Skip to main content
Topic: 2016 Ladder - Going Early (Read 19536 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: 2016 Ladder - Going Early

Reply #15
And never looked liked progressing.  They wont win a flag with this group.
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #17
Cats might have a better 2016 but I reckon they will fade quickly - they have zero depth.  Other than Dangerfield they recruited little but coughed up a lot and sold their future to assemble a list that looks shallow and has questionable upside.

Norf are another mob that are waaaaaaaaaay over rated.  Can't believe the dream run they get with the football media.

Agree with both statements, Scott will be desperate for a flag to prove himself given his first was a bit of a token premiership. North are so overated it's hilarious, always get a lucky fluke run with whoever they play in finals and manage to make it to a prelim which flatters them a lot. Team full of has beens and never gonnabes.

Reply #18
GWS and GC ripping all the best talent from 4 or so drafts has made made it possible to get away with average lists and still go ok.

Hawks could win it again .

You can fool some of the people some of the time.......................................

Reply #19
Agree, Hawks by miles. You can take as much of my money as you want

Reply #20
Roos might bradbury their way to a flag but thats about it

Think about it. How hard is it to win a premiership? I would much rather be thereabouts than no mans land.
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #21
I'd certainly much prefer to be making progress with a developing group in a lower ladder position than falling short with a number of ageing players, which is where North is at in my estimation. They would indeed need a Bradbury incident.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #22
Im not wanting to be critical of others choices, just curious, are people's ladders based on where they rate the sides, or have they looked at the fixture?

The fixture makes a bigger difference to anything these days I think as its geared about making it harder for the top 6, easier for the bottom 6, and so so for the middle 6 whilst maximising revenue.

"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #23
^^

That's exactly what I did with mine.
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #24
Think about it. How hard is it to win a premiership? I would much rather be thereabouts than no mans land.

Ask a Doggies fan if they would give up all their prelim appearances for a flag, but they'd say yes.

What if Carlton could win the 2000 premiership and all we had to do was lose the 99 prelim, would you say yes?

Reply #25
Ask a Doggies fan if they would give up all their prelim appearances for a flag, but they'd say yes.

What if Carlton could win the 2000 premiership and all we had to do was lose the 99 prelim, would you say yes?

But we are not talking about winning a flag here. There is never any guarantee that by building you will be able to challenge. I would rather be up there playing consistent finals football, what with FA now as well, you need to be up there to attract good talent.
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #26
WHAT?!?

We are talking about winning a flag, both Lance and Prof E both said North had no chance and you said you rather be up than in no mans land.

If we are not building towards a premiership then what are we doing? At the start of every season you have teams aiming for a premiership and those building for a future tilt. If you're not doing either then why are you in the AFL?

I would gladly take another year on the bottom if it meant a more solid foundation, we tried the quick skim and get a big name, which left us with no depth and with the inclusion of the expansion teams, little chance to draft depth either. I would rather draft and trade for our foundation (which we seem to be doing) and have sustained success with multiple chances at a flag even if it meant a year longer on the bottom.

Ask Ross Lyon if he's happy with finals appearances, 1st counts and every one else finishes equal last.

Reply #27
I think you'll find Lyon has already answered your question, and most would agree. ;)

Re winning a flag, I said I would rather be up there than down the bottom. YOU then spoke about winning a flag which was not part of my statement. Quite simply, I would rather be where North are as opposed to where we are and most people pay out on them but they run a very successful operation down there and I for one am quite envious. Just because some don't see them as serious challengers does not mean they are not trying to seriously challenge.
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #28
You can only give yourself an opportunity - no one rated Collingwood either but they got there.

Reply #29
1   West Coast
2   Sydney
3   Geelong
4   Port Adelaide
5   Hawthorn
6   North Melbourne
7   Western Bulldogs
8   Collingwood

9   Adelaide
10   GWS
11   Melbourne
12   Fremantle
13   Richmond
14   Gold Coast
15   St Kilda
16   Essendon
17   Carlton
18   Brisbane

I think Fyfe's injury and a lack of KPF will hurt Freo this year. Expect them to be the big sliders. Tough draw for them too considering they finished on top last year.

Also expect Hawthorn to drop a few games, will still be a challenge come finals though. If Selwood gets over his plantar fasciitis, Geelong will have an enviable midfield and will be hard to beat.

Sydney will be back to their best. I personally rate theirs as the best midfield in the comp, especially when you factor in depth. West Coast will be the team to beat though in the top of the ladder.

It's hard to see where Brisbane will get a win. Many are predicting the scum to bottom out, but they'll win enough to avoid a wooden spoon, and I'm glad of that. I don't want them receiving a #1 pick. Personally I would prefer if they finished 10th every year (9th reserved for Richmond).  We're not going to win many (I have us winning 3 to Brisbane's 2 and the Scum's 4), but a number 2 pick and a similar approach at the trade table will see us bring in the cream of the midfield crop at next years draft. 2016 will be about getting games into kids and rebuilding the culture.

Richmond are my tip for the years biggest disappointment. With a tougher draw and the fact that they brought little in to the club and weren't particularly hurt by injuries last year, I just don't see where their improvement is coming from. With other teams around them rebounding from disappointing 2015 seasons (Port Adelaide and Geelong) plus the improvement of teams like Collingwood, GWS and Melbourne, I think the Tiges will slide. Hardwick is also my tip for first coach sacked.