Skip to main content
Topic: Post Game Passion: AFL 2019 Rd 17: Carlton vs. Sydney (Read 12089 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Post Game Passion: AFL 2019 Rd 17: Carlton vs. Sydney

Reply #75
Is Sav still there. He just seemed to rush every time...

Yes i believe he is still there. At least he was when i went to the family day early in the year. Asked him about Levi's kicking and he said he was doing ok. However i have not sen him on the bench lately. He was always there as part of the coaching group.

Reply #76
Just looking at Levi's last qtr goal. Come off the boot very well, then the wind blew it one way towards the behinds, the it blew back the other way to go thxrough. Must've been windy as all f.

Na just reverse swing. I was willing it the other way as i was watching it. It worked.  :D :D

Reply #77
Na just reverse swing. I was willing it the other way as i was watching it. It worked.  :D :D

He used sandpaper on the ball before he kicked it..lol!

Reply #78
He used sandpaper on the ball before he kicked it..lol!

Wonder if Gatting was watching?
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #79
Wonder if Gatting was watching?

Has he recovered from the ball of the century yet?  Had to laugh when a commentator said that he looked like someone had stolen his lunch after that ball.

Reply #80
Watched the replay... not a great game to watch.

Few things:

The free kicks for a small hold around the ball up - I reckon it was 10-0 Sydney's way.

Sydney players love putting their head down charging at the ball and then throwing the head back as if they've been hit.

W@nk#rs / cheats.

Newman's game was better than I first thought. BOG by a mile.

Curnow shutting down Parker was very important. He's been going at 30-odd per match for the past couple of months and Ed kept him very quiet whilst having 28 himself.

The most noticeable thing for us was how many players we kept in our forward line. I remember under BB Harry kept very high and constantly trying to get the ball kicked over his head so we could get a fast break. It literally never happened and Harry looked utterly baffled by it. He got all of his possessions leading up.

The Swans were just trying to suck all their numbers back and get cheap goals out the back by handballing through the middle. It took so much effort from our mids to apply enough pressure to stop this. Caused those rushed kicks forward by the Swans which Newman mopped up as the loose man. His kicking was elite all day.

The effort was what won the game. Our blokes just ran their guts out all day.

Reply #81
Went out to the game yesterday with my boy, just about the ultimate football experience for him.
I found out beforehand where the cheer quad were sitting and booked our seats with them.
We went to the pub beforehand for the pre match meet and greet, only downside for the day was not winning a raffle.
Legend bloke at the pub handed me an envelope and says to me “take your boy out on the field for the guard of honour”.
Lined up on the ground for cheers and high fives as the lads took the ground.
My boy had a ball screaming his head off and cheering at the top of his lungs with the cheer squad guys.
A win against my equal most hated team, a great win!
And As we are cheering for the boys down on the boundary after the game, Gibbons runs straight over to my son and hands him a signed ball.

The boy hasn’t stopped playing with it since we got home. He is pretending he is a Patrick Cripps & Marc Murphy running around the house kicking it and handpassing to himself.

Couldn’t have planned a more legendary experience for him.

What a wonderful story deags.
Hope your boy continues to love our mighty CFC, and master his ball skills.
Coming together is the beginning.
Keeping together is progress.
Working together is success.
Henry Ford.

Reply #82
I thought that was Newman and Plowman's best game yet. Considering we lost Marchy, Weiters, and Goddard in the past 2 games and Jones has just returned, our backline was fantastic.
Despite all the changes, our backs seem exceptionally cohesive. No doubt Simmo, Daisy, and Newman to a lesser degree, are instrumental in this. Both the old boys played with such passion.  It's a real credit to them, and the coaching staff.

Levi is rejuvenated and must be loving his footy right now. At this rate, he'll get another year or so.

As for Murph and Ed in the midfield. Who'd have thought ????
I didn't think I'd see further improvement from Ed. Wrong. To his credit, he's taken his game to a new level. Have to be one of the best taggers in the competition. Not only limiting his opponent but offensively damaging. As for Murph, he's wound back the clock and seems more aggressive. Never saw that coming either.

I've been critical of Lang. He did a couple of things that gave me a little hope. He jumped straight in when Dow went down ✔ He sprinted to spoil his opponent when Swans had some momentum late in the game✔ He kicked a goal✔

Go Blues
Coming together is the beginning.
Keeping together is progress.
Working together is success.
Henry Ford.

Reply #83
What a wonderful story deags.
Hope your boy continues to love our mighty CFC, and master his ball skills.

Thanks.
He still hasn't stopped! A couple of photo frames and a vase down, but what price a Blues fan!

Reply #84
Thanks.
He still hasn't stopped! A couple of photo frames and a vase down, but what price a Blues fan!

A soul saved, Bluebagger for life!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #86
....time to start our our dynasty.
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #87
Just got back from Sydney and a tour of country NSW. Surprised to find the post game celebrations had fallen off the rotation. Obviously we are more interested in talking about what is wrong than what is right.
First time in Sydney since 1986 when Cats was playing and Doull matched up on Capper. Better result this time.
Almost 35000 people there,  mostly Sydney, Carlton was able to take the crowd out of the game which meant there was very little atmosphere. The game was totally contested which Carlton dominated and we probably should have won by more but the players were very determined to keep the game in tight.
Sydney is very discipline, stick to their structures and have better skills, whereas Carlton has the potential to be anything, we just need to improve our skills, particularly our field kicking.
Sydney's lack of big men meant that losing Goddard was not such a big blow. He actually looked pretty comfortable out there and since Casboult and Jones are in their 30's, he could be pretty handy into the future.
Silvagni and Casboult are the two biggest improvers this year. Sometimes we concentrate too much on what people can't do and miss what they can.
It was a good solid win, and on reflection, a win we should have been expecting but our history over the past 15 years has lowered our confidence.
For the rest of the season, there are two games we should win, Gold Coast and St.Kilda, we must be a big show against Adelaide, and we need to be competitive against West Coast, Richmond and Geelong. It would be great to finish with eight wins for the season.

Reply #88
Just got back from Sydney and a tour of country NSW. Surprised to find the post game celebrations had fallen off the rotation. Obviously we are more interested in talking about what is wrong than what is right.
First time in Sydney since 1986 when Cats was playing and Doull matched up on Capper. Better result this time.
Almost 35000 people there,  mostly Sydney, Carlton was able to take the crowd out of the game which meant there was very little atmosphere. The game was totally contested which Carlton dominated and we probably should have won by more but the players were very determined to keep the game in tight.
Sydney is very discipline, stick to their structures and have better skills, whereas Carlton has the potential to be anything, we just need to improve our skills, particularly our field kicking.
Sydney's lack of big men meant that losing Goddard was not such a big blow. He actually looked pretty comfortable out there and since Casboult and Jones are in their 30's, he could be pretty handy into the future.
Silvagni and Casboult are the two biggest improvers this year. Sometimes we concentrate too much on what people can't do and miss what they can.
It was a good solid win, and on reflection, a win we should have been expecting but our history over the past 15 years has lowered our confidence.
For the rest of the season, there are two games we should win, Gold Coast and St.Kilda, we must be a big show against Adelaide, and we need to be competitive against West Coast, Richmond and Geelong. It would be great to finish with eight wins for the season.

Sad but true Blue Moon.  I think we're all a little shell shocked from the majority of the last 20 years.  It really sucks starting the season so poorly and not having a hope of playing finals from somewhere around round 5.  Again.  I'm loving this resurgence but am very cautious about getting too excited as yet.  Another 3 or 4 wins and I'll be very happy with the second half of the season.  I dunno the stats but we have hardly won a game in the back half of the season for the last 4 years.  Something like 5 - 10 at a guess.  That's shizen, and gives us no impetus going into the next season.  It's super important we change that this season, and so far so good.  Every game matters for the rest of the year.  We should probably celebrate the wins a little more.  But we're scared little kittens now.  Go Blues ! 

Reply #89
Dont think we need to get too cocky that we are are sure things to beat GC and StKilda......Stkilda with Richo have been tough work but now have a better coach in a honeymoon period looking to win that senior role. IMO the Saints will be tough work and its naive to think we can just rock up and beat them.

GC will have their backs against the wall and all teams are dangerous when that happens, GC could be a coach killer too, everyone is suddenly jumping onboard the
Teague bandwagon and expectation is high of a win. IMO this game is one where Teague now has everything to lose and nothing to gain.....if he wins it will just go down
as a routine expected win if he loses it be a nail in his coffin for the senior job and the training wheels will be back on.
Lets hope the players have the right attitude this week ,expect a decent contest and dont let Teague down...