Skip to main content
Topic: Rd 14: Post Game Palliative care: Carlton vs Richmond (Read 28042 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Rd 14: Post Game Palliative care: Carlton vs Richmond

Reply #30
It wasn't poor kicking for goal that cost us the game.
Richmond out muscled and outplayed us, pure and simple.

Yes, and it's difficult to do much with that last kick you referred to in the in-game thread when you spend an hour chipping around, giving the opposition time for a degustation dinner, then some extra time to flood and set up real nice.

Reply #31
Wont happen...Houli will get 1-2 weeks IMO....seen as a nice guy and poster boy for multicultural relations for the AFL...

it was Lamb's fault for running into his arm, the Commentators said he didn't mean to do it ::) :o
2024... Moir of the same to come

Reply #32
We were not hurt by the umpiring. I would suggest it favoured us more than them today.
I must've been watching a different game ::)

Reply #33
What is high impact, off the ball, intentional with the guy out  for the rest of the game worth???
Red Card (off the game) and rubbed out for 3

Reply #34
I must've been watching a different game ::)

Maybe you were.
I will give 3 examples of the top off my head.

2 examples in the below passage.

Richmond player handballs it out, is called for a throw with back to the umpire, the next possession Cas pushes clearly in the back and is paid the mark regardless to pass into the square for a goal to Daisy.

Another.. Cotchin drags the ball in, when Cripps jumps on top he puts his hands Cotchin's face, but we are paid the free kick, I felt the hands in the face should have taken precedence to the holding the ball, the umpire payed it the other way.

I am sure I could think off more also...
It is easy to just look at when it goes against us, but it doesn't always paint the right picture.
In my mind we were not closes to hard done by from the umpires.

Goals for 2017
=============
Play the most anti-social football in the AFL

Reply #35
We lost it at the selection table.

Losing 3 kids with enthusiasm and hunger was going to be hard to replace.

Failure to bring in White to do a job, or as a swingman to mix things up wasn't a good start as he brings the requisite hunger to the contest.

Pickett, simply doesn't influence the game enough. Yes, he needs games and we need to cross our fingers, arms and legs for him, but it wasn't the week for him.

Smedts....not sure what we were thinking with bringing him in this week. If anything he needs to be played deep forward, not across the middle/backline.

Graham....does a job....just not well enough. Will always be a small step below AFL level, but at least we know what he offers and is consistent.

Already having Boekhorst and Lamb, while adding the above 3, meant we had a few too many ???'s on effort and output. Obviously losing Lamb early was not ideal, but we may have lost Boekhorst, Pickett and Smedts as well. Non-eventers, the lot of them.

I would've preferred the mature bodies of White and Armfield to all of the above.

But...hindsight is a wonderful thing.

Hopefully we learn from our mistakes and do better at the selection table next week.

Reply #36
Maybe you were.
I will give 3 examples of the top off my head.

2 examples in the below passage.

Richmond player handballs it out, is called for a throw with back to the umpire, the next possession Cas pushes clearly in the back and is paid the mark regardless to pass into the square for a goal to Daisy.

Another.. Cotchin drags the ball in, when Cripps jumps on top he puts his hands Cotchin's face, but we are paid the free kick, I felt the hands in the face should have taken precedence to the holding the ball, the umpire payed it the other way.

I am sure I could think off more also...
It is easy to just look at when it goes against us, but it doesn't always paint the right picture.
In my mind we were not closes to hard done by from the umpires.
I reckon we were hurt by the umpires in certain situations.

I reckon the umps hurt the tigers in others.

Not a great performance by the umps, but at the end of the day it went both ways and lets call it a draw.

Reply #37
Selection wise, I think we went into management mode with a few of the youngsters.  Cunningham, Fisher and Williamson all travelled interstate, probably had a few niggles and then faced the prospect of a six day turnaround before the Crows.  I'll be interested to see how many of them return this week.

Reply #38
Too many of our support act didn't contibute enough today, leaving too much to too few.

Boekhorst, schmedts, pickett, SPS (28 touches combined) all made little impact, with Graham only marginally more. Lose this many posessions through the middle and it is going to be very difficult. Richmond's goal kicking was ordinary so the score flattered us in the end.  48 tackles is also a poor return, espcially for a low scoring game.

Thought we were coached well today, making some changes in the back half to negate rance in the second half, but lacked the execution. Our backline got a bit disorganised, as the richmond small forwards kept moving and defended well without the ball.

Best were cripps, gibbs, kreuzer and docherty. Murphy was out of sorts today, running like a headless chook at times attempting to fill the many gaps. He has been doing this much of the season, doing an extraordinary amount of running. Richmond negated him well today so he was often out of the game, especially in the first half.

Was impressed with charlie curnow today. Took some good marks and moved well over the whole game. He is developing well. Highlight was cripps' mark in the last i think, along with his burst out the middle and brilliant kick to casboult. Champagne football.

Richmond are a good side and do seem to lift against us. But have a few passangers, especially across the middle and it is quite a handicap.

I understand we are only half way through rebuild and attempting to build this list-depth for the future will be challenging.

Happy to accept mediocre performances from youngsters from time to time. Just not make a habbit of it.

Perrenialy short one consistent classy midfielder to support Cripps, Gibbs and Kreuzer and I think this is Josh Kelly.

Murphy should play as hard working small forward rotating through the midfield. Need to get this midfield right must be this year and must keep Gibbs too.

Reply #39
Beaten comprehensively at our own game?

Too much left to too few, again. Thank the gods for Cripps, Kreuzer, Docherty and Gibbs.

How many of our tackles were easily broken?

Was Murphy instructed to go at 60% today?

Samo does a couple of pretty things but little that is hard/ruthless. Has he been told not to hurt himself?

Pickett, Boekhorst and Samo contributed far, far too little. All 3 should be returned to the NBs. Many of us were surprised at who was promoted and who was not dropped, ie surprised Boekhorst kept his spot and surprised Pickett promoted. Pickett is beginning to remind me of the bloke he replaced on our list - Smith... runs around a lot, jumps about a lot but doesn't actually achieve very much.

Were we instructed not to bring our 'attitude' today? 48 tackles, good of us to not bruise the Tiggers.

Good to see Meat work so hard.

Thought Graham was far from our worst.

This 'one tall' up forward isn't working.
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #40
Agree with Kruds comments...our spud factor was too high, too many VFL standard players only....not the first game we have lost at the selection table.
Hardwick was a bit more inventive with his moves as well....their  small forward line worked vs our taller backs....Plowman, Marchbank and Weitering were serviceable at best and not suited to some of the Tiger smalls...

Boekhorst has been a bust...gone at years end.
Smedts isnt quick enough or good enough in pressure games.
Pickett wants to play bruise free pretty football or spectate.....
Graham gave effort after half time but wont ever be the class mid we need...just caught in between VFL and AFL standard..

Umpiring was woeful but not the difference....

Levi probably did enough to keep the Tigers interested...

Need the second tall forward as Baggers said...Harry probably has to play even though his form isnt great in the NB's......
Same old same old...Rance marking all our bombs assisted by Astbury, at least Harry might force a contest and some loose ball..

Reply #41
We lost it at the selection table.

Losing 3 kids with enthusiasm and hunger was going to be hard to replace.

Failure to bring in White to do a job, or as a swingman to mix things up wasn't a good start as he brings the requisite hunger to the contest.

Pickett, simply doesn't influence the game enough. Yes, he needs games and we need to cross our fingers, arms and legs for him, but it wasn't the week for him.

Smedts....not sure what we were thinking with bringing him in this week. If anything he needs to be played deep forward, not across the middle/backline.

Graham....does a job....just not well enough. Will always be a small step below AFL level, but at least we know what he offers and is consistent.

Already having Boekhorst and Lamb, while adding the above 3, meant we had a few too many ???'s on effort and output. Obviously losing Lamb early was not ideal, but we may have lost Boekhorst, Pickett and Smedts as well. Non-eventers, the lot of them.

I would've preferred the mature bodies of White and Armfield to all of the above.

But...hindsight is a wonderful thing.

Hopefully we learn from our mistakes and do better at the selection table next week.

Excellent points. I'll add terrible tackling attempts and insipid pressure. And Murphy. Show boating again. Man he is overrated, his timidness kills me. Set a very poor example today when the captain needed to smash someone into the ground and make a stand. I don't know, I just don't have the love for him like others do. Sorry, rant over.

Poor selections. Unfortunate about Lamb. Hope the lad is ok. Crows at the G next shall be a drumming. They will be baying for blood after the Hawks loss and we will get a pasting unless they pull a rabbit out of the hat.
Keep the Faith

Reply #42
FARK that was bad!

Reply #43
Pickett and Smedts should not play again until they are exceptional in their endeavour and impact in the NB.

He won't get it because we lost and that is okay, but I think Charlie Curnow would just about have been a lock for the Rising Star this week if we won and if he keeps this up, he is a certainty to get one.

I think we were completely outplayed in regards to having no way to stop the ball movement from our forward 50 in transition, I cannot remember us being beaten so easily in this fashion in quite a while.

It is going to be a game to learn from, but I think there might be a hell of a lot of tough talk in the reviews this week.
Goals for 2017
=============
Play the most anti-social football in the AFL

Reply #44
Pickett and Smedts should not play again until they are exceptional in their endeavour and impact in the NB.

He won't get it because we lost and that is okay, but I think Charlie Curnow would just about have been a lock for the Rising Star this week if we won and if he keeps this up, he is a certainty to get one.

I think we were completely outplayed in regards to having no way to stop the ball movement from our forward 50 in transition, I cannot remember us being beaten so easily in this fashion in quite a while.

It is going to be a game to learn from, but I think there might be a hell of a lot of tough talk in the reviews this week.

This was a list shaping win if you want a positive, some players like Charlie Curnow established their credentials, some like Boekhorst, Smedts and Pickett probably had their papers stamped.
Selection and lack of appreciation of Richmonds game plan/setup didnt help....
Shame with Pickett as he has skills and was a No 4 pick but he just doesnt seem to be able to concentrate or apply himself for 100 minutes...makes a brave smother then half attempts a mark playing bruise free footy...very frustrating is that lad...