Skip to main content
Topic: 2017 Rd 9: Post Game Patter: Carlton vs Fremantle (Read 16810 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: 2017 Rd 9: Post Game Patter: Carlton vs Fremantle

Reply #15
Entitled to your opinion but just remember one thing, 31 games into a total rebuild. We were a rudderless shambles of a club. We are now showing we can be competitive and when it goes well, we can match it with anyone. Problem is, we are still growing and need to get maturity into the newbies so they can sustain effort for longer periods. Curnow played game number 12 or something? We have seen glimpses of what he can do. If he is doing what he is now in 2-3 years time still, fine, have a crack. Its a slow process, piece by piece, be patient, there are clubs in alot worse of a state than us.

You've nailed it Cic.

People seem to forget about the rebuild.

Forget the umpires, it was our blokes not being good enough today that  were responsible for the flogging.

It is all part of what we have to go through climbing the ladder.. we'll get plenty more results like this in the next 2-3 years.

It's good to get games into the young blokes, but don't expect them to get great results for a while yet.

The improvement is showing, but it is going to be a long, slow process.

Finals around 2020 would be a good result.
I spent most of my money on Women and grog.
The rest I just wasted.

Reply #16
I actually thought they did quite well.  There was obviously an imbalance in the last quarter as we couldn't mark it in our F50 at all which was frustrating.

I am not completely disappointed at all, it was wet, ridiculously so at some points (altho they seemed to be handling a dry ball and we a wet ball?!) and of course the umpiring - but you will always get that interstate, always. We missed some easy shots in the first that would've put us way up - that's what we should Focus on.

Never mind, nice to watch Williamson thought he was great. The few that were caught were disappointing but we'll get there  ;D

Reply #17
Too many errors cost us yet again.
Once we went 2 men down early in the 3rd term, we were never going to win in those sorts of conditions.
Confused as to why Murph was being booed by some fans.
Get Sav to put some time into Jack.
Plowman cost us with some crucial errors.
SPS, Charlie, and a couple other kids were virtually invisible
Graham reminded me why I didnt see him in our future plans.
Michael Walters' over celebrating really gave me the s**ts.
The scoreboard flattered Freo in the end.

Reply #18

it was our blokes not being good enough today that  were responsible for the flogging.

Flogging is a bit harsh. I think 'spirited effort against the odds' would be more accurate.

Reply #19
A lot of similarities to the Saints game - the old firm played really well and the backline made it hard to score. But the kids in the midfield and forward line made very limited contributions which means we just can't score enough to trouble decent sides.

We made 2 tackles in our forward 50 for the game!! The young guys can't hit the scoreboard and the ball bounces straight back out most of the time it came in. If you can't put scoreboard pressure on then you are going to lose most games, and we have not made any improvement in this area and if anything you could mount an argument based on the stats that we are actually going backwards. We have scored 70 less points than Brisbane!!

Cas and Wright have been negated in the last 2 weeks and we have no Plan B to score. I think they need to keep mixing up - give Jones a crack to change the setup, or give KJ 3 weeks to save his career.

We are definitely brave and up for the fight, and we were down on rotations, but we just have too many guys who can't assert themselves over 4 quarters. And because we have no forward line we don't get reward for effort and butcher way too many scoring opportunities that we need to convert if we are going to become a good team.

Reply #20
Entitled to your opinion but just remember one thing, 31 games into a total rebuild. We were a rudderless shambles of a club. We are now showing we can be competitive and when it goes well, we can match it with anyone. Problem is, we are still growing and need to get maturity into the newbies so they can sustain effort for longer periods. Curnow played game number 12 or something? We have seen glimpses of what he can do. If he is doing what he is now in 2-3 years time still, fine, have a crack. Its a slow process, piece by piece, be patient, there are clubs in alot worse of a state than us.
Also, dont under estimate what it means to be 2 men down for such a long period of time. Rowe has been one of our more important players. Daisy runs hard and organises the kids out on the ground. The two rotations less hurt us more so than the shocking umpiring IMO.
And as for the Foxtel commentators, I know why I dont pay for a full Foxtel subscription. Unlistenable. (if that's not a word I just made one up).

Here here.

You've got to remember the limited base the kids are functioning on. You hear it endlessly how important PS is. The only factor more important is another PS. No doubt the kids like Samo and Charlie need to be well managed following injury and serious ill health. We need also to be mindful of the PS limitations of Crippa and young Marchbank. These young guys as well as Plowman for example, will take time and we need to be patient. They'll serve us well if we can manage them well.

Fortunately, our recruiters are well aware of the limits of youth (body - mind). I'm expecting we'll rely on the mature recruits more as the season takes it's toll. Right now the club's doing what it set out to do. Get games into the young ones. I think we're going OK to date. Most "experts" had us winning 1-2 games and we've snatched 3 already.

Go Blues
Coming together is the beginning.
Keeping together is progress.
Working together is success.
Henry Ford.

Reply #21
Wasn't a flogging.
We were still in the game until the last 10 mins.
Hard to run out a game well when you've been playing in the slog with 2 less players for half the game.

Reply #22
Stupid game plan of keepings off.  Yes it limits thrashings but we can't score.

We play keepings off BECAUSE we can't score.....and because its a simple game plan that the abundance of kids we have playing can actually get their heads around.

Been saying forever and a day that this year we couldn't expect much of a rise up the ladder for the simple fact we didn't address our forwardline/ability to kick goals in the off-season. Until we do (next offseason i hope) we can expect more of the same more often than not.

Reply #23
You know who that guy is? Only comes on when we lose which means we'll see less and less of him as the years go by. :)

"You took the words right out of my mouth". Luckily I don't remember the second part of that songline :P
Henry Ford.

Reply #24
We showed in the first Qtr we have the talent & the direction, lack of numbers , injuries hurt us in the second half. Credible performance, but the forward half needs work. SOJ missing gettable early goals cost us & so we didn't capitalise on our dominance . Next week will be an interesting line up Rowe main stay in out defence won't be there for a while, so we will be re tooling our line up.

Reply #25
Injuries took their toll and we looked shot by the second half when we returned to bad old carlton, spraying the ball high and long inside 50 but from too far out. We are making progress in defence which looks increasingly settled but lack forward movement and pace through the middle.

Hope rowe and thomas are ok, but the knee buckling looked bad.

With a young side, in the wet, 2 men down, over in the west, we were ALWAYS going to struggle to run out the game.

re Rowe, i think they said everything else BUT this in the coverage, but IMO, he's done his PCL aka Ruckmans injury.
That usually occurs when the lower leg gets pushed backwards at the knee....as in ruckmen bumping knees at centre bounces.

If that is the case, its better than ACL (12 months) and means he could be back sometimes this season.

Hopefully Jones' injury from the VFL isn't too bad as he should get a call up based on his efforts of late.

Reply #26
Yep, he's playing sore as well, but he obviously has a confidence issue.

SoJ looks like he doesn't want to take shots even when only 25 or 30 out!

We should be managing these kids, not flogging them!

Kicking like Casboult, poor ball drop....Cunningham is another who drops the ball differently and has trouble kicking in a hurry.....Sav could be a fulltime employee soon.
Thankfully we have Williamson who can be used to demonstrate how it should be done....

Reply #27
Re Rowe's injury
Comments I heard suggested it was a medial ligament.
We'll know tomorrow. He's been in top form for the last year and a half. What a blow for us all. Here's hoping it's on the lesser anyways.

All the best to Sam for a speedy recovery. We know he'll manage his rehabilitation with 100% commitment.
Henry Ford.

Reply #28
"You took the words right out of my mouth". Luckily I don't remember the second part of that songline :P

Unfortunately I do, might be a troubled sleep coming up. ;D

Reply #29
You know who that guy is? Only comes on when we lose which means we'll see less and less of him as the years go by. :)

Yep, irrelevant shill who is best ignored. This was a tough one for us and a character building experience. Hell we weren't smashed as we once would have been.
Reality always wins in the end.