Skip to main content
Topic: Future of the footy forum (Read 43386 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Future of the footy forum

Reply #90
No plans at the moment...Spanner takes care of the technical aspects of the site.
Consideration would have to be given to the time to set up such an app.

I don't have any issues accessing CSC via my phone or tablet.  What benefits would an app provide?
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #91
Im apart of a parenting forum which you can use with an app and its a lot easier to navigate through. The layout is user friendly I get notifications if people respond to my post or thread as in a (1) on the app similar to facebook. I don't have to constantly zoom into everything because the writing is too small or re position my page. It's just easier to use.
L

Reply #92
Banning is an extreme.
It usually takes place after a number of indiscretions
I do understand folks won't always agree with a ban or suspension but it's also important to understand that unless you're watching here 24/7 you wont always get the full picture of why a ban has been imposed.

We've lost some really good contributors and some of them have been quite sad.... but often it's because they've got a "bee in their bonnet" about a coach or player and just refused to let it go infiltrating threads across the forums despite constant warnings. There comes a point where a line must be drawn and the consequences applied.

You wont normally be banned for a critical opinion...it's how you express it that will get you in  strife.

Calling a Carlton player a dog is unacceptable.

Going into a voting thread and making a silly response is disruptive and unhelpful.

Derogatory comments about a player after he suffers a season ending injury, like we're lucky it happened...wont earn you points.

Posts like that will always draw an understandable negative personal response and disrupt the forum. Those type of posts will earn you a holiday.
Be critical by all means, but if you are... keep it on topic and attack the players skills, attitude etc... but don't disparage them on a personal level.

There's 2 things about this forum of which I am quite certain :
1. The mods are even and fair in their treatment of posters : they don't target, victimize, or single out anyone arbitrarily
2. despite the belief of some folks, there is not and never has been a requirement (tacit or otherwise) that posts on here must toe the party line. As lods says, feel free to agree or disagree with any topic, just be sensible how you do it. Expression is the key.

Reply #93
I'm pretty new to using apps on small devices, and I can see the appeal. I dare say that this is one of those issues that will divide the younger and older members of the site, and when and if the demographic moves closer to the former, demands and expectations for such an app will increase.

Reply #94
Im apart of a parenting forum which you can use with an app and its a lot easier to navigate through. The layout is user friendly I get notifications if people respond to my post or thread as in a (1) on the app similar to facebook. I don't have to constantly zoom into everything because the writing is too small or re position my page. It's just easier to use.

I see, that is fair enough as a concern.

I'm not familiar with SMF, but I know most such software generally now offers mobile device friendly themes, would that be a possible option an "M" version of the site for small screen users/

It's an interesting issue that keeps popping up, I don't know enough about this stuff to say if it possible, and even if it is it may not be easy or quick to administrate.

There is another potential issue, how big or small do the Mods want this forum to be? I suspect even at our smaller size it's a handful to Mod over the main season! A mobile theme might cause a significant growth period in the short term. I've been a little involved in Admin of CRM systems in the past, and found that a mobile theme really increases the system interaction with clients but can also cause massive problems if the people resource isn't available to allow the owner to deal with the increased traffic.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #95
I'm pretty new to using apps on small devices, and I can see the appeal. I dare say that this is one of those issues that will divide the younger and older members of the site, and when and if the demographic moves closer to the former, demands and expectations for such an app will increase.

It shouldnt be the case of one or the other as far as i know the browser site should stay the same and the app would be an additional optional thing.
L

Reply #96
It shouldnt be the case of one or the other as far as i know the browser site should stay the same and the app would be an additional optional thing.

I dare say you would know more about this than me. I use Chrome on an HTC phone, and I know some sites are set up so you can choose (on the phone) whether you want to view it as "mobile friendly" or "desktop friendly". CSC does not offer that choice as far as I can tell, so the site is permanently in desktop mode. You do have to zoom in and out and scroll around a little, but it's still pretty usable IMO.

Reply #97

I’m not familiar with the app that has been suggested, however it’s not an either/or situation.
For the people who don’t understand what is being suggested it’s like using your banks full www site to do your internet banking as opposed to using their app. The app is much simpler, bigger buttons, simpler layout and no need to keep expanding the screen, that’s if of course, you do internet banking... ????????????
Let’s go BIG !

Reply #98
I dare say you would know more about this than me. I use Chrome on an HTC phone, and I know some sites are set up so you can choose (on the phone) whether you want to view it as "mobile friendly" or "desktop friendly". CSC does not offer that choice as far as I can tell, so the site is permanently in desktop mode. You do have to zoom in and out and scroll around a little, but it's still pretty usable IMO.

Yeah there is that option too which would make it more user friendly and if other users didn't want to use the mobile site I think it would be easy enough to switch betweennthe two.

I was on this site a long time ago probably about 8 - 10 years ago and I may even have been banned for those playing at home I can't remember but back then apps weren't a thing nor was accessing forums on your phone so when I signed back up to CSC which I did because I liked that there wasn't as much traffic as other forums (although it defiantly has died down since then which is disappointing) I didn't think it would be a desktop only site.

I dont think the site is not usable because it is it is more that it's just a hindrance and not very user friendly and i know personally I will probably lose interest after a while.
L

Reply #99
I’m not familiar with the app that has been suggested, however it’s not an either/or situation.
For the people who don’t understand what is being suggested it’s like using your banks full www site to do your internet banking as opposed to using their app. The app is much simpler, bigger buttons, simpler layout and no need to keep expanding the screen, that’s if of course, you do internet banking... ????????????

Yes, I get all that, and I do have internet banking, but only on my desktop. I have no need for the bank apps on my phone. My wife has them, and no doubt they're handy, but she hardly ever uses them. I'm sure she could delete them and not miss them at all.

Reply #100
Yeah there is that option too which would make it more user friendly and if other users didn't want to use the mobile site I think it would be easy enough to switch betweennthe two.

I was on this site a long time ago probably about 8 - 10 years ago and I may even have been banned for those playing at home I can't remember but back then apps weren't a thing nor was accessing forums on your phone so when I signed back up to CSC which I did because I liked that there wasn't as much traffic as other forums (although it defiantly has died down since then which is disappointing) I didn't think it would be a desktop only site.

I dont think the site is not usable because it is it is more that it's just a hindrance and not very user friendly and i know personally I will probably lose interest after a while.

Fair enough. Do you ever access the site from a computer ?

It would take a lot more than the lack of a mobile app for me to lose interest in the site, but that's just me.

Reply #101
B15

Drop Spanner a PM outlining your suggestion. He's a busy man but he'll be able to determine whether what your suggesting is viable.

Reply #102
While we are talking spanner..

Can we get him to change the default code for Video?

Each time you click on the video icon, it defaults to 200x200, can we have that changed to standard 560x315.

Reply #103
So am I msging spanner these request? I haven't yet
L

Reply #104
So am I msging spanner these request? I haven't yet

Just ask him about your suggestion for starters.
I'll direct him to this thread next time I see him online as there may be others.
A lot will depend on the time involved to set these things up and whether he can spare it.