Skip to main content
Topic: Lance McGovern (Read 9639 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Lance McGovern

Reply #15
Ohh my, Bolton's done it again!

If sMurph hadn't been captain, this would never have happened!

Our fitness staff are so poor, what we really need are the high performance team from the Dawks!

::)

So why is Teagues fault?
Grow up and read the post again.
Don’t see why Teague cops it from DJC.
He is head coach, do you believe he should publicly ridicule him?

You’re another who can’t get over Bolton’s dismissal due to his failures

Reply #16
So why is Teagues fault?
Grow up and read the post again.
Don’t see why Teague cops it from DJC.
He is head coach, do you believe he should publicly ridicule him?

You’re another who can’t get over Bolton’s dismissal due to his failures

You get that you are again the one who brought Bolton into this thread.

You do it everywhere! You have the same handful of individuals you hate that you blame or associate for pretty much everything you see as wrong with the club! You are obsessed!

DJC did not mention Bolton!

DJC made a simple statement about Teague defending McGovern's poor game, in a public statement made in a post-match presser. Comments that Teague must now wear and as DJC stated it now appears as a rookie mistake. Teague cannot cherry pick what goes on his CV and what gets excluded, it's all public domain, it's all open for debate!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #17
Many coaches, not only DT, keep player issues close to their chest and try to work through them more privately first. I don't have a problem with that. Some things are better kept out of the spotlight while an internal resolution can be found. Enough of the soap operas.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #18
You get that you are again the one who brought Bolton into this thread.

You do it everywhere! You have the same handful of individuals you hate that you blame or associate for pretty much everything you see as wrong with the club! You are obsessed!

DJC did not mention Bolton!

DJC made a simple statement about Teague defending McGovern's poor game, in a public statement made in a post-match presser. Comments that Teague must now wear and as DJC stated it now appears as a rookie mistake. Teague cannot cherry pick what goes on his CV and what gets excluded, it's all public domain, it's all open for debate!

FFS

The article is about McGovern.

As I said, do you expect Teague to throw him under the bus publicly.

All of a sudden DJC is criticising the coach.

It’s not a rookie mistake.
He is supporting his player publicly.

Reply #19
Teague last week said he's been unable to to train much all year. You don't look that out of shape at an AFL club unless there is an issue. They'd never allow it.

So why is his approach to training and fitness now being described as unprofessional?  And why does he have to complete a specific training block before being considered for selection?

I get that the coach has to stand up for his players but it sounds like Mitch was being a decoy at training too.  It’s not a good look for the coach to be saying one thing and the club to apparently contradict his message.

My main concern is how McGovern lost condition this far into the season.  I would have expected Russell to pick up any fitness issues before they became a concern.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #20
FFS

The article is about McGovern.

As I said, do you expect Teague to throw him under the bus publicly.

All of a sudden DJC is criticising the coach.

It’s not a rookie mistake.
He is supporting his player publicly.

Not criticising the coach - expressing concern at the club apparently contradicting both of Teague’s explanations for McGovern’s poor form.  Is McGovern a decoy, is he unfit and unable to train or is he unprofessional and not meeting standards?  The club should pick one explanation and stick with it.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #21
The easier option  was obviously offered to Mitch first.  Now he gets the harder one. Hopefully now he will respond.

Reply #22
Both MacGovern lads came with the rep of being poor trainers.  I hope group standards prevail.
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #23
I said in pre-season we wouldn't see the best of McGovern this year after hearing about the stress fractures in his back.  VINDICATED.

Russell or no Russell.  You cannot replace a solid pre season, even with blocks of heavy training, because these days the players focus more on recovery during the week than they do actual strength and conditioning.

Look at Tom Williamson and how badly they have effected his career over the last 2 years.  Bloke can barely get on the park.  McGovern has done well to get out there, and its worth noting that he plays with a fair amount of aggression (some of his tackles have been rippers).

Its a credit to him we have gotten what we have gotten out of him this year where he is still in a top few on the goal kicking table.

Lets not get all high and mighty here.  We are talking about a minor set back causing even the most profesional of players real difficulty with getting on the park and performing consistently.  Have a look at Matty Krezuer's career.  Bloke has been nothing but the consumate proffessional.  I see him often enough to know that he is meticulous with his preparation and diet, and even he has been someone who has struggled to get on the park consistently.

"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #24
Is it "high and mighty" to expect our guys to be fully fit and prepared when they take to the field wearing our jumper?  ???

Reply #26
Is it "high and mighty" to expect our guys to be fully fit and prepared when they take to the field wearing our jumper?  ???

Yes and no Cookie.

Fully fit and prepared is relative to where the team is at.  If you were to make a rule that players would only play when they were 100% fit and ready to go, then you would struggle to field a team most weeks.

We only hear about significant set backs.  The type that prevent players from being able to play at all.

Sometimes they strap up an ankle, and take a pain killer.  Sometimes they play with a rib shield on.  Or a helmet.  Or a mask.  Or hamstring strain which will not hamper running, but prevent them kicking the footy with any depth or power.

everything is relative.  If you ever see a player go a whole game kicking minimally, and handballing, odds are they will have some sort of leg muscle complaint that doesnt prevent them from playing footy, but limits their effectiveness.

McGovern has been carrying a back injury for most of the year, and then add the ankle that he rolled about a month and a half ago.

Charlie Curnow carried a knee since roughly the Gold Coast game.  He was able to kick 7 against the Bulldogs, and broke down against Freo with that same injury.

When I say high and mighty, its in respect to expecting people to give 100% of themselves, each and every time.  Somtimes they can only give you 90% of themselves, and that has to be sufficient, because no one is in their peak condition and form every day for their entire sporting career.  The good ones are able to play well even when they are not.

Paul Hewson

Reply #27
@Thry

Understand that we are all human, biorhythms, injuries etc. However, we have had other fully fit alternatives to Mitch who has been incapable of satisfactorily performing his on field role because he's not fit/hampered by injury. Why aren't those avenues pursued? Players seen to be getting an obvious free ride are team morale killers - I've seen that and it applies to all teams, sporting or otherwise. What Mitch can't do to perform his role others have to cover for and it can put them under pressure and make them look bad - that wears thin after a while.

Reply #28
@Thry

Understand that we are all human, biorhythms, injuries etc. However, we have had other fully fit alternatives to Mitch who has been incapable of satisfactorily performing his on field role because he's not fit/hampered by injury. Why aren't those avenues pursued? Players seen to be getting an obvious free ride are team morale killers - I've seen that and it applies to all teams, sporting or otherwise. What Mitch can't do to perform his role others have to cover for and it can put them under pressure and make them look bad - that wears thin after a while.

I understand that Cookie.

You would have to have an intimate knowledge of the alternatives, and McGovern to really make that judgement call.

From what I have seen he has provided some tangible benefit with his presence that others have not been able to until we put Kennedy forward.  That means the alternatives that you were considering, might not be the same that the club were considering for McGovern.  From the outside looking in, the alternative option was who, Patrick Kerr??

the club appear to have wanted someone a little bit less mark and kick, and more split pack, contested mark, and perhaps forward pressuer.  Thats not Kerr.  Hes a mark and kick type.  Fasolo is also a mark and kick time.  Cameron Polson isnt splitting a pack, hes getting front and square.

Its a tricky one.  You can oversimplify these things sometimes.  Remember Teague has only had 5 games with us, and has had a bit of adversity to deal with in terms of first Charlie, then Harry, then weitering, and now Goddard breaking down in terms of talls.  Mcgovern is a medium type.  Kennedy is a medium type.  Fasolo is too small, Kerr is probably too big.  Who are the others that you speak of, and are they in fact 100% fit and ready to go?  Mcgovern can be a game winner, but he hasnt been on this year, but even so, he commands respect which means others get lesser defenders than they might otherwise.

Paul Hewson

Reply #29
@Thry

I agree that I'm not across all of the details of what's been going on in the club - we on here can only guess. However, if you wan't a pack splitter then Levi come on down? We had cover for him in defence.