Skip to main content
Topic: Future of the footy forum (Read 43499 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Future of the footy forum

Reply #105
Ok no problems ta
L

Reply #106
Yes, I get all that, and I do have internet banking, but only on my desktop. I have no need for the bank apps on my phone. My wife has them, and no doubt they're handy, but she hardly ever uses them. I'm sure she could delete them and not miss them at all.

Keyboard warrior you... ????
I have a laptop, but it only gets fired up to do my accounts for my business and to do my BAS, everything else I do on my iPad or Mobi.
In fact on the odd occasion that I do post from my laptop it’s a pain in the arse because my iPad throws commas and stuff in, generally in the right places ???? whereas on the laptop I’m always going back to insert them manually... first world problems ????????

Edit: Have you actually looked at your wife’s banking app ?
Watch her make a payment or even just check the account balance and then try do the same on the full www site on your Mobi, it’s chalk and cheese.
Let’s go BIG !

Reply #107
Keyboard warrior you... ????
I have a laptop, but it only gets fired up to do my accounts for my business and to do my BAS, everything else I do on my iPad or Mobi.
In fact on the odd occasion that I do post from my laptop it’s a pain in the arse because my iPad throws commas and stuff in, generally in the right places ???? whereas on the laptop I’m always going back to insert them manually... first world problems ????????

Edit: Have you actually looked at your wife’s banking app ?
Watch her make a payment or even just check the account balance and then try do the same on the full www site on your Mobi, it’s chalk and cheese.

Yes, the auto suggest spelling and grammar that you get on mobile devices is pretty handy, but it softens you up and makes you lazy.

I do all the banking for the family (from my desktop), so my wife has never used her apps, or maybe she's used them once a few years back.

Reply #108
Yes! That is something that is annoying my browser doesnt autocorrect nor does it put punctuation in where it needs to be. I never put punctuation in my messages because im so used to my phone doing it for me and im not particularly interested in doing it now

Ive also sent a msg to Spanner, hopefully he can do something about atleast giving us the option.
L

Reply #109
Yes! That is something that is annoying my browser doesnt autocorrect nor does it put punctuation in where it needs to be. I never put punctuation in my messages because im so used to my phone doing it for me and im not particularly interested in doing it now

Ive also sent a msg to Spanner, hopefully he can do something about atleast giving us the option.

Unfortunately, those stream-of-consciousness posts can be hard to read, and one is sometimes dissuaded from doing so. In order to optimize communication with the other humans, a little extra effort is occasionally required.

Or as I like to say, "Camarades, encore un effort !"  :D

Reply #110
Lods I have contacted spanner and have also PM'd you.
L

Reply #111
Unfortunately, those stream-of-consciousness posts can be hard to read, and one is sometimes dissuaded from doing so. In order to optimize communication with the other humans, a little extra effort is occasionally required.

Or as I like to say, "Camarades, encore un effort !"  :D

We're a dying breed, Durante Koala. We're headed for a world where our phones do everything for us, even think. Good chance that in 30 years or so there will be record levels of Alzheimers/dementia! I shouldn't admit this but my phone is for text messages (spelled out!!), live calls and photos. I disable data. And I do all the banking and serious stuff on the lap top. eeeekkk.... :o :o :o
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #112
We're a dying breed, Durante Koala. We're headed for a world where our phones do everything for us, even think. Good chance that in 30 years or so there will be record levels of Alzheimers/dementia! I shouldn't admit this but my phone is for text messages (spelled out!!), live calls and photos. I disable data. And I do all the banking and serious stuff on the lap top. eeeekkk.... :o :o :o

Yes, the Alzheimer's / dementia is a serious issue. There seems to be a fair whack of evidence coming out that "use it or lose it" applies to the brain as much as the physical muscles.

I also send fully worded and punctuated texts, but I do use data for very simple web surfing and checking emails. I've posted a few things on here from the phone, and it works ok, but I wouldn''t like to do it all the time. So Blues15 does have a point IMO.

I remember back in the early days of personal computing, I started on one of those small, all in one Macs, the ones with the tiny 9 inch b/w screen.  Whilst it was quite a thrill, I remember many thinking how awesome it would be to have a bigger, colour display. As time passed, we got up to 23, 24, 27 and even 30 inch screens. And now we're back to screens on phones that, whilst clearly of higher quality than those old ones, are even smaller than my old Mac SE and Mac Classic. I use a 23 inch screen on my current computer and love it.

I guess compromises need to be made if you want to carry chunks of your life with you wherever you go, and not have to carry an anvil. But I find those small screens of strictly limited use.

Reply #113
Yes, the Alzheimer's / dementia is a serious issue. There seems to be a fair whack of evidence coming out that "use it or lose it" applies to the brain as much as the physical muscles.

I also send fully worded and punctuated texts, but I do use data for very simple web surfing and checking emails. I've posted a few things on here from the phone, and it works ok, but I wouldn''t like to do it all the time. So Blues15 does have a point IMO.

I remember back in the early days of personal computing, I started on one of those small, all in one Macs, the ones with the tiny 9 inch b/w screen.  Whilst it was quite a thrill, I remember many thinking how awesome it would be to have a bigger, colour display. As time passed, we got up to 23, 24, 27 and even 30 inch screens. And now we're back to screens on phones that, whilst clearly of higher quality than those old ones, are even smaller than my old Mac SE and Mac Classic. I use a 23 inch screen on my current computer and love it.

I guess compromises need to be made if you want to carry chunks of your life with you wherever you go, and not have to carry an anvil. But I find those small screens of strictly limited use.

Agree...I use my desktop for banking/investing, paying bills etc and while I have the bank apps on the smartphone I rarely use them...maybe when travelling.
I try and use my phone as a phone although I do like the alarm/torch features and have a couple of business apps.....much prefer the desktop and big screen so I'm not squinting at a 5" screen.....
Mobile phone use is something I try and avoid to be honest, having a microwave oven to my ear doesnt grab me or strapped to a belt near my orchestra stalls.

Reply #114
Agree...I use my desktop for banking/investing, paying bills etc and while I have the bank apps on the smartphone I rarely use them...maybe when travelling.
I try and use my phone as a phone although I do like the alarm/torch features and have a couple of business apps.....much prefer the desktop and big screen so I'm not squinting at a 5" screen.....
Mobile phone use is something I try and avoid to be honest, having a microwave oven to my ear doesnt grab me or strapped to a belt near my orchestra stalls.

Yes, agree EB. I'm one of those dinosaurs that still has a working landline, which I prefer to use when possible.

Reply #115
Ok gents getting back on topic  C:-)  :P I have spoken to Spanner and he has said there needs to be some sort of consensus and if the members are on board with a change then they would have a further look into it.
L

Reply #116
Ok gents getting back on topic  C:-)  :P I have spoken to Spanner and he has said there needs to be some sort of consensus and if the members are on board with a change then they would have a further look into it.

There wouldn't be a change to the desktop site as such ? The thing on which we need "consensus" is whether we want :
a. a csc app for ios and android, and / or
b. for the site to be both "desktop friendly" and "mobile friendly" ?

Is that right ? If so, I think all would in favor of one or both.

Reply #117

I'm not fussed either way as I use my phone, tablet and PC to access CSC and have never had any issues.  However, if having an app will make it easier for folk to contribute to discussions/debates about our great footy club, I'm all for it.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #118
There wouldn't be a change to the desktop site as such ? The thing on which we need "consensus" is whether we want :

I think he would be looking at updating the whole site which may mean some change but I'm certain it would be in a similar format to this as are other forums when you access them via web browser
L

Reply #119

I’m in favor of whichever option is easiest for spanner to implement, be it a full blown app or improved mobile friendliness.
Either of these two options are improvements to the site in general, independent of whether the dinosaurs use them... ????
Either should improve the traffic.
Let’s go BIG !