Skip to main content
Topic: 2017 Rd 8: After Game Analysis: Carlton vs St Kilda (Read 28038 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: 2017 Rd 8: After Game Analysis: Carlton vs St Kilda

Reply #90
It will depend on who they play. The 'Aints like a free flowing style and they do it well. Stymie their run and they don't have a plan B. Against another free flowing side, they have show they can be winners. But I am not sure they will handle the close checking brand some teams manage in finals.
They also depend on the getting the ball out of the middle. They have a good ruck brigade and are used to getting 1st use of the ball. Not sure how that would fare against a Nic Nat or Ryder type, or a Sandilands.

Agree Crash. We were talking at the game as to how we strangled them for much of the game. It was only after we tired in the 4th that they got the better of us and got their run and spread going again. It was a great experience for us because we showed how we could beat them - all we need is a bit more development and fitness. This will be a way of beating a number of other teams too.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #91
That was one of the worst decisions I've seen. The only way he could fall over is by being tripped. Again, as others have written, 38000 saw it; 3 did not. As it was, Crippa should have buried it.
For that matter, Fisher should have some sort of right foot. He could well learn by looking at Simmo, whose right foot is under-utilized, but he often manages to tie his opponents in knots while finally getting on his left.

Crippa was showboating. He should have learned from the case of the Costa Concordia! I don't think he'll be repeating that mistake - he must have felt very foolish afterwards.

Reply #92
Crippa was showboating. He should have learned from the case of the Costa Concordia! I don't think he'll be repeating that mistake - he must have felt very foolish afterwards.
Indeed. But he will learn.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #93
I for one loved Fisher's game.
Made that obvious howler, but his 1st, 2nd, 3rd and 4th efforts are amazing. He got 2 smothers at crucial points he had no right to get, just shear desperation.

I think BB, if he hasn't already done so, needs to contact the umpires and ask for clarification of the holding the ball rule. It needs to be brought to someone's attention that we are being treated differently to other teams in this regard.

Reply #94
Made that obvious howler, but his 1st, 2nd, 3rd and 4th efforts are amazing. He got 2 smothers at crucial points he had no right to get, just shear desperation.

I think BB, if he hasn't already done so, needs to contact the umpires and ask for clarification of the holding the ball rule. It needs to be brought to someone's attention that we are being treated differently to other teams in this regard.

I'll cut Fisher some slack because he's a first year, but in reality he had nowhere near enough footy for people to be patting him on his back.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #95
I think in a game where we were really only in it due to fighting qualities and effort, what Fisher did was crucial. That's the sort of effort you expect from a seasoned player leading by example. Our team isn't blessed with an  excess of skill right now, although we are showing signs of development in that area. I'll take Fishers game over a lot of other guys' in the team yesterday.

Reply #96

Maybe got a bit ahead of himself there but I like that. Signs of real confidence coming back.

Last I looked Ankle tap is supposed to be a free kick.

Reply #97

Fisher will be a beauty for sure - great pickup.

Reply #98
Great to hear BB in his post match media conference say that ACOS will be get plenty of games this year... begs the question, how many games is he allowed to play as a rookie? Will someone need to be delisted?
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #99
Great to hear BB in his post match media conference say that ACOS will be get plenty of games this year... begs the question, how many games is he allowed to play as a rookie? Will someone need to be delisted?

Dont know the exact rules but belongs on senior list for two years even if helping out Northern Blues.

Reply #100
Long as someone is on the long term injured list COS will be able to play, problem comes if/when Byrne gets back, if no one else cops a long termer

Reply #101
Yesterday, in his presser, BB clearly stated that Alex was "very important to us this year".

Reply #102

The umpires have treated us differently for sooooo long.
After the game i was thinking the same that BB complains about the umpiring and cop the fine.
Didn't Sheedy do this type of thing?
Time we pushed back instead of complying all the time.
2024... Moir of the same to come

Reply #103
I think that yesterday showed we still have a lot of work to do on our setup week to week. A few things stood out to me.

First, with Alex coming into the team and playing well it does poses some issues to the matchups. Playing both White & Plowman was a mistake yesterday, as we have too many tallish, slower players. Plowman was on Billings at times and is way too slow for that role. I don't see how those 2 guys can play together.

Second, our transition from defence to attack really struggles when we have a lot of young guys in the team. I think guys like Smedts play a critical role as link players through the midfield that was missing yesterday.

Thirdly, we had sub 20 shots at goal again yesterday. We remain the lowest scoring team in the comp, and have been in the bottom 2 teams for scoring and shots on goal for the last 2.5 years. We have seen zero signs of actual improvement in these numbers, despite trying numerous combinations. We are staying in games due to good defence, but our inability to score means we are never going to win games consistently until we find forwards who can actually kick goals. The Weitering, SOJ and Curnow forward line struggled again. This seems obvious, but our lack of improvement when you look at the scoring numbers over such a long period of time is really concerning.

Our experienced players went really well yesterday, but it was the less experienced guys who collectively gave us very little. This is the downside of a young developing team, but I think there are some structural and selection issues that still need to be addressed.

Reply #104
Our inside 50s were miles behind the Saints yesterday. We can't blame our forwards for that.

What we can blame our forwards on is their defensive pressure. Every week the opposition run it out with ease.
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!