Skip to main content
Topic: Post Game Passion: AFL 2019 Rd 18: Carlton vs Gold Coast (Read 12786 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Post Game Passion: AFL 2019 Rd 18: Carlton vs Gold Coast

Reply #105
Levi was called to play on after taking a mark.  The ball was knocked out of his hands and his follow up tackle resulted in a ball up.

It was a crap call from the umpire and robbed us of a deep inside 50.

or that.

I have no memory of that, must have been getting a beer.
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #106
or that.

:D

“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #107
or that.

It was 3rd quarter, late, happened just off the centre square.  I thin he had taken a step sideways.

Anyway, it looked like he waited too long to dispose of the footy more than anything else, and I remember thinking he had to fix his own mess.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #108
It was 3rd quarter, late, happened just off the centre square.  I thin he had taken a step sideways.

Anyway, it looked like he waited too long to dispose of the footy more than anything else, and I remember thinking he had to fix his own mess.

Yep
I thought he took a step off the line too, kind of thought about what he was doing, but by that time the umpire had called 'play on'.

He did well in the follow up though.

Reply #109
The problem is the ambiguity in the implementation of the rules, if the umpire is slow calling the mark the player might immediately think it's not going to be paid and presumes play on.

After all the players are drilled to play to the whistle. So the player sometimes thinks no mark so put some space between himself and opponents to avoid being tackled, so they instinctively step, and then the umpire sees the step and calls play on.

It happens over and over again.

It's also caused by two umpires in disagreement, having more umpires makes this worse.

Umpires need to be decisive in two areas. They have to call a mark or play on immediately, and they have to stamp out the early speculative tackles.

At the moment the players are coached to act in the time gap between a mark and a umpires call, as it lets them hold up play while claiming ignorance, often they get away with it, other times they cry foul if pinged for holding the man!

I wonder if scrapping the 50M and bringing back the 15m would allow umpires to act more freely.
The Force Awakens!