Skip to main content
Topic: Smith's Crew in SA (Read 80171 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Smith's Crew in SA

Reply #375
In times like these you generally find outa bit about players.
The Marsh boys might want to get involved at some point

Reply #376
Mitch Marsh... Watson mark 2. Doesnt bowl because he gets injured all the time. Hence we have 4 flogged front line bowlers with no support.
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #377
Hazelwood might like to take a wicket before Christmas too.  :o
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #378
Hazelwood might like to take a wicket before Christmas too.  :o

Before this test he had 15 wickets for 4 tests this year.
34 in 2017.
I wouldn’t say he is out major issue.
I just don’t get why Cummins doesn’t open with Hazlewood and Starc bowls 1st change.

Reply #379
Before this test he had 15 wickets for 4 tests this year.
34 in 2017.
I wouldn’t say he is out major issue.
I just don’t get why Cummins doesn’t open with Hazlewood and Starc bowls 1st change.

Saffies have found a star player in Markram and Elgar is underated, we probably under estimated them as a batting unit....the former will probably be a future Saffie captain...
Saffies are also a better fielding team IMO...

Reply #380
Having had a good look at Sayers now,I cannot understand why he doesn't bowl stump to stump at that pace, make sure he gets the ball in the channel, and, them moves it both ways. His wrist position at that pace is key for him. I think he could also keep his arm action a little higher.

For those saying he isn't quick enough, I agree, however Philander is only fractionally faster. If we can persist with him and get those things right, he will be an effective all day bowler who can get wickets in non bowler friendly conditions, or, keep it tight which builds pressure. Personally, I think he will have to develop his batting if he is going to get a run in this team - Ala Philander.

Reply #381
Having had a good look at Sayers now,I cannot understand why he doesn't bowl stump to stump at that pace, make sure he gets the ball in the channel, and, them moves it both ways. His wrist position at that pace is key for him. I think he could also keep his arm action a little higher.

For those saying he isn't quick enough, I agree, however Philander is only fractionally faster. If we can persist with him and get those things right, he will be an effective all day bowler who can get wickets in non bowler friendly conditions, or, keep it tight which builds pressure. Personally, I think he will have to develop his batting if he is going to get a run in this team - Ala Philander.

Sayers will bowl well in England IMO...

Reply #382
Saffies have found a star player in Markram and Elgar is underated, we probably under estimated them as a batting unit....the former will probably be a future Saffie captain...
Saffies are also a better fielding team IMO...

I think also we shouldn't overlook that Hazelwood, Starc and even Lyon have been non events this Series....for whatever reason.
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #383
Du Plessis shows his true colours....  Bats on to a lead of 600+ when half that required against a beaten enemy. Pulled the pin to prevent Cummins getting a historic milestone (10 wickets and half century).

Wasn't enough for them to win,  they needed to humiliate the vanquished and exorcise their demons.

This is what our mob were up against,  but apparently  the Australian  cricket side are all cheats and pricks.

Gentleman's game my bum,  neither side played the game in that spirit this tour.  Everyone I knew was so looking forward to this tour,  what a let down,  and test cricket died a bit more instead of adding to its rich history.

Gees, batting out a draw tommorrow - or rain - wouldnt that be be a small victory?

Reply #384
Du Plessis shows his true colours....  Bats on to a lead of 600+ when half that required against a beaten enemy. Pulled the pin to prevent Cummins getting a historic milestone (10 wickets and half century).

Wasn't enough for them to win,  they needed to humiliate the vanquished and exorcise their demons.

This is what our mob were up against,  but apparently  the Australian  cricket side are all cheats and pricks.

Gentleman's game my bum,  neither side played the game in that spirit this tour.  Everyone I knew was so looking forward to this tour,  what a let down,  and test cricket died a bit more instead of adding to its rich history.

Gees, batting out a draw tommorrow - or rain - wouldnt that be be a small victory?

Agreed Prof, this lot started  their 2nd Innings with a lead north of 250 runs, then spent most of the next day batting at below a RR of 3. If you want to know why Test Cricket is rumored to be dying there is your prime example!

Unlike many I didn't expect any different, the Saffies have been doing it for a decade and claiming he spoils while lots of other countries try to lift the image of the game!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #385
No one has suggested that SA are pure.  Yes,  they could have declared earlier.  There is no obligation to help the opposition achieve s milestone.  There is no obligation to give the opposition a chance to win.   All teams do what SA do.  Their run rate was 3.27 in the second innings, which isn't bad for them and there was a lot of time left in the test.

Nothing wrong with what they did.  We have been doing it for years.

If this was a footy match and we were 10 goals up against the Bombers who were down to 17 players due to injuries at the start of the last quarter,  would you want to ease up.? What would be an acceptable result that is fair?

Evidence of their cheating this series is?

Reply #386

Cheating is one thing, stewardship of the game another.

On the cheating, just as being crap or failing at cheating doesn't mean you are innocent, see CheatsFC for the gold standard of that example, being good at it isn't a get out of gaol free pass either!

I have great respect for Kerry Packer, he saw the game he loved dying and did something about it. SA represent the old ways, they do not care about the sport from a general public perspective, to them it's an elite activity only the rich and privileged should participate in on grounds built and subsidised by the little folk!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #387
No one has suggested that SA are pure.  Yes,  they could have declared earlier.  There is no obligation to help the opposition achieve s milestone.  There is no obligation to give the opposition a chance to win.   All teams do what SA do.  Their run rate was 3.27 in the second innings, which isn't bad for them and there was a lot of time left in the test.

Nothing wrong with what they did.  We have been doing it for years.

If this was a footy match and we were 10 goals up against the Bombers who were down to 17 players due to injuries at the start of the last quarter,  would you want to ease up.? What would be an acceptable result that is fair?

I agree. Some people have massive victim mentalities that they take to every sport. The Australian Cricket team gets unfair treatment from the ICC and the cricket world generally - other teams get preferential treatment. Carlton gets unfair treatment from the AFL, the media, and the footy world generally - other teams gets preferential treatment.

I really wonder why some people even bother following sport.

Reply #388
Funny, that's exactly what I was thinking on the long drive home from Docklands on Saturday.....

Reply #389
Evidence of collusion?     Wangling things to get Rabada's ban overturned.   Not cheating but clearly part of "do anything to win" mentality.

Apparently using sugar-laced saliva for "minor ball polishing" is different to scuffing the ball with sandpaper.

I'll call it what it was Faf....it was blatant cheating.