Skip to main content
Topic: 2016 Ladder - Going Early (Read 19533 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: 2016 Ladder - Going Early

Reply #30
I think you'll find Lyon has already answered your question, and most would agree. ;)

Re winning a flag, I said I would rather be up there than down the bottom. YOU then spoke about winning a flag which was not part of my statement. Quite simply, I would rather be where North are as opposed to where we are and most people pay out on them but they run a very successful operation down there and I for one am quite envious. Just because some don't see them as serious challengers does not mean they are not trying to seriously challenge.

I'm sure they are trying to challenge, as I said before you're either aiming for a flag or trying to rebuild for one. I find it odd that you are envious of North, I'm envious of Hawthorn and before them Sydney and Geelong.

When you look at North's age demographic, you would expect half of their best players to be retire by the end of 2017. Ages this year; Harvey 38, Petrie 34, Firrito Waite 33, Dal Santo 32, Wells 31, Thompson Gibson 30, Swallow Thomas 29. All of these player are 30 or over at the end of 2017. Goldstein, Hansen and Higgins will all be turning 30 leaving Ziebell and Cunnington turning 27 and Brown Atley and Jacobs turning 26 in 2018 and right in their best years of their career, due to Norths high-ish finishes and win now mentality, their list depth is not much.

So why in two years time would their younger guns want to stay there? I can see North losing players to free agency, especially if they don't get a flag this season, how many teams would want a 27 yo Cunnington or Ziebell to give their up and coming side some real grunt, or a 26yo Brown as a focal point or the speed of a 26 yo Atley coming off half back?

To me North is not in a great position, they are very old, short down back and a bit one way when the game is against them. I just can't see them doing any good, and when they go down the bottom in the not too distant future, lets see if they have 30,000 members by Christmas off a wooden spoon.

Reply #31
Of course they will bottom out, but they have been up there and had a decent crack and in today's game, that is some form of success.
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #32
Most has essendon last anyway but for those that didn't a quick edit may be warranted

Reply #35
Whilst I want pick 1, I reckon even SOS will be happy to get number 2 if it delivers Essendon a spoon.
Maybe we can ask for a priority pick again. If we finish 17th and the only team below us are the Drug Cheats, we should be a certainty.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #36
The idea that their punishment for cheating so disables them that they finish last... and then are rewarded with a no. 1 pick seems absolutely preposterous. This will have to be looked at.
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #37
The idea that their punishment for cheating so disables them that they finish last... and then are rewarded with a no. 1 pick seems absolutely preposterous. This will have to be looked at.

Mate from what I can gather, they will be getting priority picks as well. #1 and #2 along with #19 and #20. Gill is an absolute dumb fork.
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #38
Reckon they will be gunning for the No 1 pick and happy to finish last.....

Yes, they will be in rebuild mode and will try to make some future positives out of this for sure - mad if they don't especially if they can con some special concessions out of the AFL. Be interesting to see what the other clubs might have to say though - possible cr@pstorm on the horizon.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #39
Mate from what I can gather, they will be getting priority picks as well. #1 and #2 along with #19 and #20. Gill is an absolute dumb fork.
I can't see Essendon getting this: it is just too raw. We have a realistic chance of getting a PP. For Essendon to get one would not be acceptable to anyone else.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #40
So have we determined whether these players are deregistered / delisted or if Essendon can trade them at the end of the season?

Reply #42
They won't be getting priority picks. ::)
They'll have half at least half a dozen experienced senior player returning in 2017.

Even if they finish last, which I'm not as certain of as some will happen, this is just a hiccup for them if the players stick.(that's the unknown)
It's a year in the wilderness...then back on track.
During that time they'll have an opportunity to blood and fast-track a whole group of players.
It's not the same as what happened to us.

Reply #43
They won't be getting priority picks. ::)
They'll have half at least half a dozen experienced senior player returning in 2017.

Even if they finish last, which I'm not as certain of as some will happen, this is just a hiccup for them if the players stick.(that's the unknown)
It's a year in the wilderness...then back on track.
During that time they'll have an opportunity to blood and fast-track a whole group of players.
It's not the same as what happened to us.

Difference is Lods....every single young player with talent will be worked over by a number of clubs trying to promote their club as a caring club that puts their players first. Young players, and families of young players, have already said they are not happy with the bombers and the way the whole drugs issue has gone through the whole club. Given the chance, you will probably see a mass exodus of young talent.

Hell, you might even see senior blokes wanting out after they were forced to sit out the year thanks to the clubs incompetence/pushing the boundaries.

Doubt you'd see many stars nominating the bombers as their destination of choice anytime soon.

This will haunt Essendon for as long as the salary cap issues have haunted us.

....and i love it!

Reply #44
Difference is Lods....every single young player with talent will be worked over by a number of clubs trying to promote their club as a caring club that puts their players first. Young players, and families of young players, have already said they are not happy with the bombers and the way the whole drugs issue has gone through the whole club. Given the chance, you will probably see a mass exodus of young talent.

Hell, you might even see senior blokes wanting out after they were forced to sit out the year thanks to the clubs incompetence/pushing the boundaries.

Doubt you'd see many stars nominating the bombers as their destination of choice anytime soon.

This will haunt Essendon for as long as the salary cap issues have haunted us.

....and i love it!

That's quite likely...which is why I put the qualification "If the players stick".
If they don't it will be Bombergeddon
...but if they circle the wagons they may not be as wounded by this as we might think.
They've been able to still attract players to the club during the scandal.