Skip to main content
Topic: 2018 - What do you expect from the club? (Read 45882 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: 2018 - What do you expect from the club?

Reply #75
If that's the case....
We'd want to hope it's not true or never proven.
There's a precedent for stripping awards when dodgy stuff goes down.

Reply #76
Yeah, i think some carlton players made a lot of money those weeks.
At the time, I worked for a bloke who was mates with a player. Lets just say a few them bought a fair bit of expensive hi fi gear the following week.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #77
I expect we'll win 6 or 8 games .  Losing Gibbs will hurt short term.
Hopefully we're able to score a little more our low potency in front of goals is a real concern.
We'll play some exciting footy no doubt, there's  plenty of young talent to drool over as we develop.
The 2018 will help us plenty,  so much talent available the top 10 are very good and next 10 good too.
Go Baggers

Reply #78
I expect we'll win 6 or 8 games .  Losing Gibbs will hurt short term.
Hopefully we're able to score a little more our low potency in front of goals is a real concern.
We'll play some exciting footy no doubt, there's  plenty of young talent to drool over as we develop.
The 2018 will help us plenty,  so much talent available the top 10 are very good and next 10 good too.
Go Baggers

Our potency presently is not about our forwards. It is about four things:

1. our (coach directed) defensive mindset
2. our (relatively) weak midfield
3. the quality of delivery into inside 50
4. the absolute number of inside 50s.

http://www.afl.com.au/stats

are there any stats anywhere that look at the quality of ball movement into F50?

Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #79
Our potency presently is not about our forwards. It is about four things:

1. our (coach directed) defensive mindset
2. our (relatively) weak midfield
3. the quality of delivery into inside 50
4. the absolute number of inside 50s.

http://www.afl.com.au/stats

are there any stats anywhere that look at the quality of ball movement into F50?

What is a correlation and what is a cause?

Do we get less marks inside F50 because we enter F50 less or with less depth and quality, or do we enter F50 less because we have no effective forwards?

I think a major problem is Casboult's heat map, even when he's playing well far too many of his contested marks come well outside F50 between the HFF and the HBF. This leaves him outside range, and slowing play. So is this because of Casboult, the coaches or because of the in play decisions further up the field?

During the year the media punished Carlton for it's slow uncontested possession game style defensive side of centre, that game style implies high possession counts but we ranked last for disposals in 2017, and 4th last for disposal efficiency. If we have a high D50 possession count with uncontested ball, then we must have a very low midfield or F50 possession count with a lot of disputed possessions! That tells us something about or game forward of centre.

A slow defensive build up won't help forwards, but again is the slow build up the cause or the effect of poor forward structures and patterns.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #80
I'm not dwelling too much on our game style of last year as it was probably only a stage in our evolution. I'm more interested in seeing how we line up and play in 2018. I'm certain it will be very different and more attacking, especially as the year unfolds.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #81
I'm not dwelling too much on our game style of last year as it was probably only a stage in our evolution. I'm more interested in seeing how we line up and play in 2018. I'm certain it will be very different and more attacking, especially as the year unfolds.

I suppose we can expect some natural improvement in this regard, as confidence and skills grow players should become more adventurous.

It's the bit in bold that has let us down in the past, our skills just haven't improved much over the years which is a worry.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #82
I suppose we can expect some natural improvement in this regard, as confidence and skills grow players should become more adventurous.

It's the bit in bold that has let us down in the past, our skills just haven't improved much over the years which is a worry.

It would appear that we have put more focus on development of late. We'll just have to wait and see whether that starts to bear fruit next year.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #83
The crazy thing about our stats is that we are the highest kicking team on average in the comp, but we are ranked dead last on handballs - so are last in total disposals per game.

There is cause and effect in everything in football. We play safety first football and kick a lot, which means we get very little overlap run and handball. This gives defenses and midfielders plenty of time to get back and setup against us, which makes the forwards job difficult. But we also don't have any good forwards who can find space in this environment.

We play to minimise the score and opposition can kick, and this makes the midfields job extremely hard as we are often one man down at the stoppage, as the opposition effectively gets an extra midfielder.

Until we are prepared to play 1:1 defence and then be more daring with hands through the midfield with guys like SPS, Murph, and Cunningham we are going to continue to struggle to kick a score and put sides away. We are good in an arm wrestle game, but struggle with Plan B.

And we also need to remember that their are 17 other teams who expecting natural growth and development from their under 23 brigade, so thinking this is going to be a game changer in 2018 is a big stretch. Of course we need it, but we also need big years from the players traded in to make a difference.

Reply #84
Game plan will evovle over time. That's how it is with some rebuilds. Watch the skills suddenly  improve with a  more attacking game plan. Skills always look better ehen players have space to run onto the ball. 

Reply #85
What do I expect in 2018.

Significant improvement from all and sundry.

The young brigade - Kennedy (20), Lang (21), Marchy (20), Plow (23), Cuners (20), Fish (19), SPS (19), Wilson (Pickett) (21), Weiters (19), Harry Mc, Charlie C (20) and #3 and #10. Oops, I forgot Jack S (19), Willo (19) and possibly Macreadie (19) (whom I rate).

Most will be in the 50-70 game bracket come the end of next season.

These 15-16 young blokes control the immediate destiny and the future of this Club.

There is a lot of real, top end quality there - more than most Clubs easily (on paper at least). Guys who haven't been tainted by the years of mediocrity. And ones who will not accept mediocrity.

The new draftees (from the upcoming ND on 24 November) might have little impact but I remain hopeful #3 will be a big bodied type (Rayner ideally  O0) who is ready to play.

Ditto #10 - hopefully (to my mind) Tim Kelly.

How fast they all 'develop' - individually and collectively - will determine how many games we win.

Personally, I think we'll be saying Bryce who by mid year.

We've still got a very solid core of older types - Ed Curnow, Murph, Special K, Rowe, ACOS, Simmo, Levi, Daisy, Jonesy, Jed Lamb, Wright, Kerridge.

Clearly, doing the maths, a few senior types will struggle for regular games as the youngsters press. But all are capable of playing a role, if required.

Then there's the Doc and Crippa - still young and both AA level players. And Byrne.

I'm a glass half full type - 11-12 wins in 2018.  :o :o

They say you need 6 or more A graders to be at the 'top' or thereabouts - my top 6 come 2019?

C. Curnow, Weiters, Cripps, Doc, SPS and Jones.

(apologies to Special K, Smurf, Marchbank and Matt Kennedy)

2019 will be the 'bang' year imo - especially if Mr Wines joins the Blues' train!  ;)
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #86
The crazy thing about our stats is that we are the highest kicking team on average in the comp, but we are ranked dead last on handballs - so are last in total disposals per game.

There is cause and effect in everything in football. We play safety first football and kick a lot, which means we get very little overlap run and handball. This gives defenses and midfielders plenty of time to get back and setup against us, which makes the forwards job difficult. But we also don't have any good forwards who can find space in this environment.

We play to minimise the score and opposition can kick, and this makes the midfields job extremely hard as we are often one man down at the stoppage, as the opposition effectively gets an extra midfielder.

Until we are prepared to play 1:1 defence and then be more daring with hands through the midfield with guys like SPS, Murph, and Cunningham we are going to continue to struggle to kick a score and put sides away. We are good in an arm wrestle game, but struggle with Plan B.

And we also need to remember that their are 17 other teams who expecting natural growth and development from their under 23 brigade, so thinking this is going to be a game changer in 2018 is a big stretch. Of course we need it, but we also need big years from the players traded in to make a difference.

Midfield has been overrated IMO...poor in clearances and Inside 50's......plus we man opposing mids poorly, Curnow excepted. Too many opposing mids have too much of the ball, players like Zorko burn us every year and nothing changes...

Reply #87
What do I expect in 2018.

Significant improvement from all and sundry.

The young brigade - Kennedy (20), Lang (21), Marchy (20), Plow (23), Cuners (20), Fish (19), SPS (19), Wilson (Pickett) (21), Weiters (19), Harry Mc, Charlie C (20) and #3 and #10. Oops, I forgot Jack S (19), Willo (19) and possibly Macreadie (19) (whom I rate).

Most will be in the 50-70 game bracket come the end of next season.
See, i think i've found your problem, you are a year ahead of everyone else.

If all the players play 22 games next year (unlikely, but possible) then only 4 from the 16 will be in that 50-70 bracket.
If all players play every game in the next 2 years, THEN 13/16 will be in that bracket.

You can EXPECT them to do most of the heavy lifting in 2018, but they will not be ready to do that until 2019....by your own criteria.

Simply, you expect too much too soon.

Reply #88
This is true. Next year will be another development year, we'll see some exciting signs and will snatch a few games, but 2019 is when we will start our charge up the ladder

Reply #89
One thing I am is a maths geek...you were being cute with the numbers. And at no stage did I say these young blokes would do the majority of the heavy lifting in 2018.

Now   2018   2019
Kennedy   19   41   63
Lang           44   66   88
Marchy   23   45   67
Plowman   60   82   104
SoJ           28   50   72
SPS           20   42   64
Fisher   15   37   59
Willo       15   37   59
Macreadie   8   30   52
Curnow   27   49   71
Weitering   42   64   86