Skip to main content
Topic: 2017 Rd 9: Post Game Patter: Carlton vs Fremantle (Read 16809 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: 2017 Rd 9: Post Game Patter: Carlton vs Fremantle

Reply #75
Dont think it was the weather...Freo's best 4 players had the ball around 30 times each, thats why we lost IMO and being caught on the rebound for some easy goals.....Neale had it 37 times...you wont win many games when the opposing teams best players have so much ball....

Definitely not.

Our Centre Set ups were awful and it started with our Leaders. Gibbs, Murph and Cripps in the middle of the ground were pounded. I would love to us have mixed it up with SPS, Charlie or Cunningham in the middle. They couldn't do much worse.

I walked away thinking exactly the same. There better players Neale, Walters, Fyfe, Johnson were better than our players. Ross has been using Walters around the ball a lot and it's a great move, Fyfe was way better than his stats suggested, and Neale just knocks up getting it.

We were smashed around the ball from quarter time and were always on the back foot.

Other notes:

- Small Defender - Small forwards are killing us all year. Matera, Billings, Walters/Crozier etc
 - Locking the Ball in our forward line - I think our stats had 14 inside 50 tackles to 2. In the last quarter we pressed and had some good looks inside 50, only for it to just hit the floor and bounce back out. So we need to find some pressure forwards as well.
 - Young - The scoreboard kept flashing stats of some of our players... 19,19,20, 21, 19. We are so young. Plow made some bad errors, but you can live with that as you know these guys will learn.
 - Jack's Goal Kicking - needs to work on it if he wants to become a forward of note.
 - Doc was immense.
"We are a club in a hurry"

#united #reset

Reply #76
I suppose so. Freo may not be world beaters, but they have developed into a gutsy, scrapping team. We are not exactly formidable opposition, but their ability to fight back and graft out some close victories would have to instill some kind of confidence.

I understand where Bolts is coming from to a degree - limiting the blow outs limits the "damage" to the players, but gives less opportunities to win, versus win at all costs by playing the in vogue game style, which may give more chances of victory, but also more spankings. He does at least have a plan that he's sticking to. But i still worry. Losing culture is hard to break. The longer we lose more than we win, the longer it takes to get up off the canvas. I'm not sure that the movement up the ladder is linear and simplistic. There's still enormous amounts of work to do, and lots of decisions that need we need to get right. And some luck, and the umps, and.............

One could also use the argument that playing like this betrays the coach's lack of confidence in his players, which may hurt them than it helps. Lots of ifs, buts and maybes.

Yeah, I get that but I am amazed that we manage to play this style of footy and pull it off.

Remember Richmond tried it and had to abandon it because they were so crap by foot and so undisciplined.

Three more quality mids and this style starts paying dividends.
You can fool some of the people some of the time.......................................

Reply #77
Definitely not.

Our Centre Set ups were awful and it started with our Leaders. Gibbs, Murph and Cripps in the middle of the ground were pounded. I would love to us have mixed it up with SPS, Charlie or Cunningham in the middle. They couldn't do much worse.

I walked away thinking exactly the same. There better players Neale, Walters, Fyfe, Johnson were better than our players. Ross has been using Walters around the ball a lot and it's a great move, Fyfe was way better than his stats suggested, and Neale just knocks up getting it.

We were smashed around the ball from quarter time and were always on the back foot.

Other notes:

- Small Defender - Small forwards are killing us all year. Matera, Billings, Walters/Crozier etc
 - Locking the Ball in our forward line - I think our stats had 14 inside 50 tackles to 2. In the last quarter we pressed and had some good looks inside 50, only for it to just hit the floor and bounce back out. So we need to find some pressure forwards as well.
 - Young - The scoreboard kept flashing stats of some of our players... 19,19,20, 21, 19. We are so young. Plow made some bad errors, but you can live with that as you know these guys will learn.
 - Jack's Goal Kicking - needs to work on it if he wants to become a forward of note.
 - Doc was immense.

Small defender has been an issue for a while...Simpson and Docherty are not your ultra defensive lock down types, I like the kid Stavrou in the NB's for this role....good mark for his size and contests well at ground level..
Jack has developed a ball drop issue, its become awkward in a Casboult manner...
Plowman is a mature player for his years and every defender has their off days..
I want my own small sneaky forward...Pickett has faded into the NB's and we seem to want to use Wright on the ball to the detriment of our goal scoring power...and Lebois seems to be making slow progress after injury..
Your man Luke Ryan?...is he AFL material? , cant believe he never got drafted/rookied at least by WC or Freo....

Reply #78
Yeah, I get that but I am amazed that we manage to play this style of footy and pull it off.

Remember Richmond tried it and had to abandon it because they were so crap by foot and so undisciplined.

Three more quality mids and this style starts paying dividends.

Hmm. I reckon we need 3 more good mids irrespective of how we play. And whilst we're shopping :

- 3 mids (as you suggest) - 1 to be like Cripps, and 2 Dylan Shiel types,
- 1 KPF
- 2 small forwards - like Puopolo, who can kick a goal, has pace, and can lock the ball in F50, something which has completely eluded us thus far.

Reply #79
I was like shadesy and at the game and the weather conditions definitely played a part. It was worse than the tv showed real torrential stuff. Our young guys just ran out of strength middle of each quarter and let them get back into it once they got back the almost silent crowd came to life and lifted them past us. Dockers also started to play wet weather football kicking and knocking in on at any cost where we kept on with dry stuff of setting it up for too long. Sandilands gave Fyfe and Neale an armchair ride and they kept belting it forward quick putting our backline under huge pressure which created mistakes.  Wet football in a nutshell. We certainly weren't thrashed as one poster said we just weren't strong enough for long enough, that will change with time and body shape. Was happy with the effort not the loss. Sandilands won the game with his ruck work,Kreuzer just not big enough. In the wet he was twice as tall and his tap work superb. Freo will be crap again once he retires or gets injured

Reply #80
Hmm. I reckon we need 3 more good mids irrespective of how we play. And whilst we're shopping :

- 3 mids (as you suggest) - 1 to be like Cripps, and 2 Dylan Shiel types,
- 1 KPF
- 2 small forwards - like Puopolo, who can kick a goal, has pace, and can lock the ball in F50, something which has completely eluded us thus far.

Probably. We could always use more and better players. I'm happy with Harry's progress to date and would love some super competitive small forwards, I just think 3 very good (maybe one or more elite) would be terrific. Hopefully SPS becomes one of these.
You can fool some of the people some of the time.......................................

Reply #81
Interesting that Freo's reigning F & B player, Lachie neale stands at only 177cm and weighs in under 80kg.....

It's not all about height, weight etc. Smarts still count for a heck of a lot.

Of the Doggies mids, who there is lightning quick? Maybe Dalhaus....
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #82
I was like shadesy and at the game and the weather conditions definitely played a part. It was worse than the tv showed real torrential stuff. Our young guys just ran out of strength middle of each quarter and let them get back into it once they got back the almost silent crowd came to life and lifted them past us. Dockers also started to play wet weather football kicking and knocking in on at any cost where we kept on with dry stuff of setting it up for too long. Sandilands gave Fyfe and Neale an armchair ride and they kept belting it forward quick putting our backline under huge pressure which created mistakes.  Wet football in a nutshell. We certainly weren't thrashed as one poster said we just weren't strong enough for long enough, that will change with time and body shape. Was happy with the effort not the loss. Sandilands won the game with his ruck work,Kreuzer just not big enough. In the wet he was twice as tall and his tap work superb. Freo will be crap again once he retires or gets injured

Good post, sum's it up nicely.