Skip to main content
Topic: 2015 Rd2 Carlton vs West Coast Post Match Pain & Suffering (Read 58230 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: 2015 Rd2 Carlton vs West Coast Post Match Pain & Suffering

Reply #150
We dropped them back yet they were nowhere to be seen when Kennedy led for the ball..he always seemed to be leading to space with a bunch of
our blokes trailing him....they didnt want to get in Kennedys path, it was like Barry Hall was playing...

I never said that we were effective at it, nor that our players enjoyed doing it.

What i'm saying is that it was tried as a tactic which many were criticising our coach for NOT doing. We did it, but the players couldn't do it correctly. Not enough heart, balls or brains.

FWIW, if we were doing it effectively, Kennedy wouldn't have been on the end of the passes. So think about all the goals that the eagles got from OTHER players and that may have been when we successfully blocked kennedys run at the ball/space. ;)

Reply #151
What i'm saying is that it was tried as a tactic which many were criticising our coach for NOT doing. We did it, but the players couldn't do it correctly. Not enough heart, balls or brains.

Reminds me of the Simpsons where Mr Burns tells Darryl Strawberry to hit a home run, he does it and Burns takes the credit. Mick isn't paid a million bucks to tell them what to do, he is paid a million to get them to do it.

Reply #152
We dropped them back yet they were nowhere to be seen when Kennedy led for the ball..he always seemed to be leading to space with a bunch of
our blokes trailing him....they didnt want to get in Kennedys path, it was like Barry Hall was playing...

They did a great job of creating space for him... But our guys were happy to be standing next to Jamie Cripps ont the wing, and point the finger back at the defence, then using some initiative and fill the hole.

And there was Liam Jones. Who stood In the  one spot for 10
Mins. And when we did get it he ran back towards goal asking for them to bomb it on his head.

Won't play past round 6
"We are a club in a hurry"

#united #reset

Reply #153
And there was Liam Jones. Who stood In the  one spot for 10
Mins. And when we did get it he ran back towards goal asking for them to bomb it on his head.

Won't play past round 6

That long?

It's easy to see why Jones isn't rated by other clubs.  It's a pity because he does show the occasional glimpse of what it takes to be an outstanding key forward.  I hope I'm proved wrong.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #154
That long?

It's easy to see why Jones isn't rated by other clubs.  It's a pity because he does show the occasional glimpse of what it takes to be an outstanding key forward.  I hope I'm proved wrong.
I hope so too, but I really don't see it happening. He may work like a Trojan at training, but come game day he doesn't work hard enough and he puts very little defensive pressure on.
In a better club he would look better as he would have to do less: more talent around would allow him more latitude and he would benefit. But we don't have that talent base, so we can't carry a guy like him for long.
I had hopes that he could concentrate and be the player he could be, but it looks like my hopes were unreasonable.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #155
It's not as if Hendo had done any better up forward.

The key problem is the midfield - it has gone AWOl big time - Murphy, gibbs, cARROTS, cURNOW giving zip.
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #156
It's not as if Hendo had done any better up forward.

The key problem is the midfield - it has gone AWOl big time - Murphy, gibbs, cARROTS, cURNOW giving zip.

You make a very strong and valid point. In both first quarters of our first 2 games, our mids were on top and getting the clearances. The forwards were able to lead because the defence couldn't run back and stack up. Leaving us to bomb the ball in in heavy congested contested marking. Our mids and ruck need to work harder and more clever. Once we move the ball quick from a clearance we catch the defenders off guard, and in plenty of one on one work against our forwards. Chasing players on a lead becomes far more difficult. As do intercepted marks and turnovers.

When we ever had our midfield and running players rule with quick clearances we have looked dangerous. Whether we had Fev, Waite, Betts or Henderson up forward. We sometimes need the forwards to move up to the 50m line to isolate Henderson types to work one on one more often. Hence set up a defencive line for the rebounding defenders to have to penetrate. Its something the coaches need to consider and teach. Its something the players need to learn and practice. However with lazy players in the middle of the ground, any game plan is just a hit and miss, with a poor conversion based on our talent with KPP's.

Go talk to Mick and make it happen mate. You might surprise yourself, and he may listen to you. ;)
This digital world is too much for us insects to understand.

Reply #157
That long?

Highlight reel player, will probably come out and kick 5 vs the Saints and we will think great he has arrived but then he wont do anything for another 4-5 games then tease
us again...as Shadesy said he doesnt work hard enough and lets forget about the goals even I just want to see him play 100 mins instead of a few highlights fro 10 mins.
Needs some education away from the goals IMO....

Reply #158
Amazing, the Doggies crying out for forwards and he couldn't get a gig, surely that say plenty about where he as at as a footballer. At first I wasn't too upset as it was pick #42 but in hindsight pick #42 probably could've got us Blaine.
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #159
I never said that we were effective at it, nor that our players enjoyed doing it.

FWIW, if we were doing it effectively, Kennedy wouldn't have been on the end of the passes. So think about all the goals that the eagles got from OTHER players and that may have been when we successfully blocked kennedys run at the ball/space. ;)

Back when teams played two ruckmen, one would usually drop into the spot.  If I remember correctly, Wood did get back for one mark inside defensive 50 but it would be a huge ask to expect a lone ruckman to do it regularly.

Our defenders seem more focused on individual defence rather than team defence, but who knows what the plan is?

“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #160
Our defenders seem more focused on individual defence rather than team defence, but who knows what the plan is?

Both are symptoms of finger-pointing and poor communication, on the field and in the coaches box!
The Force Awakens!