Skip to main content
Topic: 2015-Rnd 2 West Coast vs Carlton (Read 69740 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: 2015 AFL Season - Rnd 2 West Coast vs Carlton

Reply #30
Let's give Jones a few games to find his feet before we bury him. Not really the best game to make judgements. Let's be honest , the players we lost from just last year , Waite , Robbo, Garlett , we haven't picked up anyone to "take" there spots

Reply #31
Jones took one mark for the entire game and that is simply not good enough for a key forward whose marking is supposed to be his strength.  He didn't lead or make position but seemed to follow Henderson around.  Even if the delivery was poor, and I believe poor positioning by the forwards contributed to that, he should have at least marked one or two kick ins.  In contrast, Riewoldt had 8 marks and Griffiths got 6.

The other issue with Jones is that he is just a forward and that unbalanced the side with Rowe being forced to go into the ruck.  In fact, in his short time in the forward line, Rowe was more competitive and a better target than Jones.

If Jones could play to his potential, he would be a champion.  Sadly, I don't think that will happen.

He was on target for 176 for 2015 at qtr time...lol,

Reply #32
Let's give Jones a few games to find his feet before we bury him. Not really the best game to make judgements. Let's be honest , the players we lost from just last year , Waite , Robbo, Garlett , we haven't picked up anyone to "take" there spots

Add Betts to that list too   :(

We really are relying on fringe players, both from other clubs and our draftees/rookies, to develop into A and B graders.

I'm not against Jones getting a couple of games to show whether he is up to it but we must have back up for Wood (or Warnock) in the ruck.  Whoever that is can't spend the rest of the game in a key defensive post.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #33
Totally agree , maybe they were thinking we will have a team of swing men? Yes Betts as well, there's most of our previous forward line. Think we might end up regretting aiming for a team of boy scouts , instead a team of footballers

Reply #34
Natanui is smashing Minson, doesn't bode well for us!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #35
Natanui is smashing Minson, doesn't bode well for us!
Not at all. Natanui is the X Factor in the WC list. If he starts to produce, then their midfield becomes a lot more powerful. he has so much unfulfilled potential that it is frightening.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #36
 Out: Daisy 4-6, Jaksch (ribs,2) , (Yarran ???? knee)

In: Tutt (speed, goal sense), Casboult (simply have to, balance) , (Is Walker fit yet? or Whiley/Dick/Bryne [why not])

We trusted Rowe on some big reputations last year, he has JK; Nic Nat is the main concern, maybe huge left field could be White, he seems to be our serial pest, gets under their skin; stick with Curnow on Pridis but sub him in the third for Smith to take over (no one would expect that!!)
Have to become unpredictable, because what is thrown up is appalling, and everyone would know what we bring to the table is very beatable.

I was there, Blight missed!!!

Reply #37
Interesting that Natanui didn't take any marks (neither did Minson).

It seems that Mitch Brown has torn am ACL and is out for the season.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #38
Jones took one mark for the entire game and that is simply not good enough for a key forward whose marking is supposed to be his strength.  He didn't lead or make position but seemed to follow Henderson around.  Even if the delivery was poor, and I believe poor positioning by the forwards contributed to that, he should have at least marked one or two kick ins.  In contrast, Riewoldt had 8 marks and Griffiths got 6.

The other issue with Jones is that he is just a forward and that unbalanced the side with Rowe being forced to go into the ruck.  In fact, in his short time in the forward line, Rowe was more competitive and a better target than Jones.

If Jones could play to his potential, he would be a champion.  Sadly, I don't think that will happen.

Jones isnt a push and shove merchant and that means he has to take the speccy over the back or make a decent lead which relies on good delivery...the latter is an issue because we
dont use the ball well like the top teams and marking from behind is low percentage option.
He needs instruction on how to work his opponent off the ball and use his size better...look like he has had no instruction at the bulldogs at all......
I'd rather pay Fev to come back and work with the kid on his weak areas, Fev can teach Casboult how to kick as well....

Reply #39

Jones isnt a push and shove merchant and that means he has to take the speccy over the back or make a decent lead which relies on good delivery...the latter is an issue because we
dont use the ball well like the top teams and marking from behind is low percentage option.
He needs instruction on how to work his opponent off the ball and use his size better...look like he he no instruction at the bulldogs at all......

Or maybe EB he's just not good enough or doesn't have the focus and determination to better himself, and that's why the Doggies, desperate for tall forwards, let him go.
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #40
Or maybe EB he's just not good enough or doesn't have the focus and determination to better himself, and that's why the Doggies, desperate for tall forwards, let him go.

Yep...fair points Carrots and thats why he is on his second and probably last chance....his defensive work at the Dogs led him to being dropped and getting offside
with McCartney who was big on the 1%ers and Jones didnt want to chase, harass and keep the ball in the forward 50 enough.
Mick is a different coach who is prepared to let players off the hook if they dominate in other areas of the game ie Dane Swan.
Will be interesting to see how patient Mick is with Jones  if his job starts looking shaky...

Reply #41

He apparently trained solo for six weeks over the official player holiday period just to present himself in good condition to Carlton!

Doesn't sound like a bloke who lacks focus or determination, but I admit his history is chequered so perhaps his slate starts in 2015.

Lets focus on his future for now, that is what we want not his past!

My real concern here, we seem to be accumulating blokes who show potential but fail to deliver because they lack confidence! Casboult, Watson, Warnock, Rowe, Curnow, Jones, Bell, Everitt, etc., etc.. I think it's time to get some blokes who over-deliver because they think they are indestructible!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #42
Why we can beat WCE:

Bullies are a middle of the road team, like us and WCE struggled to overcome them.
They have no key backman left. Bring in The Bolt and add him to Hendeson, Jones and Menzel to really stretch them.
They are returning from a road trip.
We have a good record on the road.
We have a good record at Subi.
We can't play any worse.
WCE aren't that great!

Convinced??

Reply #43
@townsend.

The stacking he forward ine wilth talls, will only work if we dominate the midfield and give them enough opportunity.

To be honest,  I think we have too many difficencies in other parts of the grond for that to work.

Reply #44
We need to bring in some speed but I don't know where it will come from, Hendo needs to play back. I fear another hiding is on the cards. Hello 0-2.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time