Skip to main content
Topic: R1 vs Port Adelaide @ Etihad - Pre-Match Postulating (Read 56427 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: R1 vs Port Adelaide @ Etihad - Pre-Match Postulating

Reply #45
Is Everitt really a key defender?

Is Westhoff really a key forward?

Both are tall, agile and use that to exploit their opponents.

There will most likely be very little body on body contests, and more chasing tail.

Would we not be better playing someone who puts him in an uncomfortable position with body contact rather than playing to his strengths? I don't see everitt beating him at his own game without help.

Everitt is someone that can match him. Like for like.

Watson is someone that could out body him.....so you reckon Westhoff will stick around and try and outbody him? No, he'll get on his bike and use his strengths which happens to be watsons weakness.

We have Watson and Jammo playing deep and if Westhoff wants to play down there they will be there to help out everitt. If he wants 1-on-1s with everitt he will have to run. The further he runs, the further away from goal he is, the better off we will be.

I think Mick and co will happilly take Westhoff getting the ball 60m+ out from goal, rather than closer in.

Reply #46

Yes he is in today's game for sure. An a very good one at that. I don't remember Everitt ever playing as a key defender (I could be wrong).
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #47

Yes he is in today's game for sure. An a very good one at that. I don't remember Everitt ever playing as a key defender (I could be wrong).

Disagree.

To me a key forward takes contested marks, marks inside 50 and kicks goals.
We struggle for key forwards on our list, but here is a comparison of a couple, and a few other similar-ish type players to westhoff.

Player --- %CMs  - %MI50  --- Gls/game
Casboult -   49% --- 33%  ----  0.82
Hampson -   36% --- 30% --- 0.51
Waite ----    20% --- 24% --- 1.33
N. Riewoldt - 24% --- 37% --- 2.2
J. Riewoldt - 31% --- 55% --- 2.39
Vickory  --- 27% --- 36% --- 1.04 
Westhoff - 24% ---   27% ---  1.31

I added the riewoldts, as they are leading type forwards and less physical types. Ditto Vickory, who has also had stints in the ruck, which westhoff has had to a lesser extent.

Westhoff has worse %'s compared to everyone on that list except for Waite. He spent a large part of his career in defence which hurts both of those numbers. Interestingly though, he kicks as many goals as Westhoff does, suggesting he is more prominant when used forward.

What that shows me is
a) Casboult can't kick
b) Hampson can't kick and plays ruck
c) We wasted Waite playing him in defence
d) the Riewoldts are genuine key forwards
e) Vickory, despite more ruck time is more of a key forward
f) Westhoffs numbers suggest he is a tall flanker, not a genuine key forward as his numbers don't stack up against the others in terms of 'key forward' material.

Reply #48
Amazing that Westhoff kicks as many goals as.... Westhoff!

;) ;)
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #49
Had so much on lately. Between the cricket and flat out with my own sport I forgot about the footy starting this  week.

Best I switch modes in my head.

My tip,  we'll win. Our side is looking well balanced, better than any other time in recent memory, with the additions during the off-season. First games often produce trick results though often making round 2 hard to pick. Some sides need a real game to get going.

Reply #50
Rowe has played down back in all 3 practise matches, so you would think he is definitely in the mix to play as the third tall.

Reply #52
Are we playing the Westhoff Footy Club this week?? :))

Reply #53
@kruddler

Westhoff's stats are not too dissimilar to Reiwoldt's in terms of contested marks and marks inside 50. Reiwoldt is a key forward and Westhoff plays some time in ruck which would marry up with his less marks inside 50. Also Westhoff has not been anywhere near as effective in his career as he has been recently. I'd like to see those stats from last season only. You're only as good as your last game or in this case, season.

Westhoff contested mark average 2013 was 1.7. Some other examples:

Drew Petrie  1.8
Nick Reiwoldt 1.8
Tom Hawkins 1.6
Jack Reiwoldt 1.4

Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #54
Anyone going to this game?  Or watching it at home?

Be watching it from interstate... badly timed work trip!

Interstate for me too...badly timed Family wedding :(

Hong Kong for work :(.  Australia Network will have it live so a couple of local stubbies in the room will do the job!

Reply #55
Hendo in doubt according to on the couch??
Eat more chooks

Reply #56

They're probably going off the out dated afl.com.au injury list which says Hendo is still 2 weeks away despite him playing VFL on Friday.

I reckon he'll play. He played the full game on Friday and looked good IMO. Tired towards the end but that's expected in his first game. If port are going to play Trengove & Carlile off no preseason games at all & Schulz who has only played a half, then Hendo should be fine.

Reply #57

They're probably going off the out dated afl.com.au injury list which says Hendo is still 2 weeks away despite him playing VFL on Friday.

I reckon he'll play. He played the full game on Friday and looked good IMO. Tired towards the end but that's expected in his first game. If port are going to play Trengove & Carlile off no preseason games at all & Schulz who has only played a half, then Hendo should be fine.

x2. We'll beat Port.
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #58
I'd worry more about Boak, Monfries and Wingard ahead of Westhoff.
IN WADA WE TRUST