Skip to main content
Topic: 2017 Rd 9: Post Game Patter: Carlton vs Fremantle (Read 16808 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: 2017 Rd 9: Post Game Patter: Carlton vs Fremantle

Reply #30
Makes me laugh how so many posters love to comment as soon as a player in particular a younger player looks sore, tired or hurt.

Then usually after a loss these posters accuse the club of mis treating these players by insisting we are playing them when they are injured or not resting when they should be rested.

Do we not trust in the conditioning 'professional' the club employs for this very role?

AFL is a tough sport. Players particularly young ones will be sore tired and hurt. Get used to it. Doesn't mean we are destroying their careers....doesn't mean we are not developing them the best way. 

Have faith guys. We are on the right track.

Reply #31
Unfortunately I do, might be a troubled sleep coming up. ;D
;D
Fortunately, our relations are virtual.
Rest easy...
Coming together is the beginning.
Keeping together is progress.
Working together is success.
Henry Ford.

Reply #32
F'ing rotten mongrel prick c0ck b4stard dog green maggot f@cks cost us that game in the second quarter with a string of arsehole decisions... They weren't even subtle about it. Stinking maggot pricks.
Love it.

Happens more often than not though.
BB should speak up. >:(
I know it's not the main reason why we lost though but they also shouldn't be part of the reason
2024... Moir of the same to come

Reply #33
im happy how we are progressing
especially the backline
Young guys need games and will get some collective inconsistency.
Need a crumbing forward pocket thief opportunist type.
and a nuggety in and under on baller.

the twos are going ok, which means they're developing and will create natural pressure for spots.
The fear of hardcore blow outs are gone...for once in a long time
for periods in 3-4 games (we lost) i thought we were a chance of winning. That gives me some hope at this early stage.

Reply #34
Umpiring cost us.  They were cheating.  We still have some spuds:

Nick graham.  Awful.
Charlie Curnow- Big question mark
Cunningham- no.
Not sure about zac fisher either.

Gibbs. 34 touches, 6 tackles, had no effect on game.

Stupid game plan of keepings off.  Yes it limits thrashings but we can't score.

Disappointing effort.

Gibbs disposal into our forward 50 was woeful...missed targets often after been given the ball and got me totally frustrated...was think of Spanner  and his reaction to Gibbs work ;)
Fisher ...I like, cool head under pressure but is still a small kid and needs more games to mature...
Cunningham....wasnt great  but not prepared to give him away yet, kicking isnt great and i think is more a dry weather player where he can cover the ground better...
SPS was also quiet and it wasnt a day for touch players apart from Walters who kicked three goals and broke the game open...
Charlie Curnow...hard job being used as a key forward type when our delivery is so bad, we just bombed the ball and Johnson marked all our miskicks....not sure we have found Charlie a position yet which  doesnt help his development...

Yep keepings off and then the long bomb forward to no one doesnt win many games...Freo got us on the rebound a couple of times and kicked easy goals and thats where the game was won, we matched them in most areas but probably let their class players have too much ball...Cripps with only 21 possies showed how tough Freo are around the middle of the ground.
Also if Wright doesnt contribute on the scoreboard we struggle and teams are putting more time into him...

Reply #35
There were two times that a Freo player played on from a mark or free kick,  I think it was Walter both times?,  that I'm not too sure about.
One time was a free I think against maybe Doc and he ran off the mark putting the umpire between himself and our defender. I don't think he would have been tackled but surely you can't use the ump for a block?
The other one was maybe a mark and the freo player was at the bottom of the pack but as soon as the other players got up he just ran off. Didnt take the ball back behind the mark.
Both times ended in goals to freo. Both in the third qtr I think.

Reply #36
"You took the words right out of my mouth". Luckily I don't remember the second part of that songline :P

I'm a realist.  I'm not 'that guy' who bags the club just for the sake of it.  I'm not sure we were in a shambles under Malthouse anyway.  Check the statistics.  Last time I looked, we made finals under him, then won about 6 games?  might have been 9 actually.  Yes we had one bad season under him, but about 5 of our senior players including Murph and Kreuzer didn't play.  I don't think we were any worse.  In fact we got rid of some of his recruits which we shouldn't have.  E.g Holman and that 18 year old that only got 1 game. Can't remember his name. Malthouse was a scapegoat.  Now we are trying to play an outdated Hawks gameplan which relies on keeping possession and uncontested marks.  They key now is to score through the corridor.

Reply #37
We were clearly beaten on the scoreboard in the 3rd, but to be honest I was watching the game really impressed. I liked the endeavor shown as well as the tackling, we got burnt on a few turnovers and that is what cost us.

The only think I didn't like was our delivery into the forward 50. Johnson was marking everything, yet we kept kicking long. We needed to lower our sights and also ensure some space in there, but we will learn from that.

Two weeks in a row we had a good reason to be severely dealt with and 2 weeks in a row we have performed okay. Whilst I would prefer we had even more kids being blooded, I am really happy with the way we are playing, when you consider the cattle we have on the park  and more importantly, the level of experience of that cattle.

More of the same and I will finish the season reasonable happy
Goals for 2017
=============
Play the most anti-social football in the AFL

Reply #38

Cunningham....wasnt great  but not prepared to give him away yet, kicking isnt great and i think is more a dry weather player where he can cover the ground better...

Charlie Curnow...hard job being used as a key forward type when our delivery is so bad, we just bombed the ball and Johnson marked all our miskicks....not sure we have found Charlie a position yet which  doesnt help his development...

I was content with Cunningham's effort - looked better than he has looked in the VFL

CCurnow suffered with Weitering playing in defence, which meant that Charlie was matched up by a better opponent.

Reply #39
I was content with Cunningham's effort - looked better than he has looked in the VFL

CCurnow suffered with Weitering playing in defence, which meant that Charlie was matched up by a better opponent.

Agree. We are expecting a lot to have a kid with less then 15 games to play the 2nd key forward role.

Thought Weitering was one of our better players down back but our forward structure is disfunctional and unlikely unless wright has a day out to kick a winning score.

Like how young fisher is coming along -EB picked it early but this kid has the smarts. Moves to the right places and I'm comfortable when he has the ball. Cunningham was far from our worse - reckon we need to give him a run of mutilple games.

Graham on the other hand is just a handy 2nds player. I've seen enough of him to conclude he doesn't have any of the necessary skills to have an impact at the top level. Disappointing because we are crying out for more players that can go through the midfield but reckon we need to stick with Fisher and Cunningham and maybe give smedts a decent run at.

Reply #40
Agree. We are expecting a lot to have a kid with less then 15 games to play the 2nd key forward role.

So C.Curnow gets a pass because 15 games isn't much for a kid to base a KPF role on, yet at the start of the season a lot of posters on here wanted Weitering to hold down the KPF role after only 20 games. Do five extra games make that much difference?

Seems a bit biased, what is OK for one is not OK for the other!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #41
So C.Curnow gets a pass because 15 games isn't much for a kid to base a KPF role on, yet at the start of the season a lot of posters on here wanted Weitering to hold down the KPF role after only 20 games. Do five extra games make that much difference?

Seems a bit biased, what is OK for one is not OK for the other!

I understand your point but not all kids coming into the system can do what others can. Don't have to look far, McKay and Weitering both KP players were taken in the same draft!

We have a very young forward structure, and while I might be splitting hairs a little, Weitering is more capable and ready then Charlie to take a key forward post IMO at this early stage. His young body is more developed has played double what Charlie has and has had an extra pre season.  Early in a players career that's massive difference.

He might still get banged up at times so he will need to be carefully managed but my point was with him there Charlie and even SOJ drop down the order of what defenders go to them, which helps them and in turn the team considerably.

Reply #42
I'm enjoying C Curnow running in the midfield at the moment. I wouldn't mind seeing him stay there.

Reply #43
Reading that question marks around some of our kids is laughable - spuds was even used for Charlie Curnow, Fisher and Cuningham. Haha...what a joke!

These kids ARE the future. They need the AFL body, maturity and development so give them some time and space for crying out loud!

We have plenty of spuds on our list, and these boys mentioned among other good kids, are not them!

Reply #44
Reading that question marks around some of our kids is laughable - spuds was even used for Charlie Curnow, Fisher and Cuningham. Haha...what a joke!

These kids ARE the future. They need the AFL body, maturity and development so give them some time and space for crying out loud!

We have plenty of spuds on our list, and these boys mentioned among other good kids, are not them!

Very well said!