Skip to main content
Topic: Lance McGovern (Read 9678 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Lance McGovern

Reply #45
Its always easier to set these sorts of standards once the season has run away from you a bit.

McGovern did roll his ankle against the Bulldogs too.

I am going to float another idea.  The club had probably stated privately that they wanted the team to start winning games.  Bolton lives and dies by his decisions, and the ones he made were reasoned, but ultimately not quite right to win games of football and due to not winning more than 1 game in 10 (forget the last year, its not worth bringing into the equation) in a "do or die" sort of year for our club, where we have swapped first rounders is ultimately what finished him.

Coaches cant afford to be setting standards for proffesionalism in year 4 of their tenure.  Its just not good enough.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #46
Yes, I agree Thry. The only thing I must question is the idea of autonomy that is inherent in your post and our clubs actions.

I seriously doubt Bolton is the solo cause of the situation, but at this stage he's apparently wearing the solo blame!

It doesn't sit well with many of us that have lived through events like this many times before, our club seems to have a persistent and rotten culture in this regard.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #47
every club plays their better players when they aren't quite right.  Mitch does a few nice things every game that make a difference, but he wasn't fit enough to do enough of them imo, and eventually realised they were better off taking him out and getting him fit.  good idea.  was it done too late?  probably. 

good post earlier about jack being overlooked for Fas & Mitch in round 1.

i like the fact that a line has been drawn pretty much at the bye, and the club is trying to squeeze every last drop out of this season.  if it means Mitch has to have a conditioning block late in the season and he gets to play 3 or 4 games with more fitness, and that helps us win even one of those games, then it's a win.  I dunno if it's to do with a coaching change, but we seem as a club to now be trying to win EVERY game.  This i like.  Bugger the future.  Our team needs to win now.  That will breed wins in the future.

Reply #48
every club plays their better players when they aren't quite right.  Mitch does a few nice things every game that make a difference, but he wasn't fit enough to do enough of them imo, and eventually realised they were better off taking him out and getting him fit.  good idea.  was it done too late?  probably. 

good post earlier about jack being overlooked for Fas & Mitch in round 1.

i like the fact that a line has been drawn pretty much at the bye, and the club is trying to squeeze every last drop out of this season.  if it means Mitch has to have a conditioning block late in the season and he gets to play 3 or 4 games with more fitness, and that helps us win even one of those games, then it's a win.  I dunno if it's to do with a coaching change, but we seem as a club to now be trying to win EVERY game.  This i like.  Bugger the future.  Our team needs to win now.  That will breed wins in the future.

I think you could guarantee that he'll be busting his ass to get back in 2 weeks time....vs Crows!!

Reply #49
I dunno if it's to do with a coaching change, but we seem as a club to now be trying to win EVERY game.  This i like.  Bugger the future.  Our team needs to win now.  That will breed wins in the future.

Agree!!!

Reply #51
Not exactly sure how playing senior players out of position and exposing too many young players in the midfield constitutes playing for the future, but that was what we were doing.

Making winning a priority is the best way to educate and develop young players and create a culture that leads to long term success.

Nearly all sports people I have had anything to do with love winning. It becomes like a drug when you repeatedly succeed. Ultra competitive sports people crave it.

Thankfully we are now striving for it.

Reply #52
Not exactly sure how playing senior players out of position and exposing too many young players in the midfield constitutes playing for the future, but that was what we were doing.

Making winning a priority is the best way to educate and develop young players and create a culture that leads to long term success.

Nearly all sports people I have had anything to do with love winning. It becomes like a drug when you repeatedly succeed. Ultra competitive sports people crave it.

Thankfully we are now striving for it.

It reeks to me of trying to stamp one's authority JH.

And I agree, winning is the best strategy....
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #53
Playing guys out of position and winning as a short term benefit more likely pushes into the heart of the debate about building a team to finish 9th versus a squad that can win a flag!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #55
Playing guys out of position and winning as a short term benefit more likely pushes into the heart of the debate about building a team to finish 9th versus a squad that can win a flag!

And Bolton was addressing that how exactly that showed ANY indication that his way was a better way to win a flag.

Spurious.
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #56

And Bolton was addressing that how exactly that showed ANY indication that his way was a better way to win a flag.

Spurious.

It's as valid as the counterargument, perhaps even more as it's supported by the earlier statements from SOS, when he discussed the difficulties of building a list and developing youth to win a flag instead of just being competitive mid-tier.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #57
It's as valid as the counterargument, perhaps even more as it's supported by the earlier statements from SOS, when he discussed the difficulties of building a list and developing youth to win a flag instead of just being competitive mid-tier.

I repeat - and what evidence is there to suggest anything Bolton was doing was moving us along ANY sort of pathway to that goal?

Or have I missed your point (again)?  ;)
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #58
I repeat - and what evidence is there to suggest anything Bolton was doing was moving us along ANY sort of pathway to that goal?

Or have I missed your point (again)?  ;)

What's the evidence he wasn't, ........ kapisch?

Your argument is bilateral, so in effect worthless, arbitrary, it doesn't contribute anything, or select a perspective, so it's spurious!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #59
What's the evidence he wasn't, ........ kapisch?

Your argument is bilateral, so in effect worthless, arbitrary, it doesn't contribute anything, or select a perspective, so it's spurious!

You're kidding.  :-[ :-[

The evidence he wasn't - try the win/loss count. QED.

Capiche?  ::)
Finals, then 4 in a row!