Skip to main content
Topic: 2015-Rnd 3 Carlton vs Essendon (Read 72178 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: 2015-Rnd 3 Carlton vs Essendon

Reply #31
Neither can I...but we shouldn't say it publicly....we'll look silly if we lose ;)

If we win Mick better get out of the coaches box and twirl his jacket!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #32
Is Watson fit?
He's not much good but he's better than Jones.
The only thing in this world worth more than a hill of beans is the Carlton Football Club.

Reply #33
Is Watson fit?

Watson is on the outer, can't wait for him to come in, play well and then listen to Mick tell us that it's his self belief holding him back.
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #34
I am an eternal optimist  8) but the last 3/4 of last night's game reminds me so much of the Port Adelaide massacre last year  :-[, after which I was so pissed off  >:( that I did not go to the final game against the Bummers.

So, even though the glass seems broken (rather than half full or even half empty) I will make the trek to the G next week in the hope of being pleasantly surprised  :o :)

Reply #36
Is Watson fit?

I'm not a fan of Watson but Jones was so ordinary and Watsons last game vs Essendon was good so I would give Watson a game this week in the seniors and Jones would
be playing CHB in the NB's learning how to work harder and compete more often..

Reply #37
I am an eternal optimist  8) but the last 3/4 of last night's game reminds me so much of the Port Adelaide massacre last year  :-[, after which I was so pissed off  >:( that I did not go to the final game against the Bummers.

So, even though the glass seems broken (rather than half full or even half empty) I will make the trek to the G next week in the hope of being pleasantly surprised :o :)

You really are an irrespressible optimist  ;) Sadly, any success we may or may not have against the Bummers will be directly proportionate to whether the Bummers are playing well or not. Hopefully, not!
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #38
We just need three or four more taggers, maybe five and it's in the bag.

You can fool some of the people some of the time.......................................

Reply #39
We just need three or four more taggers, maybe five and it's in the bag.

Yes, if we put a stopper on every opponent we are sure to win! ;)
The Force Awakens!

Reply #40
It might seem like deck chairs on the titanic but a change in attitude and personnel would go a long way to improving the situation.  Chess is played many ways using the same pieces.

If there was ever an opportunity for a line in the sand game, its this one.

1.  Turn up ready to play 4 quarters and have a real go.  That's your job Mick.
2.  Murph - if you cross that line, you're fit.  Otherwise take a break and get right because you're embarrassing yourself.
2.  Find the correct match ups and go with them.  Its called doing homework. How can we beat the junkies?   How do we shut down their playmakers? Who will sit on Heppell and Jab?  Pick a balanced side i.e. blokes that can out a full game for starters as they died against the Swans.  Some pace would also be a novel idea.
2.  Piss off this going sideways bomb long to a contest down the line crap and play a faster brand of straight down the guts footy.  Slow ball movement  is death in footy.  I also reckon that blokes like Touhy have gone backwards because  the "gameplan" stifles natural footy.  Let them play!  How can forwards be expected to function when the ball comes via the cape every time?
3. Sorry, but Liam Jones is a deadest liability.  I was castigated for claiming he was a wasted draft pick but it was very clear why he was playing at Willy.  One mark on Friday, where it dropped on his chest - but worse still - no pressure at ground level.  I'd put the acid on Watson to be the man across half  forward. 
4.  Play Henderson in defence. I still reckon he is our best current big man as his lateral movement is so much better than the others.  Pity he won't be here next year.
5.  Persist with Casboult.  Yes his kicking is awful but I thought he got involved around the ground and at least gave us a target unlike that spud Jones.  He has some presence and makes defenders look around.  I thought he got better as the game went on.
6.  Put the acid on the likes of Gibbs to get serious or spend next week in the magoos.  23 more worthless possessions on Friday night I am yet to see.  The constant kicking round the body to avoid physical contact made me want to spew up!  If we wanted that crap we would have kept Robbo.
7.  Play Buckley and Boekhorst.   I'd like to see Cripps play also if fit.  Tutt can make way for either of the first two.  Buckley is critical IMO with his pace and bleeds-for-Carlton attitude, which we need so badly right now.  Instructions to Boekhorst are simple; get wide of the contest and run your ass off.  Be that damaging outside player you were in the WAFL.
8.  Curnow can regain some touch in the twos...  Rowe can join him if he can find his way to Cramer Street, he looks utterly lost ATM.
9.  Tell Yarran that playing in defence means that  beating his man is the first, second and third priority... and that if he loses a one-on-one in a soft manner again he'll be doing one-on-one contest work at training for the next month.  I'd give him a run higher up the ground (wing or centre) if the chance offers... Mick has to ensure that Yarran is not dragged to a back pocket by his opponent and nullified (then isolated).
10.  Tell Menzel to play the role he is supposed to play - as a smart forward, not some kind of defacto midfielder.
11.  Play Touhy from a wing as he isn't a small defender's bootlaces.  His natural footy is to run in a straight line and attack... KISS.  I'd be keen to give him a run on the ball as well.
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #41
0-3 after this game. We don't have the cattle to compete against these drug cheats. Maybe if they lose 5 guys this weekend we may get within 5 goals. Won't hold my breath.
This digital world is too much for us insects to understand.

Reply #42
It might seem like deck chairs on the titanic but a change in attitude and personnel would go a long way to improving the situation.  Chess is played many ways using the same pieces.

If there was ever an opportunity for a line in the sand game, its this one.

1.  Turn up ready to play 4 quarters and have a real go.  That's your job Mick.
2.  Murph - if you cross that line, you're fit.  Otherwise take a break and get right because you're embarrassing yourself.
2.  Find the correct match ups and go with them.  Its called doing homework. How can we beat the junkies?   How do we shut down their playmakers? Who will sit on Heppell and Jab?  Pick a balanced side i.e. blokes that can out a full game for starters as they died against the Swans.  Some pace would also be a novel idea.
2.  Piss off this going sideways bomb long to a contest down the line crap and play a faster brand of straight down the guts footy.  Slow ball movement  is death in footy.  I also reckon that blokes like Touhy have gone backwards because  the "gameplan" stifles natural footy.  Let them play!  How can forwards be expected to function when the ball comes via the cape every time?
3. Sorry, but Liam Jones is a deadest liability.  I was castigated for claiming he was a wasted draft pick but it was very clear why he was playing at Willy.  One mark on Friday, where it dropped on his chest - but worse still - no pressure at ground level.  I'd put the acid on Watson to be the man across half  forward. 
4.  Play Henderson in defence. I still reckon he is our best current big man as his lateral movement is so much better than the others.  Pity he won't be here next year.
5.  Persist with Casboult.  Yes his kicking is awful but I thought he got involved around the ground and at least gave us a target unlike that spud Jones.  He has some presence and makes defenders look around.  I thought he got better as the game went on.
6.  Put the acid on the likes of Gibbs to get serious or spend next week in the magoos.  23 more worthless possessions on Friday night I am yet to see.  The constant kicking round the body to avoid physical contact made me want to spew up!  If we wanted that crap we would have kept Robbo.
7.  Play Buckley and Boekhorst.   I'd like to see Cripps play also if fit.  Tutt can make way for either of the first two.  Buckley is critical IMO with his pace and bleeds-for-Carlton attitude, which we need so badly right now.  Instructions to Boekhorst are simple; get wide of the contest and run your ass off.  Be that damaging outside player you were in the WAFL.
8.  Curnow can regain some touch in the twos...  Rowe can join him if he can find his way to Cramer Street, he looks utterly lost ATM.
9.  Tell Yarran that playing in defence means that  beating his man is the first, second and third priority... and that if he loses a one-on-one in a soft manner again he'll be doing one-on-one contest work at training for the next month.  I'd give him a run higher up the ground (wing or centre) if the chance offers... Mick has to ensure that Yarran is not dragged to a back pocket by his opponent and nullified (then isolated).
10.  Tell Menzel to play the role he is supposed to play - as a smart forward, not some kind of defacto midfielder.
11.  Play Touhy from a wing as he isn't a small defender's bootlaces.  His natural footy is to run in a straight line and attack... KISS.  I'd be keen to give him a run on the ball as well.

Some good thoughts Prof ....its obvious Touhy wants to kick goals and attack...defending isnt his natural game...I'd play him half forward and let him run free...
Yarran also needs to be further away from goal....doesnt concentrate as well when close to goal and gives away silly frees.
Curnow needs to learn how to attack and kick the footy..Whiley would be my replacement, bigger /stronger and able to play on a greater range of opponents..
Menzel gets lost up the ground and is better near goals..lacks a yard to be playing midfield IMO..
Buckley and Boekhorst are both slightly built players so we need to be careful with them but they cant be worse that Tutt and Ellard...
Henderson to CHB..its a no brainer..
Play Cripps for sure but I feel this kid needs a season or two to get used to playing AFL as his body even though on the big side seems a bit fragile and he is injury prone...
Casboult...yep I'd play him but make him learn to kick, at training he would do nothing else if I was coaching and I'd employ a expert or two to fix that ball drop...

Reply #43
If we win Mick better get out of the coaches box and twirl his jacket!

If Essendon beat the Hawks, perhaps they'll get a bit cocky and forget to show up against us. Definitely up for a bit of jacket action should we win  :))

Reply #44
So....How are we going to go against Essendon?

We have a Malthouse thread folks....could we take the discussion over there.
I don't mind splitting topics, but it gets to be a bit of a chore when we have to split and merge a lot of threads.
Could people be bit kind and help us out by trying to keep all coach stuff in the relative ones...(the Rebuild, the Malthouse thread...even the post match one)

(the last couple of pages are now in the Malthouse thread)