind losing like that.
We showed plenty with a few rookie mistakes.
They ran and spread hard and we couldn't keep up.
Plenty of green shoots. CC is showing why we had trust in his ability.
Pity Casboult and Wright decided to have a holiday today.
Where would we be without the Tractor?
I think the comp is starting to take notice of us and teams will no longer be expecting an easy win.
Great work BB and team.
2024... Moir of the same to come

Reply #37
Even so, current form has been very hot.
Don't dispute that, just don't think its sustainable. When we controlled the ball by chipping it around, they couldnt cope. When we turned up the heat and cracked in, they went to water I felt, as I said earlier, they like the outside stuff which they are very good at. When the whips are cracking deep in Sep, I dont think they will cope.
Ill tell what will also bring them undone, gifting games to Saint Nick. He is finished.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th

Reply #38
Seems to me we need a key forward - McKay, Jones or Jaksch need to come in

Weiters to replace White to add some polish and class to an already unbelievable good defence.

personally : out Fisher, White - in: Cunners, Jones/McKay

Bring in two key forwards and let Casboult just ruck. He and Kreuzer are getting plenty of it around the ground this year, even if Levi did have a shocker today. They are a good combo.

Sorry chaps, we were smashed in the I50s and stoppages, and you want to bring in extra talls reducing our run?

Even out that i50 difference and you probably find Casboult has a better game and SoJ doesn't run himself into the ground and turn it over.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #39
I did not get to see even a moment of the game at all today u or hear any of it either, so I go in blind here. But on the surface I absolutely would have taken this result before th game and walked away thinking we were on the right track. It seems like Billings had a field day, his defender or our setup?

Will look forward to watching the replay, but on the surface, well done to be right in this up to the end by the lads.

Goals for 2017
=============
Play the most anti-social football in the AFL

Reply #40

Touche' Ol' Boy and I agree FWIW. Great summary also, cudos.
Just on Weiters, watching the side live again today, I don't think there is a spot for him in the backline at the minute TBH.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th

Reply #41
At one stage, he was deep in our defensive 50 spoiling/defending then he sprinted to the other end where he marked and goaled. Works hard.

Yep he does work hard, but he gives it up too easily as well. All that work is going to bite him on the ar5e if he keeps topping the clangers table!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #43
When you have so many kids playing, you are bound to have plenty of ups and downs.

Today simply wasn't our day.

Casboults radar was off.
Fisher and Cripps did the impossible in failing to get a shot on goal despite being free in the goal square. (FWIW, that Cripps free was about as bad as you can get. He slapped his hip and that was deemed an acceptable tackle?!  >:( )
Graham, Daisy and White had some shocking turnovers....and there was probably a few more names in there.

The boys tried hard and thats about all you can ask of them.

Got a good 8 day break to take on Freo over there.
Lets bring the same enthusiasm there.

Reply #44
Saints have been playing some of the hottest football in the competition recently so to take it up to them and lead through the last qtr shows we have progressed.

Some blunders in front of goals and well as some baffling umpiring stopped the game being a cliff hanger late.

Coming together is the beginning.
Keeping together is progress.
Working together is success.
Henry Ford.